AGENT ORANGE ISSUES TO DATE 23 MARCH 2016

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by rooter, Mar 23, 2016.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Perry and I were in the same construction battalion, Quang Tri province 1968....beginning this morning are posting from him and another veteran
    of that tour of duty directly or suspecting association with Agent Orange....Chief

Soft Tissue Sarcoma

IP: 71.122.150.242
    Posted on March 23, 2016 at 07:37:11 AM by Perry

I believe it was 2012 when I first posted about Agent Orange related Soft Tissue Sarcoma and me. Not all Soft Tissue Sarcomas are inside the very narrow window the VA has established from Agent Orange. It is a High Grade cancer, meaning it may spread rapidly and first shows itself as a bump on the leg, arm, or elsewhere. Unchecked it heads for the lungs and things get very bad fast. Since it is so rare most ALL doctors think it is nothing!

My initial experience was surgery and radiation on the area which was the lower right leg. My current issue consists of 4 small bumps outside the radiation tan line from earlier version. Since they are more widespread and radiation is not recommended close to previous other options are being pursued by Moffitt Cancer. Since I was still under Moffitt follow up plan the VA (not having Sarcoma surgeons) continued authorization. Current Moffitt plan 50/50 odds.

And I found out I have Prostate cancer. Yup, AO again. VA doctor doing fun filled prostate biopsy explained ALL men have a 30-35% chance of Prostate cancer Agent Orange exposure moves you to 70-75%. Having had cancer elsewhere sends the odds north of that even though they are not the same cancer. He also indicated my Prostate cancer is slow growing and left untreated would get me in 20 years.

So check for the small insignificant bumps and tell the doctor biopsy it or change doctors. This latest was overlooked by my primary even as I requested a biopsy. It was the VA dermatologist who found it just like the last time.

For me the count stands at two cancers and Neuropathy. I certain others reading this have faced similar issues from AO. Don’t give up the fight! Unbeknownst to us we were wounded by friendly fire it just took longer to become known.

Those living in Florida who shop at Publix grocery stores will understand BOGO (Buy One Get One free). Apparently I got the BOGO!

I encourage others who have had issues share them to help others understand what to look for and how to pursue.

2. rooter

Soft Tissue Sarcoma
    IP: 67.45.97.207
    Posted on March 23, 2016 at 09:57:50 AM by John R O'Brien

Eight years ago when I received the physical for AO Registry the Doc turned to his PC and posted Dermatology visits every 12 months.

I has bladder cancer...golf ball size tumor removed with 18 months of treatments.

Basil Cell Sarcoma, two surgeries cuts to the bone in my shoulder.

A lot of small removals by knife and a lot of freezing and burning of spots on my head and back. Today I doing a 3 week treatment of cancer cream on my head, fore head and temples.

The VA dermatology department does a good job for me.

The VA wants to do a 2 & 1/2 hour surgery on my right sinus. Scar tissue removal from years of sinus infections.

I am now 100%...pan sanasius, istimic heart disease, hearing loss, COPD and PTSD.

Veterans....Keep going to the doctors.
    Old age is hell but the BOGO or
    BOO-KOO Agent Orange is a son of a #####.

3. rooter

This is my posting this morning...Chief

Soft Tissue Sarcoma

IP: 72.222.137.3
    Posted on March 23, 2016 at 10:33:46 AM by JOHN WILBORN

So very unusual...in fact I called my wife to read these posted articles and she too, a former nurse, seemed alarmed.. Only Monday I had this growing in size lump removed surgically from my right forearm...Firstly the Derm-Doc called it a Fat-Ball, a very common medical development in seniors. He noted the scar and I reminded him of my injury about 2 years ago that required 10 stitches...another doctor had treated that injury..he and the nurse removed the growth and then called it a CYST instead of a 'fat-ball'...it was going to be bio-opsied
    ...I go back on the 28th to have the stitches removed and I am going to show these postings...Hey Guys, I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems..I recall so often seeing those burned looking trees and brush there along the river...and the different areas I'd go out on patrol with security.. JW

4. Tom T

Tom T Well-Known Member

Wish there was a way to forget but not so I live with it.

Skip U likes this.
  5. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are a lot of symptoms of AO. Birth defects, diabetes, cancer, tumors at any location in the body, as well as neuropathy. Not all vets that have AO were in Nam. My brother has AO, he was an airplane mech. stationed in Tia land. The VA has tested him, and he does have AO, but can not draw a dime because he was never in Nam.

6. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are vets that served in areas other than RVN that covered by the VA for AO exposure. Check the link to get started and there are veteran groups that can help with information about the filing process
    .http://www.publichealth.va.gov/PUBLICHEALTH/exposures/agentorange/locations/index.asp

carver likes this.
  7. carver

jedwil likes this.
  8. Tom T

Tom T Well-Known Member

Good luck to your brother.

carver and jedwil like this.
  9. carver

Thanks!

10. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

I'm a Vietnam Vet; Service Connected, PHs, ears, PTSD and AO positive. I've had precancerous polyps removed from my intestines..
    I was an 11B Airborne light infantry.

Vietnam, the "gift" that keeps on giving.

11. jedwil

joe45c likes this.
  12. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

The VA is still in denial about AO. Pardon my French, but the whole situation flat $ucks.

My nurse at the Spartanburg, SC VA satellite said AO goes after the heart. Which isn't on any "official" list. IMO, it is all about avoiding doing the right thing.

joe45c likes this.
  13. jedwil

Ischemic heart disease is a presumptive disease.

14. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/conditions/index.asp

Is that what the VA is saying here?

After the Army, I was an automotive design engineer. To be honest, I don't know squat about the medical sector except for what doctors tell me.