The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I had been lusting for a "Big Bore" Double Rifle. Finally one came into view and drooling, I decided I wasn't getting any younger so I plunked down a few hard earned several thousand dollars and I was In Heaven! I wasnow the owner of a cased side by side hammer gun made by Mayweather in Birmingham England. The engraving was all but photographic with detailed scrollwork. Incredible figured stocks with silver scroll inlays. Amazing but a huge gun in .577 Nitro Express! A box of Kynock (5 rounds) was a mere $300.00 Okay I won't be plinking with it.
I could not wait to get it out to the range to caress the triggers and have the "Big Game" experience! I knew it was going to give me a bump. I noticed that my baby only has a steel butt plate (no recoil pad) which worried me a bit. So I put my rifle together in front of an expanding group of curious onlookers. Broke the action open and took out one of the 5 inch long cartridges (only loaded the right barrel) and stepped up to the firing line. Then cocked the right hammer, smooth as silk and crisp as fresh lettuce,. Placed the stock to my shoulder, pulled it in TIGHT. leaned into it and squeezed the trigger!
My life flashed before my eyes! The RECOIL was a religious experience!! The muzzle blast was deafening to say the very least! Knocked the muffs and shooting glasses off my head! I did NOT knock me down but it did cause me to take several steps backwards. With my left hand I gingerly laid my rifle on the bench. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and I couldn't feel anything in my right arm my fingers were NUMB! WHAT had I done to myself? There was considerable laughter from the "peanut gallery" but not from this peanut! That really ** hurt! When I got home. my wife took me to the hospital for x-rays. Nothing was broken. The bruise was horrific from my right nipple to my elbow. Feeling returned to my fingers in a couple days.
I still have the "Beast" and show it proudly! A friend talked me into letting him prove his bravado and shoot it. I charged him $70 bucks for the shot AND made him signa disclaimer that I was NOT responsible for injury. IDIOT did not [pull the gun in tight and tried to resist the recoil! It DID sit him down and he was crying in pain I laughed my ass off! He has since had tendon restructure surgery.
If you get the chance to shoot one.... a word of caution!

·
11,806 Posts
They don't make men like they used to, huh.
lol

Did people actually hunt with them??

I pulled both barrels on a 10 gauge with 3 1/2 in magnums 00 buck one time. That hurt.

It must be worse than a 400 weatherby Magnum.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've hunted a lot of creatures and have never seen a T-Rex or anything that large that needs a rifle like that. The largest rifle I ever fired was a 338 Win Mag, I didn't like it or saw no need for it. I'll stick with my trusty

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've hunted a lot of creatures and have never seen a T-Rex or anything that large that needs a rifle like that. The largest rifle I ever fired was a 338 Win Mag, I didn't like it or saw no need for it. I'll stick with my trusty

View attachment 251120
I love my 30-06's but I m very fond of my big bore collection of Sharps, Remington Rolling Blocks, Hepburn and Martini-Henry singles. From .44-90, 45-70, 45-90, 45-110 , 45-125, 50-70, 50-90 and .50-110 Even a few odd ones like .577-450 Martini Henry or a .577 Snider. But the .577 Nitro is a real make me crap round.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
WOW! Did I get on the wrong side or what? I AM so sorry!
No no no.... It’s just something I say when referring to the total obliteration a large bore can cause. Pretty much takes out everything in front of it and a few things behind it.

Sorta like:
I shot the bad guy
In my neighbor’s house
He was hiding behind the fridge
Looks like my neighbor will need a new fridge and some drywall.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
They don't make men like they used to, huh.
lol

Did people actually hunt with them??

I pulled both barrels on a 10 gauge with 3 1/2 in magnums 00 buck one time. That hurt.

It must be worse than a 400 weatherby Magnum.
I believe you meant a 460 Weatherby.

I fired three rounds of 460 Weatherby in a Weatherby Mark 4, that was factory ported at the muzzle end. I fired all three rounds standing which was much more recoil then a 12 gauge 3-1/2” goose load, but that felt recoil was mostly because of the ridiculous amount of drop in heel of the Weatherby Mark 4 stock which causes the rifle to roll up and back. Without the barrel ported I mite had only fired one round. The man who owned that rifle was about 6’-5” and probably weighed 250 pounds. I traded him to fire three rounds of my T/C Contender hand cannon with a 14” 45/70 barrel with 405 grain bullets. We both agreed that the Contender was the worst to shoot.

·
Premium Member
14,572 Posts
You know the rule, pictures or it never happened.

The 577 NE was made for one reason and one reason only, as a stopper for elephant. It worked magnificently. It was largely used only by professional ivory hunters though Elemer Keith did have one and I believe took it on his one trip to Africa. Your mention of a lack of recoil pad on a rifle chambered for the 577 NE is.....moot at best. You'd never know the difference whether it had one or not. The lightest rifle I know for that cartridge is about 14 lbs. I'd shoot one at the drop of hat...once.

