The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9mm Beretta 92X Centurion that I use for my EDC. It has been quite reliable so far and makes me feel safe when I'm carrying it... that is, until I got a job transfer, and had to relocate out in the boonies. There are no bears or cougars in my area, but there are foxes, snakes & lots of wild boars. Most of the locals that I interacted with, have told me that a 9mm wouldn't be very effective against a 200 lbs boar charging at you, and have recommended that I get a higher caliber handgun. Which brings me here.

Should I consider getting a 10mm? Or, is a .45 ACP firearm, loaded with hardcast rounds more than enough?

I'm not really interested in hunting, just self-defense.

·
Super Moderator
13,753 Posts
A Glock 40 holds 15+1 rounds of 10mm. Out of a 6" barrel the velocity is over 1,200 FPS, that makes it legal to hunt with in the State of WA, I understand you're not interested in hunting, but in my state if you shoot any animal, you better have the correct firearm and license, otherwise your guilty until proven Innocent.

I don't own a Glock and have never seen a wild boar, just saying.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or a .40 with 180 grain +P FMJ's & JHP's alternating? Cheaper than 10 mm, more capacity than a .45.
Sounds like a great choice, but unfortunately, I'm in the middle of nowhere & my choices are limited. There are 2 gun shops in the area and neither of them have any .40 cals currently in stock. They do have some .357 magnums, but they're all revolvers and I don't have much experience with revolvers. I'll see if I can get a second-hand .40 cal from someone. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
22,041 Posts
I would go with the 1911 45acp. I don't think you will need more than 7 rounds. We have no wild hogs around here but I have friends that tell me they are easy to kill. When I was at the TFF BBQ in TN one of the range safety officers was talking about hunting hogs and I ask him what rifle would work the best. He said he used his AR-15. He also carried his 1911 in 45acp as a backup. I think this guy knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Was a story some years ago about an Alaskan who took down a charging Grizzly with a 9mm. I’d rather have more capacity and less recoil with good ammo versus a high caliber and high recoil handgun with less capacity and more difficult for me to control. Coonan makes a semi auto 1911 style 357mag if you were so inclined (instead of a revolver) but low capacity magazines. Kinda pricey too. Maybe get some of the Lehigh defense extreme defender +P for your 9mm until you find a higher caliber handgun.

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
I know that either round WILL work.. but i would carry neither for such a purpose. I like to be well over-gunned when it comes to close encounters. IMHO... 357mag MINIMUM, 44 mag.. better.. skip 45colt and 454 altogether.. .460 ok.. .500swmag good too.

Remember.. if there is hog out there.. their might be bear too. Last hog hunt I did.. found bear prints on my track from the walk in that morning.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sounds like a great choice, but unfortunately, I'm in the middle of nowhere & my choices are limited. There are 2 gun shops in the area and neither of them have any .40 cals currently in stock. They do have some .357 magnums, but they're all revolvers and I don't have much experience with revolvers. I'll see if I can get a second-hand .40 cal from someone. Thanks for the suggestion.
Buffalo Bore makes some pretty aggressive 40 loads. If you go this route, make sure you purchase a sturdy gun! The 40 is already a high pressure pistol round.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd prefer the 10mm for its power (about 30% over the .45acp depending on load) and extra ammo on board, but would not feel unarmed with the latter. Never had any experience with wild boars, but would think there could be a significant difference between hunting them (seeking a broadside shot) and defending yourself against a charge, where you would be presented with the skull and front chest gristle plate. I have a Glock Model 40 and an M21, and carry them alternately on duty depending on assignment. The 10mm kicks a little more than the .45 but not as much as i expected, likely due to a little more weight out front, and this with a 175 Silvertip at a chronographed 1250 fps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
" Boy ...It aint what you shoot em with ... it's where you place the bullet! "

What my grandfather told me when I questioned his use of a single shot 22 LR rifle to hunt feral hogs with .
The old man took one every year while I was looking for squirrels .
Gary
Hahaha, yeah I've been told that before. But, getting a good shot placement on a charging sow can be a little difficult for an average Joe like myself.

Was a story some years ago about an Alaskan who took down a charging Grizzly with a 9mm. I’d rather have more capacity and less recoil with good ammo versus a high caliber and high recoil handgun with less capacity and more difficult for me to control. Coonan makes a semi auto 1911 style 357mag if you were so inclined (instead of a revolver) but low capacity magazines. Kinda pricey too. Maybe get some of the Lehigh defense extreme defender +P for your 9mm until you find a higher caliber handgun.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Coonan .357 magnum 1911s currently out of production?

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I know that either round WILL work.. but i would carry neither for such a purpose. I like to be well over-gunned when it comes to close encounters. IMHO... 357mag MINIMUM, 44 mag.. better.. skip 45colt and 454 altogether.. .460 ok.. .500swmag good too.

Remember.. if there is hog out there.. their might be bear too. Last hog hunt I did.. found bear prints on my track from the walk in that morning.
Why skip 45 colt 454? Most folks cannot handle those 460 and 500s. In a Ruger a 45 colt will do everything the 44 mag will do and then some with a little bigger bullet and less pressure. The 454 will handle 45 colt cowboy loads, normal colt loads, Ruger only loads and 454 dragon slayers, covers a lot of bases.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I suppose you could look into a Beretta 96A1 in .40 cal
It was interesting to see how in the first video, comparing a 40 Glock to a Beretta, how that when the Glock fired 3 or 4 rounds and got a little lighter, how he had to readjust his grip on the Glock but not on the heavier Beretta.

Before I changed handguns, I think I'd want more opinions on whether a good solid 9mm bullet would be adequate or not. Whatever you wind up with, it may take some time to get as familiar with it as you now seem to be with your 92. Around here there seems to be no shortage of 1911s both new and used. But 1911s and Glocks will certainly feel different to you than your 92. The only pig I ever shot was one from a hog lot for a bbq that weekend. I was the only guy there with a handgun, so my 6" 38spec 129gr hp between the eyes dropped him instantly. Good luck in your search.

(158) Beretta 96 vs Glock 22 Gen 4 - YouTube
(158) The Beretta .40 cal Border Marshal - YouTube

·
Registered
19,290 Posts
Why skip 45 colt 454? Most folks cannot handle those 460 and 500s. In a Ruger a 45 colt will do everything the 44 mag will do and then some with a little bigger bullet and less pressure. The 454 will handle 45 colt cowboy loads, normal colt loads, Ruger only loads and 454 dragon slayers, covers a lot of bases.
I just skip 45/454 since a 460 will shoot all those as well.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I'd carry either my 1911 45acp or my Ruger sa 45Colt, but after years of shooting the single action in cowboy shoots, I'm used to using it. Same with da revolvers and 1911s. It does take some time and practice though, esp with something charging towards you. That's why I was thinking to stay with the Beretta design in 9 or 40 if you can find one, if the extra punch is necessary.

The op has already said that he's not that familiar with revolvers yet, so for what he wants this for, it might not leave much time to get really good with one, what with the long da stroke and or cocking hammers.

Reactions: sroy95

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I just skip 45/454 since a 460 will shoot all those as well.
True but with almost 1/2" free bore for the shorter rounds accuracy suffers. Given the extra expense and size of the 460 it makes little sense unless you are really going to shoot a lot of 460s.....few do. For a while there it was not uncommon to find as new used 460s and 500s along with an almost full box of ammo for sale at the LGS 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd carry either my 1911 45acp or my Ruger sa 45Colt, but after years of shooting the single action in cowboy shoots, I'm used to using it. Same with da revolvers and 1911s. It does take some time and practice though, esp with something charging towards you. That's why I was thinking to stay with the Beretta design in 9 or 40 if you can find one, if the extra punch is necessary.

The op has already said that he's not that familiar with revolvers yet, so for what he wants this for, it might not leave much time to get really good with one, what with the long da stroke and or cocking hammers.
Thanks a lot for your insight. I'll see if I can get myself a Beretta 96A1. If not, then I think I'll do just fine with a Glock, or a 1911. Even though I carry a Beretta, I'm not totally unfamiliar with 1911s. My dad owns Colt Government and I've taken a few shots with it, at the range.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts