AK47's...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/26/03 4:01:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All AK47's...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    where are the best ones made? i saw Romanian ones on sale for $230, is that good?

EvilAudio
    (1/27/03 12:35:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AK47's...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From what I understand an AK is an AK. They are all good but there are different grades of good. The Russian AK's and AKM's are supposedly the best.
    The Romanian SAR and Egyptian Maddi MISR are supposedly the bottom of the heap, yet are still reliable. They merely have cosmetic flaws and lack a chromoly lined bore. I might also add that some are to have poorly machined bolts as if the machinery used was dull of maladjusted. (like it matters in the loose fitting Kalashnikov) I also hear that these variants do not like to be heated up. Nothing as extreme as a "cook off", but never shooting the same after five mags fired in a row is a story I keep hearing in 7.62 versions. Poor quality steel used for barrels?
    I have heard many people praise the Norinco MAK-90's. I have also heard people say that it is the worst of the Kalashnikov variants, i.e., jams and such. All the ones I have seen functioned well and had chromoly bores/excellent stampings. The main drawback I have seen in the Norincos is the stock/grip. I have a small hand, and I despise their thumbhole grip. The hole is too small and bored too low in the stock, leaving me with a nice blister on the top of my second knuckle of the thumb after a day of shooting.

My choice for the "cheap" AK would be a Maadi MISR. You might try some vendors in the Shotgun News. I have seen Maadi's for under $300. You might even try a 5.45mm version of the Romanian SAR. The mags are dirt cheap for 30 rounders. I saw a dealer asking $7 for one or $12 for a pair at the last gun show. There are even some old-stock East German ones that are black amd are supposedly superior to the brown bakelite ones. The 5.45mm ammo isn't that much more expensive than 7.62x39 either. Good luck and maybe someone else can tell you in more detail about the quality of the SAR.
    "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." George Brett

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 5:34:43 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: AK47's...
    Be careful on the Romanian AK's for $230. Probably will not accept high-cap magazines.

EvilAudio
    (1/27/03 7:32:23 pm)
    I.ve seen some like that. They have lil single stack 10 rounders. Lame.
    "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." George Brett

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 9:02:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    I like my SAR2 (5.45x39) AK-74. I also like my Hungarian (SA2000) AK-47. The SAR2 will take high capacity mags and they were relatively cheap. Got 8 total for under $40 with 2 cleaning kits, 2 mag pouches, stripper clips, and a bunch of other stuff. Well worth it. Picked up 500 rounds for $45 (a little pricey but it was all I could afford).

My SA2000 is not a high capacity AK-47 but I like it just the same. Doesn't take the slim 10 round mags but a stockier short 10 round mag. And to be honest - I haven't noticed a need for 30 round mags in my AK-47. Then again I tend to aim and shoot unlike a few idiots I've seen at the range who think spraying the whole area with bullets is what one should do (they don't last long as a general rule).

If you want a high capacity AK-47 for a reasonable price definitely check out the Romanian ones. They can be had as cheap as $280 or thereabouts if you look.

EvilAudio
    (1/27/03 10:30:40 pm)
    500 rounds for $45 is a helluva deal.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/27/03 10:36:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Well yes relatively speaking $45 for 500 rounds was cheap...but

1,000 rounds was only $80 - so it would of been cheaper if I'd of had enough money to just buy a whole case.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/28/03 7:50:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del ammo
    I just bought 1000 rounds of Wolf at the Concord gun show for $69.00 plus tax.It makes you scared to shoot it at that price. Benny

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/30/03 7:50:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ammo
    now the second thing is are all the AK's you talk of full auto? because there is no point to me ownin one if it isnt...

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/30/03 9:22:31 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: ammo
    Ballistic - of course they are NOT full auto. First those are prohibitive to buy and second quite a few of us have either no intention of buying the stamp that is required for one or second because our state would prohibit them.

You cannot import full autos for the public to buy anymore by federal law so the price on one is definitely up there. Not a single AK you see on the market from a company is anything but semi-auto.

EvilAudio
    (1/30/03 7:00:25 pm)

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/31/03 10:35:12 pm)
    All are not the same, quality or otherwise. AK`s came in various qualities.....and some of the best are not Russian, but since those don`t really exsist.....who`s to say, cept for classIII.

LTS

Ballistic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 12:24:16 pm)
    i have seen full autos for sale... they were more expensive, more like 700-1000... and yes i know i cant own them in cali, but once i get to a class 3 state i am going to get it...

EvilAudio
    (2/1/03 3:58:07 pm)
    once again........

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 8:29:38 pm)
    Let me know where 700-1000$$$ FA AK`S are and lets talk.

LTS

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/3/03 1:35:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del AK quality?
    Ballistic,
    I can't claim to be an authority on AK's, but I do know a little about them. I currently own two and have had three others. I've had good luck with the ChiCom MAK-90's. My least favorite was a Bulgarian that I no longer own, it was still 100% reliable, but didn't point or balance well and heated up real quick(unlike Lynn, I don't do too much aimin' when I'm shootin' my AK's*). You can start by checking out "AK NET" and "AK-47 Union Forum". Also "The AK Site" and "Romanian Kalashnikov Rifles" are also good sites to check out. Good luck, buddy!
    mo jenkins
    P.S.
    *To be perfectly honest, I don't think it matters much, even when I do aim, I still don't hit a whole lot.....

Dannytoro
    (2/3/03 3:00:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Wolf 154grain Softpoints....
    Has anyone tried these out yet; and has anyone tried hunting deer or any other game with them? I'd probadly buy a Saiga in 7.62 X 39 if this ammo is a viable round(ie 2 to 3 inchs at 100 yards with reliable function and decent terminal performance.....)

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/3/03 7:27:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 762x39 loads
    Dannytoro,
    If you don't get enough feedback here, I'm pretty sure that you'll find alot of feedback to that question over at "Survivor's SKS Boards"...... They get into some pretty "AK and SKS" specific stuff over there.....

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/4/03 7:54:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 762x39 loads
    Hello Dannytoro, and Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
    Check back soon and often I'm sure all your firearm questions can and will be answered.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/4/03 4:04:18 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 762x39 loads
    The 7.62x39 is often compared to the .30-30 Winchester ballistically. Providing proper bullet selection and placement, it should perform well to 150 yards or so on deer-sized game. Now, getting the run-of-the-mill AK to shoot those 2" 100yd groups is another issue. An SKS may be a better choice.

An even better bet is the 7.62x54R cartridge found in the Dragunov style semiautos and the Mosin-Nagant bolt actions. It compares well to the .308 Win and the rifles generally are capable of more accuracy than the typical AK.

mustang7513
    (2/4/03 10:18:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 762x39 loads
    7.62x39... $65.95 for a 1,000 rounds. At a gun show, not online so don't get your hopes up unless you are in the northern part of Oregon.

Things of quality have no fear of time.