Aloha & Howdy, New from HI & TX

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum' started by Goatpatch, May 16, 2016.

1. Goatpatch

Goatpatch New Member

Hi all. From TX originally, been in HI nearly half my life (20yrs). Grew up in TX around firearms, grandfather was a skilled gunsmith, never got into em too much at the time other than learning firearms safety at a very early age, practicing and hunting with his rifles as well as my fathers and uncles, and I always owned and plinked around with airguns, and in my teens a .22 Marlin auto-loader that I bought from a neighbor for $40. Firearms were as common to us as rakes and shovels around the home and at our family's places in the hill country, just very respected, well stored and cared for rakes and shovels. I suppose for that reason (they were just always around, basic part of life) I never got into firearms (and firearms rights) more deeply on my own until the last few years (although I've always owned a few firearms myself for the past 20 years, and slowly add to my collection as I can afford it). I hunt in HI occasionally, used to hunt here quite a bit but health has slowed that down. All of that said, I am no FUDD, never have been. For the past few years now I'm very active on firearms rights compared to in my younger years when I kind of took it all in stride. I stay in touch with my local representatives, state and federal, on rights issues (they know my name well by now, probably on a few lists ;) ), and I'm a lifetime member of several firearms rights groups. So I'm not deeply, technically knowledgeable, or broadly/deeply knowledgeable about a-very many types of firearms, so always looking to humbly learn from those who have more experience and expertise. I have a number of modern firearms currently, but what brought me here this time (and got me to finally register) is that I'm getting interested in simple, practical modern flintlocks of late, as well as simple, practical modern black powder revolvers, for fun and for practical backup if/when times get hard and ammo is in short supply, as it can easily be in the islands, especially the smaller neighbor islands. Also black powder long guns nor handguns need be registered in Hawaii, and can be mailed direct of course, so big pluses there. Although I've looked around the site from time to time (quite a long time ago), I decided to go ahead and register this time. Thanks for the opportunity.

(Apologies if my use of tags in the way I did is obnoxious or not proper etiquette, I'm not quite sure how all that works on this site, and I don't do too much social media, what little I do I never use tags so it's a bit new to me).

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    4Anaconda and Broot like this.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Tennessee.

crystalphoto, dbcooper and Goatpatch like this.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum from Georgia.

crystalphoto and Goatpatch like this.
  4. Broot

Broot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome from Iowa...

crystalphoto, Goatpatch and dbcooper like this.
  5. 4Anaconda

4Anaconda Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum... We have close friends living in Hawai'i

crystalphoto, Goatpatch and dbcooper like this.
  6. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

7. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

A Texas Welcome to ya, form Deep in the Piney Woods of East Texas!

8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9. Goatpatch

Goatpatch New Member

Thank you. I like you signature. A very wise man (Asperger high level genius, in addition to wise) recently told me that those who make heavy use of analogy to explain a concept (among scientists, philosophers, academicians and the like) simply don't know how to tell you truthfully (operationally, functionally, testimonially [Truthfully]) what the concept or function/process is, a clear sign that they don't fully understand what they are talking about, or that they suppose you are too simple to understand it and so take a discount in the conveyance of useful information. Usually they simply don't know exactly what they are talking about. Same concept more elegantly expressed, and in a lot fewer damn words! ;)

Thank you Sir (or Ma'am), and thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you very much, glad to be here.

howlnmad and Broot like this.
  10. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome from Northern Ca.

grfc.png

howlnmad and Goatpatch like this.
  11. Goatpatch

Goatpatch New Member

Nice, and thanks for the welcome. What island are they on, if you don't mind me asking (pure curiosity)?

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If I might ask, what island do you live on? My daughter lives in Kehei, on the Island of Maui.

By the way mine is Sir, what about you?

Goatpatch likes this.
  13. Goatpatch

Goatpatch New Member

Thank you very much. I got my favorite rifle from a Colorado outfit, M+M/Colorado Gun Sales (If memory serves they are the same outfit, or were).

14. Goatpatch

Goatpatch New Member

Many thanks, as a kid I lived in the Piney Woods, or thereabouts, Tomball, Navasota, Magnolia, Dogwood Hills, Spring. We moved around a lot, my father was a foreman for Blume Tree Services and sometimes Asplund, trimming trees for the power companies, we moved all over Texas, kinda like bein an army brat; "arborist brat". Spent a lot of time running around in those woods with my half feral dog "Pooch" and Red Rider BB gun, dodging copperheads and water moccasins, catching sunfish/perch and bass in the ponds (I caught a little striped drum once in one of those sandy creaks way back in the woods, heck of a long way from the ocean!) and setting out salt-pork mini "trotlines" for the crawdads at creek culverts way out on those little country roads (aka: Feeding raccoons bacon). You just brought back some memories compadre. My dads people are all East Texas people.

Thanks for the welcome Sir, and thank you for your service to our country.

carver likes this.
  15. crystalphoto

crystalphoto Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome aboard, from SC!

Goatpatch likes this.