The Firearms Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
I'd recommend "The Buffalo Harvest" by Frank Mayer. No one was as much of a pro as Col. Mayer. And yes, you're correct. Some bone pickers made more than any of the runners.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The main effect of the buffalo hunters was to destroy a way of life for the hold outs trying to live the old way. Ultimately the Indians were not defeated in battle as much as they lost their ability to feed their families. One of the most shameful chapter in our history.

·
Premium Member
14,068 Posts
When an industrial revolution culture clashes with a stone age culture, the outcome, regardless of the morality, is inevitable. I'm not defending the outcome, merely stating the obvious.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
gr, can you use .224 bullets in you 22HP? Looks like .227 /.228 bullets are pretty hard to come by.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
gr, can you use .224 bullets in you 22HP? Looks like .227 /.228 bullets are pretty hard to come by.
If I go that route bullets up here are easy to get along with loaded ammo.
Hornady still makes .227 bullets.

As you all know I don't like shotguns much. They were just never my thing but with the new laws coming into effect I guess to be on the safe side I should look at buyng something that would be hard to ban yet be usefull to me.

I just added to my long list a few under/over rifles chambered in 25-35. As time goes by I will ask for some help .

·
Registered
344 Posts
I’ve been thinking about what gun would best fit my needs as an all purpose rifle. Now, I realize that my needs are not the same as some other people’s, so here’s my criteria:
1) needs to be light enough to carry around the farm and into the woods.
2) needs to be powerful enough to kill varmints, coyote, deer, and if necessary black bear at a maximum of 100-150 yards.
3) needs to have iron sights with the ability to add glass if necessary.
4) needs to fit easily into a truck or on a 4-wheeler.
5) needs to be fairly inexpensive yet durable.
6) needs to have a simple action.
7) could be used for home defense.

Several guns made the cut for top ten, but only one gun fit every category. I decided the Marlin model 336w in 30-30 fits my needs perfectly. Before I buy, what do you guys think of the 30-30 in a lever action as an all purpose gun? Some of you may have ideas that I may not have considered.
80's-90's Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.
Fits every one of your criteria to a "T", however, your choice of a 336 in .30-30 is perfect as well.

DCman

81 - 86 of 86 Posts