All purpose rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Mr_Flintstone, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I don't think handgun cartridge's fit anywhere at in the all around cataglory with rifle cartridge's. Get to rifle cartridges and there's a truckload that can make the grade. I doubt any fit the best award but from say a 6.5 on up there are sure a lot that would work. To describe all around I'd say the rifle is everything. For me though that would rule out everything on a case longer than the 308! Probably the closest I've ever come to seeing the perfect one was my old Rem 660 in 308 with a 20" barrel and it had a 3/4x Redfield on it. But I also think the 260Rem, 6.5 CM, 7mm-08 would also work very well, as well as the 308. About all I ever used in that old 660 was 165gr Hornady Spire Point's. In a pinch, that is what I'd think all around suggest's and I'd use that on anything in North America and in the Rem 660 it is a handy rifle easily fitting on the tractor or in the PU.

Went bear hunting one spring with a friend in Montana and took that old 660 with 165gr Hornady's. On the way in we saw some grouse and that old gun snipped their heads right off, very accurate rifle, and we had them for dinner. No I suspect the same could have been done with any number of cartridge's but for myself the shorter rifle's with 20" barrel's are extreamely handy and easy to store away.

Now it would be quite easy for someone else to claim their 50 BAR would be it. Well whatever trips your trigger! I suspect the 50 BAR could have also taken off the heads of those grouse!

tedwitt likes this.
  2. lcn

lcn Well-Known Member

A 30-30 leaver gun is a great choice.

tedwitt likes this.

3. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 660 carbine in .243 Winchester. I agree, it's sure a handy little rifle. Mine has a 20" barrel. I almost bought a Remington 600, but it was chambered for .350 Remington magnum with an 18" barrel....OUCH! It not only hurt, it was also a flamethrower.

tedwitt, Aspeck and Bigdog57 like this.
  4. myrt

myrt Member

Been living in the deep woods for a while. If you can't spend the day fly fishing naked in your yard without anybody seeing you, then you don't live far enough in the woods kind of thing. Have no worries as long as my ruger 44 carbine is with me because the large cats are always around.

Limbo Jimbo, tedwitt and Suicide*Ride like this.
  5. AStahl

AStahl Member

I would say track down a sporter military rifle rechambered in 257 Roberts or 25-06. You see them at gun shows and on internet sales every now and pretty cheap. Can be handloaded to take varmints, deer, and I would feel comfortable taking on black bear.

Limbo Jimbo and tedwitt like this.
  6. armoredman

armoredman Well-Known Member

Zombie thread resurrected...but still a good concept. I read the list of requirements and the first thought I had was my CZ BREN 2 MS pistol in 7.62x39mm with a Shockwave brace...but low cost knocks that out. But, as we discovered over 100 years ago in the Old West, there isn't much you can't do with a good 30-30! If it was all I had, I wouldn't feel under armed in almost any situation out here.

Limbo Jimbo, Clipped-in and tedwitt like this.
  7. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I can stand naked in my yard and cast my fly rod without being seen. Were I to be seen by anyone they might question my sanity but, not because I was naked. It's nigh impossible to catch a fish on top of the ridge....:D 'Course, if this rain keeps up that might change. I think we only need 31 or 32 more days....and I haven't been told to build an ark....which is a little concerning...

As to the topic at hand, I'll stay with my drillng(s).

Aspeck, One Shot, howlnmad and 2 others like this.
  8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I have to admit that so far I think that sharps4590 has the best idea as far as a"cheap all around gun" But how many can afford one.
    The 30-30 sounds great untill you look at the construction of most lever action rifles and they are not the best at taking abuse and they are no longer a "cheap" rifle.
    Pump action rifle ? Good rifle exept terrible camming power if you ever have a stuck cartridge case. How about a bolt action? Dose everything exept slow on getting off a second shot. But on the good side,very affordable.
    When going down the list of affordable rifles there isn't a whole lot left.
    So how about the lowly SKS. It is cheap and affordable. It is comparable (7.62X39) to the old 30-30. A very low matinance rifle and if you ever learn how to bottom feed this rifle you will wonder why people modify these rifles for a removable magazine.

Let the flaming begin.:D:D:D

9. sharps4590

well thanks gr! If a fella buys two, three or four rifles over say a 5 year period, unless he bought really cheap stuff, he spent enough to buy a good drilling. If he watches, is a shopper and has above average handloading skills a good drilling can be had for around $1500 and sometimes less. I think the thing is most folks simply don't want a drilling. Many would perhaps own one if it could be had for $500-$750 but the truth of that is, they don't exist at that price. Though many can probably see the utility of a drilling they don't have an affection for them and that's perfectly understandable. They are foreign, many are chambered in rifle cartridges most haven't heard of and are not available as store bought ammo at any price, though 7 X 57 and 8 X 57 are exceedingly common. Unless one picks up a drilling that comes with a scope and rings, you aren't going to run to your local gun shop and buy the rings or order them on line. You'll have to ship the gun to a shop that makes the rings and spend about $750 for them. I haven't even done that....yet. That and, truth be told, most folks today don't really know how to use open sights effectively. Perhaps not on this site but we have to admit, TFF is not a microcosm of the general shooting/hunting population.

Most folks today are basically ignorant of the effectiveness of the 16 bore, which most drillings are chambered for and, while the ammo is readily available over the counter and especially on line, it is expensive compared to 12 and 20 bore so it too is sort of a handloading proposition.

I don't believe a drilling is the ideal SHTF firearm but that wasn't the question. I took the question to mean what would you have if you could only have one firearm...presumably to hunt with. In that application my opinion is the drilling or vierling are unsurpassed. Add an einstecklauf for the 22LR to the drilling, as I did, and you have a shotgun for birds and small game, turkeys and ducks and geese, if you hunt them. A centerfire rifle cartridge suitable for game up to the largest ungulates in North America and the lowly but ever effective 22LR also for small game and vermin...and killin' hogs if you butcher your own. The vierling...they truly are cost prohibitive. A good one can't be had for less than 10K....if you can find one for that. Most I've seen are 18K and up.

So much for the drilling. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that, if, God forbid such a choice had to be made, whatever a fella would choose he has complete confidence in the firearm and his ability to use it.

There, I've held forth much longer than necessary but, it's raining..AGAIN, no church here, yet and the call for breakfast was just made....:D

Edit: Our church isn't shut down due to governmental order. The staff and leadership just hasn't opened it yet. That and with my wife's and my compromised immune systems, we aren't ready to venture into that kind of environment just yet.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    joe45c and howlnmad like this.
  10. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

if i was to have only one rifle and i didnt have to deal with grizzly bears it would be the henry single shot 30/30. if all i shot was deer and antelope on the open range it would be a 6.5 creedmoore. if i lived up north and bears and moose was in the menu it would be a henry single shot 45/70. if i could find a single shot 50/70 that would be my all around gun for anything. 1/28 twist and a 500 grain bullet with about 60 to 70 grains of real black or modern powder to do the same. that would be the all around gun but it would have to be built as no over the counter 50/70/s that i know of.

11. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Might be a little heavy for squirrel hunting don't you think.

12. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

A 12ga shotgun with the proper ammunition & shot placement can take a bear out to 150 yds & can take squirrels. They have folding stocks to make then more compact & can be used for home defense.

jwdurf, gvw3, ral357 and 1 other person like this.
  13. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

While most of us can't get a drilling due to price or avablity , there is a second choise that seems to be over looked.
    As soon as the new BS Canadian laws become clear I will be getting one of these from Sweden. It is a BRNO 12ga/22HP. The cost will be $350 delivered to my front door. Note. it takes Weaver rings and you can't see it but it is nicely engraved.

Opera Snapshot_2020-05-17_085723_www.tradeexcanada.com.png

Aspeck, gvw3, ral357 and 4 others like this.
  14. sharps4590

gr, is it real engraving or well done acid etching or laser engraving? For $350 surely it is one of the latter.

$350.00 would barely get your initials engraved by a real engraver.

joe45c and grcsat like this.
  15. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

Opera Snapshot_2020-05-17_094702_www.google.com.png
    I'm not sure.:)
    I'll see if I can upload a pic of the engraving.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    One Shot likes this.