All purpose rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Mr_Flintstone, Nov 25, 2019.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Heym by a landslide. It's a matter of taste but I don't like 12's in a combination gun. The Heym will be a 16 built on a 16 bore receiver and handle a lot sweeter than any of the 12's....and none of those names up there will compare to a Heym in quality of craftsmanship.

2nd would be the CZ. After that, toss a coin or let the rifle cartridge make your choice for you.

joe45c likes this.
  2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Found one in 12 gauge/ 308, the guy was asking almost 2 grand:eek:

3. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

wyatt earp made a lot of money hunting buffalo for the hides. he did not use a buffalo sharps rifle. he used a double barrel 12 gauge and took the shot out of the cartridges and put a soft lead bore size round ball in each cartridge. it did the job. today a shot gun with slugs will do the same on anything out their. if it is a rifled shot gun bore it will also be very accurate very far out their. their are brass 12 gauge shells one can load and do it them selves.

4. sharps4590

The only ones who made a lot of money out of the buffalo hide business was the rail roads and the traders. None of the "runners", as they called themselves, made a lot of money. Not even Frank Mayer who was probably the best, most efficient and most successful. There's plenty of documentation to prove that.

joe45c likes this.
  5. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

some made alot of money, they were the pros who knew what they were doing. the bone collectors made the most money. kept many farmer going for years.

6. sharps4590

I'd recommend "The Buffalo Harvest" by Frank Mayer. No one was as much of a pro as Col. Mayer. And yes, you're correct. Some bone pickers made more than any of the runners.

7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

The main effect of the buffalo hunters was to destroy a way of life for the hold outs trying to live the old way. Ultimately the Indians were not defeated in battle as much as they lost their ability to feed their families. One of the most shameful chapter in our history.

8. sharps4590

When an industrial revolution culture clashes with a stone age culture, the outcome, regardless of the morality, is inevitable. I'm not defending the outcome, merely stating the obvious.

9. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

gr, can you use .224 bullets in you 22HP? Looks like .227 /.228 bullets are pretty hard to come by.

sharps4590 likes this.
  10. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

If I go that route bullets up here are easy to get along with loaded ammo.
    Hornady still makes .227 bullets.

As you all know I don't like shotguns much. They were just never my thing but with the new laws coming into effect I guess to be on the safe side I should look at buyng something that would be hard to ban yet be usefull to me.

I just added to my long list a few under/over rifles chambered in 25-35. As time goes by I will ask for some help .

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    pdkfishing and sharps4590 like this.
  11. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

80's-90's Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08.
    Fits every one of your criteria to a "T", however, your choice of a 336 in .30-30 is perfect as well.

DCman