I'd recommend "The Buffalo Harvest" by Frank Mayer. No one was as much of a pro as Col. Mayer. And yes, you're correct. Some bone pickers made more than any of the runners.
If I go that route bullets up here are easy to get along with loaded ammo.gr, can you use .224 bullets in you 22HP? Looks like .227 /.228 bullets are pretty hard to come by.
80's-90's Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.I’ve been thinking about what gun would best fit my needs as an all purpose rifle. Now, I realize that my needs are not the same as some other people’s, so here’s my criteria:
1) needs to be light enough to carry around the farm and into the woods.
2) needs to be powerful enough to kill varmints, coyote, deer, and if necessary black bear at a maximum of 100-150 yards.
3) needs to have iron sights with the ability to add glass if necessary.
4) needs to fit easily into a truck or on a 4-wheeler.
5) needs to be fairly inexpensive yet durable.
6) needs to have a simple action.
7) could be used for home defense.
Several guns made the cut for top ten, but only one gun fit every category. I decided the Marlin model 336w in 30-30 fits my needs perfectly. Before I buy, what do you guys think of the 30-30 in a lever action as an all purpose gun? Some of you may have ideas that I may not have considered.