I have 3 double rifles and have had another in the past. The cartridges are 8 X 75R, 8 X 60R Express and 11.15 X 60R. The one I sold was a 500 BPE in an E.M. Reilly, London. The metric cartridge rifles are a Vierordt, a Merkel and a Goldmann.. I bought all mine to use. Two are S X S and the Merkel is an O/U.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No no no.... It’s just something I say when referring to the total obliteration a large bore can cause. Pretty much takes out everything in front of it and a few things behind it.

Sorta like:
I shot the bad guy
In my neighbor’s house
He was hiding behind the fridge
Looks like my neighbor will need a new fridge and some drywall.
LMAO... I get a little to serious sometimes... oops
However I am all to aware of gross over penetration.(never had that complaint from a gf) Several years ago I bought a Civil War Cannon. Not a big field piece but an interesting Small Boat Cannon used with The Mississippi River Flotilla. Just a cute little bugger with an 2 inch bore. It was in pretty bad shape so I restored it with blue prints from The Library of Congress. Quarter sawn White Oak with pegs, Naval Brass hardware, cast steel dolly wheels etc. I had the barrel x-rayed and "magn-fluxed" for flaws and I got a clean bill of health. In the process I learned a lot abought just what I had. They were quick to load and fired with a lanyard / hammer and a musket nipple rather than a fuse. Markings on it showed it was made at Fort Pitt Foundry in Pittsburgh, PA in 1862. After the war they were scrapped and salvaged because no body needed them any more. A few were used on sailing yachts as signal guns but with new steam whistles they were dumped.
I found through collectors quite a bit about this "little guy" and the power it has. With a 12 ounce ball and 3 ounces of FFg black powder, it has an effective rang at just over a mile and a half. Do not stand behind it because it will run you over. There are large steel eyes fastened through the carriage to lash the gun to the sides of the ship to contain the recoil. AND Do NOT fire it around houses or buildings because the muzzle blast can break windows. Do not try to make a back-stop to contain the projectile because it was designed to penetrate ship timbers. A gravel pit or stone quarry was recommended or a few miles of open range!
I just had to try. One evening along a county road (after looking at a map) with no buildings houses in the path, I loaded the little guy, cocked the hammer and capped the breech. It was just beginning to get dark and I gave the lanyard a yank. The little guy leaped backwards about eight feet, belched out a very impressive ball of flame and a thunderous "BLAM" The local County Sherriff and a State Trooper with about a dozen people appeared out of nowhere!
I was TOLD under no uncertain terms NEVER to do that again without first notifying the authorities. There were reports of an unknown explosion in the area. BIG OOPS!!!! Lesson Learned!
DSC_0086-A - Copy.jpg
DSC_0086-B - Copy.jpg
DSC_0086-C.jpg
DSC_0086-D - Copy.jpg

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know the rule, pictures or it never happened.

The 577 NE was made for one reason and one reason only, as a stopper for elephant. It worked magnificently. It was largely used only by professional ivory hunters though Elemer Keith did have one and I believe took it on his one trip to Africa. Your mention of a lack of recoil pad on a rifle chambered for the 577 NE is.....moot at best. You'd never know the difference whether it had one or not. The lightest rifle I know for that cartridge is about 14 lbs. I'd shoot one at the drop of hat...once.

I have 3 double rifles and have had another in the past. The cartridges are 8 X 75R, 8 X 60R Express and 11.15 X 60R. The one I sold was a 500 BPE in an E.M. Reilly, London. The metric cartridge rifles are a Vierordt, a Merkel and a Goldmann.. I bought all mine to use. Two are S X S and the Merkel is an O/U.
Okay, a couple pics from my insurance files. Not the greatest quality but okay.... John

0ca8f9d3a770b47f1b2dfe94c427d076.jpg
1bedd1a33c956d7713f768e935a33c6a.jpg
a0cec5a270c661ab902e38c939de384a.jpg
8668a7763f7f40d691ed9fcf990c690c.jpg
0102267f808b7ae0e93616376df33ef7.jpg
89d08a83758f65de5549f130f6a139a4.jpg

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Beautiful rifle, and Awesome little cannon! One of the nicest ones I have seen. Well done.

Reactions: chaswea and tedwitt

·
Registered
18,313 Posts
I’m the oddball, I’d jump all over the opportunity to fire that beast. 😬
Same here.. I like the 'big boy pants' type guns.
My largest is 470 nitro express in a double o/u. I do have bolt guns in 416 rigby and 458 Lott, as well as a ruger #1 in 375 H&H mag, and my small baby is a 9.3x74R sbs.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts