All purpose rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Mr_Flintstone, Nov 25, 2019.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Marlin 336. Good all around rifle. I also like the Ruger Scout rifle in 308. Now I want one.

BigBlue, shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  2. Mr_Flintstone

Mr_Flintstone Active Member

OK guys, 336w it is. Local Walmart has them for sale at $397. Good price, good gun. Sorry it’s Walmart, but if they want to sell me a good gun at a cheap price, that’s on them.

shootbrownelk, Bigdog57 and tedwitt like this.

3. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know much about ballistics or how much more or less you get with a pistol cartridge in a long gun, but since my EDC is a Sig P365, I decided a 9mm cartridge in a Ruger takedown carbine should be a good companion rifle. Also, it will accept Ruger or Glock mag's up to 100 rounds with the interchangeable inserts that come with the carbine. It has iron sights & rails for scopes or lights. There are some great 9mm loads available these days & 9mm is readily available everywhere it's legal to sell bullets.

shootbrownelk and tedwitt like this.
  4. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

if you like pistol cartridges in a long gun.. Try a 357 magnum... Fantastic..

vizslas 1 and tedwitt like this.
  5. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Which 357 rifle?

shootbrownelk likes this.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I'd like to say uberti/cimaaron 1873, but after experiencing their ( lack of ) customer service, ill default to a Rossi...

45nut and shootbrownelk like this.
  7. REM1875

REM1875 Well-Known Member

TEXAS - near Buffalo Springs -Clay County
    I love my 336 in 32 Win Spl and 35 Rem BUT they are difficult to load and unless ya plan on leaving it loaded you might want to think of something with a magazine. Remington 788,
    Savage 340, Stevens 325 are all 30-30 that take magazines and are relatively inexpensive.

8. REM1875

REM1875 Well-Known Member

TEXAS - near Buffalo Springs -Clay County
    Almost every modern lever action rifle maker has made a 357 at one time or another ....most still do ...... There have even been a pump action or two for 357 and the Ruger 77 Bolt Action Rifle in .357 Magnum is back out again.
    Levers are hard to load and usually pumps are too but the Bolt actions often take a magazine and the Ruger takes a rotary magazine ..........

9. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Tippman armory makes a nice rolling block in 357 44 45-70 pick one or all.

10. Rubone

Rubone Well-Known Member

Something I might not have considered a few years ago but after my wife gave me one I have to say I love my Ruger American Ranch in 7.62X39, a cartridge that matches the 30-30 very closely, is cheap to shoot is very accurate, short and easy to handle, a perfect all around rifle. And with the ability to use Mini 30 magazines you can easily have up to 20 rds. I have a 336 in .35 Remington and it is great, but the Ruger feels better as a truck gun! Ruger American Ranch 7.62.jpg

BigBlue, shootbrownelk and Gun Geezer like this.
  11. Gun Geezer

I agree, the .357 is a good round but, S&W used to make an 8 shot revolver that was made of Scandium, their proprietary aluminum-like metal alloy that was prone to cracking & was not much fun to shoot with its 1-1/2" barrel. I'm not sure if they make it any more. I have a Taurus stainless 7-shot .357 that actually rusts. It's my boat gun usually loaded with snake shot. The only good thing is that it was cheap & if I drop it overboard, I haven't lost much. My 9mm Sig P-365 can hold a 15 round mag & my Glock 26 about the same. Both are fun shooters & easy to pocket carry. There are a lot of advantages to a single caliber EDC with a matching Carbine. Oh, BTW, the .357 Sig that Glock makes has not been a popular caliber & as far as I know does not chamber in any long guns, but I could be wrong about that.

12. Gun Geezer

I think it's FNH that makes a pistol that chambers the 7.62X39 cartridge. It's a little large for CC & I've been told it is a handful to shoot but its a readily accessible cartridge & would make a good single caliber combo.

13. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

My apologies to all but, I cannot see how any rifle, no matter the cartridge or the action, can be remotely close to being considered an "all around gun". First of all it isn't a gun, it's a rifle. The 30-30 or any of the other cartridges mentioned is going to destroy small game and unless you're Ad Topperwein or Phoebe Ann Moses, wing shooting with a rifle is for all intents and purposes an impossibility....and unsafe.

Any firearm to be considered all around almost has to have a shotgun barrel. While I prefer a 22LR for small game, a shotgun is more than serviceable. Other than opting for a drilling or a vierling, the most economical combination gun is the old Savage over/under. I'm not much of a fan of that particular combination gun but it's more "all around" than any single rifle mentioned.

I like lever rifles and if I were allowed only one rifle the Scout concept has a lot to offer, in my opinion. However, for an all around "gun", give me a drilling every time and if I don't want to pay for one, the Savage would be next in line.

soundguy, orion340, vizslas 1 and 2 others like this.
  14. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

All around gun? Tough question. For me it'd probably be an AR platform with multiple uppers. If the question was for an all around HUNTING rifle, the 30.06 or .375 H&H for me.

15. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

If you're getting a rifle, get it chambered in a rifle cartridge, not a pistol cartridge. (just my 2 cents)

(disclaimer) I once had a Ruger Camp .45. I think its biggest asset was that it used Colt single-stack magazines.