The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
It's been my opinion for some time now that a lever 30 30 is the ideal all around rifle. This is primarily because I'm not in to ARs or other military style rifles. Just personal preference. The 30 30 will serve as a good defense round and will kill deer sized game out to 100 yards without any trouble at all. I have 2 model 94s that are both adequately accurate to hunt with and i am particular about my hunting accuracy. They have Lots of firepower and are easy to tote around. The 30 30 is also very easy to reload and is easy on the shoulder. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Humm, We know that 22 is a caliber not a cartridge and that HP = Hollow Point so what could this possibaly mean? Has BRNO developed something totally new for 2020

TYPO! :confused:
Must be the 5.7x52R, AKA 22 Savage High Power.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
gr, is it real engraving or well done acid etching or laser engraving? For $350 surely it is one of the latter.

$350.00 would barely get your initials engraved by a real engraver.
Surely no ones expects hand engraving on such an inexpensive firearm!!

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Humm, We know that 22 is a caliber not a cartridge and that HP = Hollow Point so what could this possibaly mean? Has BRNO developed something totally new for 2020

TYPO! :confused:
I chased it down: Savage 22 High Power....... made from Winchester .25-35 necked down to .227/228. Newton made them in 1912. No wonder I didn't know about it - even I am not that old.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Surely no ones expects hand engraving on such an inexpensive firearm!!
I may not be payng much for this rifle/shotgun , but there was an over priced one on a auction site that can't be named at the outrages price of $1,200.

Note, I also have a choice of 6.5X55/12ga and 7X57/12ga
Since I don't have a 22 Savage High Power , I think that is the one I will get.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I may not be payng much for this rifle/shotgun , but there was an over priced one on a auction site that can't be named at the outrages price of $1,200.
Can it be had in 12 gauge 223?

·
Premium Member
20,118 Posts
While most of us can't get a drilling due to price or avablity , there is a second choise that seems to be over looked.
As soon as the new BS Canadian laws become clear I will be getting one of these from Sweden. It is a BRNO 12ga/22HP. The cost will be $350 delivered to my front door. Note. it takes Weaver rings and you can't see it but it is nicely engraved.

View attachment 217914
I like that. Never saw it before. Is it available in the USA?

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
I can tell from the closer picture gr posted that it's laser engraved most likely, it isn't hand engraving. It looks too good to be acid etched.

If your as old as the 22 Savage HiPower….your old....like 108. gr, I knew what it was right off...:D

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I can tell from the closer picture gr posted that it's laser engraved most likely, it isn't hand engraving. It looks too good to be acid etched.

If your as old as the 22 Savage HiPower….your old....like 108. gr, I knew what it was right off...:D
I'm not that old yet, but I may be a year or two older than you.:lol:

I believe the rifle/shotgun is probably 1960s ? vintage because it is for the 2 3/4 inch shot shells.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
60's? Then I don't believe it's laser engraved or acid etched.

You might be older than me, I don't know if we ever compared ages...have we?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
No we haven't and I don't entend to.:D

I also have a few other choices.
They are all the same price give or take some pocket change.

Antonio Zoli Combination Gun in 12GA over 222 Rem

CZ584-03 Mod 3 Combination Gun in 12GA over 5.6x52R

Sabatti Combination Gun in 12GA over 7x57R

Heym Combination Gun in 16GA over 7x57R

Tikka M77K Combination Gun in 12GA over 5.6x52R

Varini Combination Gun in 12GA over 5.6x52R (22 HP)

Choices, choices. I don't know which one to get.
Any input would be fine.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
Heym by a landslide. It's a matter of taste but I don't like 12's in a combination gun. The Heym will be a 16 built on a 16 bore receiver and handle a lot sweeter than any of the 12's....and none of those names up there will compare to a Heym in quality of craftsmanship.

2nd would be the CZ. After that, toss a coin or let the rifle cartridge make your choice for you.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Note, I also have a choice of 6.5X55/12ga and 7X57/12ga
Since I don't have a 22 Savage High Power , I think that is the one I will get.
Found one in 12 gauge/ 308, the guy was asking almost 2 grand:eek:

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
wyatt earp made a lot of money hunting buffalo for the hides. he did not use a buffalo sharps rifle. he used a double barrel 12 gauge and took the shot out of the cartridges and put a soft lead bore size round ball in each cartridge. it did the job. today a shot gun with slugs will do the same on anything out their. if it is a rifled shot gun bore it will also be very accurate very far out their. their are brass 12 gauge shells one can load and do it them selves.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
The only ones who made a lot of money out of the buffalo hide business was the rail roads and the traders. None of the "runners", as they called themselves, made a lot of money. Not even Frank Mayer who was probably the best, most efficient and most successful. There's plenty of documentation to prove that.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
some made alot of money, they were the pros who knew what they were doing. the bone collectors made the most money. kept many farmer going for years.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts