The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another item from my father's collection for which I have no background or history. It appears to be significantly older than the majority of his other long guns, and has some really interesting (to me, anyway lol) etchings on the metal portions. The absence of any model or serial number stampings also lead me to believe this shotgun may be relatively unique.

I would want to make certain I have at least some idea of its value before considering offering it for sale. Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to offer!

IMG_9118.JPG
IMG_9121.JPG
IMG_9122.JPG
IMG_9123.JPG
IMG_9124.JPG
IMG_9125.JPG
IMG_9126.JPG
IMG_9127.JPG

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
To get things started you have what is known as a Prussian Daly. The serial no. is 2042 as seen on the trigger guard. It is at least pre WWII and may well be Pre WWI. It is a pigeon or trap shotgun intended for competition shooting. The recoil pad hurts the value and was added later in the guns life. We need to see very sharp pictures of the markings on the underside of the barrel and maybe on the inside of the receiver. This is a very nice gun by the way.

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
Prussian Daly's are highly desirable and that one being in trap guise might have significant value. As OG mentioned clear pictures of the proofs on the bottom of the barrel and on the receiver might tell a great deal about the gun.

Being a dolls head extension, that tapered knob that drops into the top of the receiver, dates it pretty much as OG mentioned, at least pre-WWII and perhaps pre-WWI. Proofs should tell the story. Unless it's had the chamber lengthened it will require 2 1/2 in. shells rather than the newer 2 3/4 with the folded crimp.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, I'm amazed at the knowledge on hand in this community - very impressive! I plan to take some more photos this evening with my camera (used my phone for these), and share them here. Thanks for sharing your collective expertise, I really appreciate it!

@Old Guns , I don't know why I said there was no serial lol - it's perfectly visible & I even had it written down on my inventory tag... it's been a whirlwind this past week; I suppose the lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me. :confused:

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
When you take pictures concentrate on the proof marks on the underside of the barrel. They will tell the story. The gun is in very good condition except for the pad but finding an unaltered trap gun is next to impossible.

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
In the German Gun Collector's publication, "Waidmannsheil!" they ran a series on the Prussian Daly's and I want to remember a gentleman by the name of Linder did most of the buying for Daly. I belong to the GGCA and I don't remember anyone ever mentioning a Prussian/Linder/Daly trap gun. Point being they must be rare. I'm really curious to see the proofs.

Reactions: Kweeksdraw

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the info! I had another look at it tonight, and perhaps I'm a bit confused... The underside of the barrel (as I understand it - the metal portion) is completely smooth, with no markings whatsoever. I took some additional photos of the markings on the metal parts that are attached to the wood (I'm hoping this is what was requested and I'm just ignorant of the proper terminology)...

IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
You need to take the barrel off the frame to see the proof marks. Pull thew little lever on the forend and it will come off, then you can unhinge the barrels quite easily.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
22490099-6AA3-49DA-9D4C-69EA13BDB93C.jpeg
AFDCADA7-22CA-47AF-9FDF-EB4C85A7B12B.jpeg
E3A90BAE-A9B5-4565-8EBD-CA7F53B3044D.jpeg
27F4514F-B29A-4AA9-925B-3B3AF4BF23CD.jpeg
0340F744-D0B8-4973-AF4D-A398E2BADDE0.jpeg
800F97B9-B16F-400A-BEFD-8AAF5888BE69.jpeg
You need to take the barrel off the frame to see the proof marks. Pull thew little lever on the forend and it will come off, then you can unhinge the barrels quite easily.
Umm... Okay, I'm a little embarrassed now lol. Thank you for the clarification - here are some quick shots I took before leaving the house. I'm on the train in to the office and uploading these from my phone; once I get to my office I can try to clean them up a little.

If inconclusive, I'll try for better quality photos tonight.

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
No pictures of the proofs come up on my screen...:(

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
OG, evidently we aren't going to get to see the proofs on this one....:(

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
Welp, son-of-a-gun....where did I miss that one?

circled 12, 2 1/2 chambers
crown over W, choked
13/1 should be actual bore diameter.
Lack of date code puts it pre-WWI I believe.

The crossed pistols....I've seen that before but can't find it at the moment. Can't tell if it is HAL or BAL....or what it means

·
Premium Member
14,457 Posts
That's right!!!! I knew that I knew that but doggone it, couldn't remember! Thanks for blowing the dust off the file...:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts