The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I THINK this is where this should go.
Yesterday I had a good day and it was going to go down into the 20s last night so I decided to leave my .50 outside in the cold so I could test it this morning when it is cold.
This summer my grand son shot the .50 and got the scope eye cut (I told him when he got upset we ALL have gotten the scope eye cut at one time or another) so I figured I had better be ready to adjust the scope.
So I just went out at the break of light and shot a round.
Right on at 100 yards. I know I pulled a little high ( I knew I did it I always pull high and to the right ) but not to bad and would have dropped what I was shooting at.
Only took one shot because there is no sense to waste more rounds when the first hit as good as this.
So I am ready for Saturday for putting meat in the freezer.

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
Can't argue with that, Mike. Our opening day was a bust. Driving rain, windy all day, tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings about 8:00PM. However, the neighbor did bag a nice 8 point last night between systems, eastern count.

This morning, 20 mph winds gusting higher but clear and mid 40's. I took Joyce to her stand but I'm not going, yet. I have become such a miserable fair weather hunter and fisherman. I guess sooner or later everyone gets to the point they've just killed enough stuff. Maybe not everyone but I know many who have and I'm close.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sharps4590 I know what u mean by we have just killed enough stuff. There were 12 guys in our hunting group and hunted together for 20 some years. They started dying off and now I am the only left. I don't even look out on opening day anymore. I miss the comradeship of the old bunch but that is all.

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have hunted alone my whole life. And I am a meat hunter I really do not care if they have a rack or not just how big there body is. I have never found a recipe for rack that taste good.
If you can believe what the weather guessers say it is going to be a opening day with light winds and maybe a little snow on the ground. I went and checked my condo stand and there is buck rubs 5 yards from it and scrapes 10 and 20 yards away.
Could be from the twin 4 pointers but thats ok because there are some BIG does in that herd and who knows maybe the little boys will PO a big buck to come in to teach them a lesson.
I am starting to get wound up and ready.

·
Premium Member
17,872 Posts
Been out about 8 times so far up here. Only been seeing Does so far. Saw 1 this morning at about 8:00 my hunting partner saw 3 all does. We have seen 12 deer so far all Does! Mike i was going to be down to your area Next Sunday but changed the date till 30 Nov. I will have to get in touch with you for a eye in the sky weather report.

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been out about 8 times so far up here. Only been seeing Does so far. Saw 1 this morning at about 8:00 my hunting partner saw 3 all does. We have seen 12 deer so far all Does! Mike i was going to be down to your area Next Sunday but changed the date till 30 Nov. I will have to get in touch with you for a eye in the sky weather report.
Sure I can look outside to see what is going on for you. Telling you what the weather guessers say is only good for wiping your bottom. They are NEVER right around here.
I saw 10 deer in my field this morning. NO bucks just does a few of them big enough to go in the freezer.

·
Premium Member
17,872 Posts
Sure I can look outside to see what is going on for you. Telling you what the weather guessers say is only good for wiping your bottom. They are NEVER right around here.
I saw 10 deer in my field this morning. NO bucks just does a few of them big enough to go in the freezer.
Hope i see as many Does down there as i'm seeing up here. The ones up here can't be shot! I'll be coming down by myself this year. My buddy is worried about the Plague so he won't be going.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Right on at 100 yards. I know I pulled a little high ( I knew I did it I always pull high and to the right )
Close enough. 😊

I am a meat hunter I really do not care if they have a rack or not just how big there body is. I have never found a recipe for rack that taste good.
Me too. No problem with trophy hunters; just more interested in meat for the freezer.

·
TFF Chaplain
19,677 Posts
I'd say you are ready to go.

Hope you get one that fills your freezer. Will we get pictures?

Reactions: joe45c and goofy

·
Premium Member
9,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd say you are ready to go.

Hope you get one that fills your freezer. Will we get pictures?
I hope so. But I have 3 tags to fill in rifle season so if the powers to be are friendly to me I will get enough meat to fill mine and my neighbors freezer too.
And yes you will see a picture if (Or when) I get one or two or three. That is one good side to using the .50 they just drop and if it is cold out I can just leave them lay and continue to hunt intill I run out of tags. I do not even have to leave the stand. At lest intill I want to gut and drag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts