All purpose rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Mr_Flintstone, Nov 25, 2019.

1. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

You've got it nailed for your neck of the woods. I'd tell you who I am related to over your way but then you would think bad of me.

2. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

336 is a fine choice. Might consider the Remington 760 in 30/06. A little more range than the 30/30 and ammo can be had anywhere.

vizslas 1, jsjj388, Fletch.N and 2 others like this.

3. BigBlue

BigBlue Active Member

I do love my leverguns, but for your criteria I would choose the Ruger Scout rifle in .308. It has great iron sights and is easily scoped in either the scout configuration or the standard with supplied Ruger rings.

[​IMG]

4. Bigbubbajb

Bigbubbajb Member

My first all around rifle was a 336 in 30-30. You can't go wrong there.

tedwitt likes this.
  5. Bronco 2

Bronco 2 New Member

Or the Ruger International model in 308.

tedwitt likes this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Well, as is normal, my twisted mind takes off on a different tangent. I'll forever remain convinced that the absolute best all around firearm is a drilling and preferably with a 22LR einstecklauf in one of the shotgun barrels. When we were on the farm an Immanuel Meffert drilling in 16 X 16 over 7 X 57R was what I carried on the tractor or when walking the fences. It did not have an einstecklauf but it worked pretty darn good. These days it's still a drilling but a Thieme & Schlegelmilch in 16 X 16 over 9.3 X 75R and it does have a 22LR einstecklauf. With it I am prepared for anything, from bear to squirrel to quail or grouse. We don't have grouse but a lot of places do. The only part of your criteria it does not meet is cost. However, you won't lose any money on even a decent drilling. They come in a lot of cartridges that are available over the counter and if you reload, that doesn't matter. Looks like this from the breech end.

P1010002 (5).JPG

P1010005 (4).JPG
    The entire firearm looks like this. It is the top drilling. The bottom drilling was my Meffert in 16 X 16 over 7 X 57R. I have since traded it.

P1010007 (6).JPG

Suicide*Ride, ms6852, tedwitt and 8 others like this.
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

How about a Baikal MP 94. It is a combination gun.. 12g over 30-06 for instance ( other chamberings. ). This gives you maximum flexibility.. 30-06 takes most north americal critters.. even elk and moose if you do your job correctly.. sure I might take a 300 magnum if I ONLY hunted moose.. but for a double duty gun? It gives you a shotgun barrel that you can keep a slug in for bear or hog, buckshot for hog.. or shot for birds and small game.. and that 30-06 for anything hog and up.. under 500$ break action.. hard to get simpler..

8. Maritime Bob

Maritime Bob Well-Known Member

I've been hunting deer (and bear) for a long time (65 years) in the woods of Pennsylvania near the Poconos, coal regions, and southeastern NY. 35 Remington has been and probably still is a very common and popular gun in those parts. So was the 30-30 lever-action. The .35 is probably a better brush buster and packs a bit more punch, but both sound like a good fit for what was asked. The ammunition is readily available in several bullet weights, and it's likely that you can buy either one used and in good shape, pretty cheap. I favor the Remington for its brush busting ability, but both will do the job easily out to 150 yards. A good scope on either gun is a good idea but the iron-sights have worked quite well for hunters for over a century.

tedwitt and TreeDave like this.
  9. north tex

north tex Well-Known Member

My first reaction was a Savage 99 in either 243, 303, or 308. 308 would be my preference.

10. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

I mean a 30-30 would work well. With the exception of a bear (could be done,ethics would be questionable) an AR-15 in one of the many available calibers would fit the bill perfect. Maybe a .300 BO would do the the trick.

tedwitt likes this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I would have to agree - that IS an all purpose rifle!!

tedwitt likes this.
  12. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

get a 30/30 marlin if they still make them. you will never look back.

tedwitt likes this.
  13. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

That would be my choice, too, just because I don't like lever-action rifles.

Also, keep in mind that the Scout rifle was conceptualized by Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper, which should give it props.

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 Well-Known Member

Meets all your criteria, and for a truck gun, you need a removable magazine.
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/415003516

15. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.