Afrightening thought...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 8:58:08 am)
    Afrightening thought...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SEOUL, South Korea (Feb. 6) - Pre-emptive attacks on North Korea's nuclear facilities would trigger a ''total war,'' the communist state warned Thursday after U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld labeled the North's government a ''terrorist regime.''

The harsh rhetoric came a day after North Korea said it was putting the operation of its nuclear facilities on a ''normal footing,'' triggering fears it was about to produce weapons materials.

''When the U.S. makes a surprise attack on our peaceful facilities, it will spark off a total war,'' the state-run newspaper Rodong Sinmun said in a commentary carried by North Korea's official news agency, KCNA.

Ri Pyong Gap, a spokesman and deputy director at the North's Foreign Ministry, told The London-based Guardian newspaper that the impoverished country was entitled to launch a pre-emptive strike against the United States.

''The United States says that after Iraq, we are next,'' the paper quoted Ri as saying, ''but we have our own countermeasures. Pre-emptive attacks are not the exclusive right of the U.S.''

It's customary of the North to launch saber-rattling invectives against Washington when it has a dispute to settle.

Although Washington has repeatedly denied it plans to invade North Korea, Rumsfeld said restarting the nuclear program would give the North a troubling option - making nuclear weapons for itself or selling them to any other country.

''That is something the world has to take very seriously,'' he said late Wednesday. ''It's a regime that is a terrorist regime. It's a regime that has been involved in things that are harmful to other countries.''

A North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said late Wednesday that his government ''is now putting the operation of its nuclear facilities for the production of electricity on a normal footing after their restart.''

The statement left it unclear how far North Korea has proceeded in reactivating its nuclear facilities, which include a 5-megawatt nuclear reactor, a storage building for 8,000 spent fuel rods and a plant where those rods could be reprocessed to yield enough plutonium for four or five bombs in a matter of months.

Last week, U.S. officials said spy satellites detected covered trucks apparently taking on cargo near the storage building. Experts were divided over whether North Korea was removing the rods for reprocessing or just pretending to do so in a bluff to escalate tensions.

The latest North Korean statement left officials wondering whether North Korea was trying to take advantage of Washington's preoccupation with Iraq to ratchet up pressure in its own standoff with the United States.

North Korea said in December that it was reactivating its facilities to generate badly needed electricity. But U.S. officials say the amount of electricity that can be produced in the Yongbyon facilities is negligible.

The most immediate step the North could take is likely to be restarting the 5-megawatt reactor, which can produce more spent fuel rods, South Korean officials said.

The International Atomic Energy Agency, the Vienna-based U.N. nuclear monitoring agency, said it couldn't confirm any new nuclear activities because its inspectors were sent out of the country in December.

''We are trying various channels to confirm what it means,'' said an official at the South Korean Foreign Ministry, who spoke on condition of anonymity. ''At this moment, we have no information to confirm that North Korea has reactivated its nuclear facilities, that is the reactor and other key facilities.''

Even as it presses toward war with Iraq, the United States has insisted it wants a peaceful solution in the standoff with North Korea.

President Bush ''keeps all of his options open,'' National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice said in a television interview. ''But he happens to believe that this is a situation with North Korea that can be resolved diplomatically.''

Analysts say North Korea, which often accuses the United States of plotting to invade it, is fearful that Washington would turn up pressure on the isolated communist nation if the U.S. military wins a war with Iraq.

The North froze its nuclear facilities in a 1994 energy deal with the United States, but the deal unraveled after U.S. officials said in October that North Korea had admitted embarking on a second, clandestine nuclear program.

Washington and its allies suspended oil shipments as punishment. The North then took steps to restart the nuclear facilities, expelled U.N. monitors and withdrew from a global nuclear arms control treaty.

U.S. officials say they suspect the nuclear facilities were used to extract enough weapons-grade plutonium for one or two weapons before they were frozen.

The U.N. nuclear agency's 35-nation board of governors will meet next Wednesday to discuss the standoff and is almost certain to send the dispute to the U.N. Security Council - a move that could lead to economic sanctions against Pyongyang.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/03 1:34:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Afrightening thought...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is the exact reason we need a Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars Program). Those North Koreans are some crazy bastards, and they would not hesitate to push the big red button.

