The Firearms Forum banner

AK-47 steel mags won't work

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ka64 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Century Arms Zastava Pap M70 7.62x39 AK-47 and the 2 mags that I got with the gun would not work. They will go into the mag well and lock into place but after I fire the 1st round it would jam. I tried it about 10 different times with both mags full, with 20 rounds, with 10 rounds, and with 2 rounds with the same end result. Finally after just about giving up on shooting it a man came over to my booth with his AK and asked if I needed any help. I told him what was going on and he offered to try the mags in his rifle, so he did and they worked flawlessly. Then I asked him if I could try his mag and he agreed, filled it up and tried it out with no jams. Then I filled it again and tried it with no jams. I asked if he would trade me both of my mags for his mag and he did. I shot 200 more rounds this afternoon with no jams. The mag he traded me has no markings on it to identify a manufacture so I was wondering if anyone would know why a mag would fit and lock but jam after the 1st round? I would like to get a few more spare mags but don't want to get ones that will not work.

#4 ·
his gun may have a strong enough spring to shove em out ( his recoil/butt spring may be stronger than yours)

now your rifle shot ok with his mag's

so suggest 1 over fill a mag if you can and leave it a few days then try again see how it goes ( should not close when you manually action it before , so you can compare after )

2 get a couple used mags and try the spring from it

3 soup up your return spring

#5 ·
Well I tried #1 by accident before trading off the mags, 2 days ago when I bought the gun I filled the mags with 30 rounds each and tried to fit a 31st with no luck on both of them and I left them full. I found out today not to fill the mags and let them sit because you will weaken the spring in them. I am going to try and find a few used mags locally and see what I come up with. Also how much would you say a stiffer return spring would set me back?

#6 ·
Keeping magazines loaded will not weaken the spring. Spring steel fatigues through useage, not being kept loaded.

Stay away from the Korean magazines, they are well known for problems. I generally buy European steel mags for my Saiga and have had no problems at all with them. While not a big fan of the polymer ones, the Tapco ones seem to work well, I have a couple of ten round ones to use while hunting that have given me zero problems as well.

#7 ·
Well I tried #1 by accident before trading off the mags, 2 days ago when I bought the gun I filled the mags with 30 rounds each and tried to fit a 31st with no luck on both of them and I left them full. I found out today not to fill the mags and let them sit because you will weaken the spring in them. I am going to try and find a few used mags locally and see what I come up with. Also how much would you say a stiffer return spring would set me back?
An AR maybe but not an AK, I have dozens of various rounds capacity from 10 - 40 round AK Mags fully loaded & ready to go and never had a problem.

Buy steel and stay away from the polymer ones.

try these places.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...n+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+40rd+Magazine&groupid=15

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.