After reading several post let's talk full auto

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by The4thhorsemen, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:18 PM.

1. The4thhorsemen

The4thhorsemen Private Military Contractor Supporting Member

I have the pleasure of having access to a wide variety of full auto weapons through my company. The primary reason for full auto is suppressive fire.... putting as much led down range to keep the enemy behind cover and allow strategic movement of our own elements. On the other hand we must qualify with various full auto weapons at a variety of targets including rubber dummies, steel and paper. A full auto weapon is definitely something to respect and regard with in the hands of someone who is well versed in its use. I've had guys come out to my range with an array of NFA legal " fast fire" toys. Generally they are wasting ammo and spraying and praying. From trigger devices to triggers to stocks all of them require a bumpfire type of use, in and of itself making for inaccurate fire. With a true full auto weapon the shooter is able to shoulder the weapon correctly hence keeping him on target ( more often). If these devices created a true full auto then they would be required to have a tax stamp. Now on the other hand I have seen guys who train and practice constantly with these upgrades and they are extremely proficient with their weapons, even under stress. So I feel they do have a place in the industry IF the end user is willing to spend the time and money to become proficient with their weapon system. The truth is triburst is the most accurate full auto fire. Furthermore those I know who are proficient work tirelessly on triburst fire.

carver likes this.
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member Supporting Member

Going to add a big plus to controlled 3 round burst. It allows many more options down range to multiple targets.

dbcooper, carver and The4thhorsemen like this.

3. The4thhorsemen

The4thhorsemen Private Military Contractor Supporting Member

Absolutely after re reading I realize I should have put more of a point talking about burst fire. Thank you for your comment.

carver likes this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3-round-burst triggers are a cheap substitute for training.

The4thhorsemen likes this.
  5. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Agree 100%-the Colt 3 rd burst is really stupid(but it's a Colt,what do you expect)if you squeeze trigger and 2 rds shoot-next time you squeeze-1 shot comes out....Now H&K are self resetting-they go back to 3shot regardless.I love making a game of full auto,just caress trigger and with anything other than a MAC,you can do 2-3rd burst.Had a 1919A1 with a little stone work,gave nice short bursts.Stop believing the crap on the tube.

6. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Last full auto I fired was an M16A1 in 1984 - the M145s we had on board ship were almost all semi auto only, and only the senior GMGs got to play with the M60s, M2s or fire the 3"50s...so I have little experience with it. I did shoot a two round burst MP-5/10 an FBI agent let me use very briefly - that was fun, but it was a doubling gun only.
    Can't afford it now, and even so, I reload and cast, so I don't feel like burning up hours work of work in a few seconds. ;) Having said all of that, I would love to see NFA repealed to bring select fire back to the main stream, but even then I probably wouldn't play. Also I would be careful about talking about converting any to double, triple or such - I work in prison; I don't want to live in one.

joe45c likes this.
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3 round burst for a light patrol weapon is fine.
    It has been said in Viet Nam that for every enemy killed the us fired 50,000 rounds

8. TigerLeo

TigerLeo Well-Known Member

Other than suppressive fire I see no point in full auto, burst fire on the other hand could have it's uses. Biggest problem is can you really carry enough ammo to make it useful?