I don't know if they actually have the means to launch a nuclear attack on United States soil, but we ought to think long and hard about that. Do they have submarines that can launch missiles?

The day has finally come where these "rogue states" have access to nuclear power. It is a great equalizer. We need to stomp that little man out of existence before he actually has the means to destroy us.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Archangel
    (2/6/03 1:56:59 pm)
    Reply Eh
    For some reason or another I get the feeling that the
    world population will be DECREASED in the following
    years rather then INCREASED .

Sometimes I really wonder not IF but WHEN the shit is going to hit the fan ?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 3:50:45 pm)
    Reply Re: Eh
    I have a strong gut feeling Iraq and N. Korea have been/are in direct communications and are fomenting as much trouble and stress as they can to turn what little of world opinion is left against us. N. Korea naturally wants the US to GIVE them food, fuel and money. Sorta international blackmail to be good. However, like the Iraqis, they continue to develop all sorts of illict weapons and to sponsor terrorist organizations.

This is going to be a close run thing with Iraq, while looking over our shoulder at N.K. - I don't believe we can field the assests needed for both situations very quickly. Let's just hope the Iraqi problem can be quickly dealt with and then head the naval and air support to the North Pacific.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/03 4:56:01 pm)
    Souldn't our state dept. be talking with China the next door neighbor to NK. If I was China I would be getting pretty nervous about those slimey slippery bastards south of them. They cannot trust them anymore than the rest of the world.

Those wimps would be history if they didn't always hide behind some foreign power to keep feeding and jacking them up economically.

They are just little bully boys trying to scare the world with their BS.

Gunguy

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 5:39:12 pm)
    Well, GG -

Gotta say, they sure did a good job of scaring the shat out of me when I was over there!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/03 5:53:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: Eh

Quote:
    I don't believe we can field the assests needed for both situations very quickly.

Maybe not quickly, but we can field the assets. Just give America a reason to tool up and prepare for war. The Japs and Germans made that mistake too, thinking that we had neither the willpower nor the muscle to confront them.

North Korea is picking a fight that they have no chance of winning. They are talking about pre-emptive strikes. Go ahead! Piss us off! We'll be all over them like stink on sh*t.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/03 7:11:20 pm)
    Kdub01, I hear ya, but them dingle berrys had their butts kicked good before the Russkies and Chicoms jumped into the frakecuss. But when you guys got up to strength and opened up big can whoopass on them they damn well couldn't handle it.

By the way, thanks a lot for doing your bit over there, I missed it by two months.

Sniper 1952, I'm with you on shutting them bully boys up once and for all.

Like ole TR once said: :speak softly but carry a big can of whoopass...with a can opener.

Gunguy

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/6/03 11:45:00 pm)
    Those statements of pre-emptive strikes are not new. N. Korea has a habit of extreme rhetoric that the world just laughs at. They have no intention of starting a war. This is just the typical saber-rattling in the newspapers that keep the masses thinking about anything but their rumbling bellies. Besides, they don't have anything that can reach the US. Their longest range missiles can only reach parts of Japan.

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/7/03 8:23:11 am)
    Reply | Edit Re: Eh
    Maybe so, but we would do well to take them seriously. We made that mistake before 9/11, and I would hope we have learned our lesson.

They may not have the wherewithal to attack us militarily, but they can damn sure aid terrorists in hitting us below the belt. That kind of threat is to be taken seriously, because I have no doubt that the North Korean leader would do it.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/7/03 9:47:50 am)
    Anyone who makes threats against the USA is being taken very seriously. If they attack us they and their hate are dead, a greasy spot is all that will remain.

GG

GunRights4US
    (2/7/03 12:22:10 pm)
    Reply North Korea
    NK certainly has a long history of talking tough. Their history of lying through their teeth is pretty well established also. I was furious when a certain previous administration inked a deal to help them build nuke power plants. How stupid can THAT be?

It makes me mad also to see the SK's show a near complete lapse of memory for what Americans did in their land in the name of freedom. Only the older ones who remember the war are solidly in our camp. Many of the young South Koreans want to blame the US for the intransigence of the the North.

Given the North's lack of predictability...we should keep our hand on our sword and be ready at a moment's notice.

I would advocate leaving the South to fend for itself, except it's too late for that now. If we pulled out after this, it would be viewed as running, and I can't go for that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.