AM/FM/SW Setup Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilogulf59, May 1, 2009.

1. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Hopefully this is the right place for an assist on this...

Folks I would appreciate your input and advice on this as I am a communications putz and these things can run into big money (which I don’t have to waste).

Below is the kit I have tentatively decided on. I wanted a Sangean radio as per a good friend’s recommendation, however after I wrote several company’s so-called customer service department, the only one that wrote back was Eton/Grundig.

A gentleman by the name of Mr. Walter Hess not only assisted in the selection of my radio but graciously answered all my other associated queries.

[​IMG]Etón E5 [​IMG]Select-A-Tenna 541 [​IMG]Sangean ANT-60

The Etón E5 is a world class portable radio covering long wave, AM, FM and shortwave. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an amazing 700 channel memory capacity with memory scan and auto tuning storage. The 24 hour clock features alarm and sleep timer functions. Tuning is via auto-scan, manual scan, conventional tuning knob or direct keypad entry. FM stereo is supported to the mini earphone jack. There is even a Line Output jack to feed a tape recorder or external audio amplifier. The LCD display can be illuminated one of three ways. In Normal Mode pressing any button activates the display. While plugged into the AC outlet the Always-on mode illuminates the display whenever the radio is turned on. In Manual Mode the dial will light for 15 seconds when the light button is pressed. Other refinements include: Local/DX Switch, Wide-Narrow selectivity and external SW antenna jack.

The E5 operates from four AA cells (not supplied) or via the supplied AC wall adapter. The supplied AC adapter can also recharge NiMH AA cells (not supplied) while in the radio. (Do not attempt to recharge other types of AA cells). This radio also includes a multi-language Owner's Manual, wrist strap, protective case, wire antenna and ear buds. 6.675 x 4.125 x 1.125 inches 12.2 oz (168x105x29mm 346 g). One year limited warranty.

The Select-A-Tenna 541 is your ticket to improved AM Band performance on your portable radio. This is the original Select-A-Tenna used for the past 28 years by hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers. It provides the AM radio signal strength improvement required by most users. The Model 541 produces a signal gain of +30 dB when used with most AM radio receivers which have internal ferrite rod antennas. The Model 541 is a passive device that requires no wires, no batteries, no plugs, etc. It works by simply placing it next to your radio and tuning the knob to the same station frequency as your radio.

The Select-A-Tenna functions by concentrating the radio station signal energy in the near proximity of the 541. If your radio has an internal antenna and is placed in that same near proximity, it shares the same signal concentration and gain improvement.

While the +30 dB signal gain improvement from the Select-A-Tenna is underway the radio's automatic gain control will also reduce the signal above a threshold level. The net effect is to make very weak signals +30 dB stronger and yet have no perceivable effect on already strong station signals along with everything in between exceedingly improved. Select-A-Tennas are approximately 11 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches deep.

The Sangean ANT-60 portable roll-up shortwave antenna will improve the reception of any portable worldband receiver. The antenna wire may be extended up to 23 feet (7 m).

The ANT-60 terminates with a mini-plug (3.5 mm).

If your receiver does not have a mini external antenna jack, an adapter plug is provided to clip the ANT-60 to your radio's whip.

Addendum: Apparently the E5 in no longer available. I have been informed that the Grundig G5 is the exact same radio.

[​IMG] Grundig G5

The Grundig G5 is a world class portable radio covering long wave, AM, FM and shortwave. It features dual conversion AM/SW circuitry for exceptional sensitivity and image rejection. It offers S.S.B. - Single sideband reception. It has an amazing 700 channel memory capacity with memory scan and auto tuning storage. The 24 hour clock features alarm and sleep timer functions. Tuning is via auto-scan, manual scan, conventional tuning knob or direct keypad entry. FM stereo is supported to the mini earphone jack. There is even a Line Output jack to feed a tape recorder or external audio amplifier. The LCD display can be illuminated one of three ways. In Normal Mode pressing any button activates the display. While plugged into the AC outlet the always-on mode illuminates the display whenever the radio is turned on. In Manual Mode the dial will light for 15 seconds when the light button is pressed. Other refinements include: Local/DX Switch, Wide-Narrow selectivity and external SW antenna jack.

The G5 operates from four AA cells (not supplied) or via the supplied AC wall adapter. The supplied AC adapter can also recharge NiMH AA cells (not supplied) while in the radio. (Do not attempt to recharge other types of AA cells). This radio also includes a multi-language Owner's Manual, wrist strap and protective case. 6.675 x 4.125 x 1.125 inches 12.2 oz (168x105x29mm 346 g). One year limited warranty.

So there you have my picks…questions that come to my mind are how about combo AM/FM antennas and such?

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, or questions you may have. This is a learning experience for me so I am open to further proposal. Additionally I would like to get something right the first time, for a change.

2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have been a fan of Grundig for many years. The radio sitting next to my computer station is a Grundig FR-200. The windup version which also goes into the field with me, when I'm ot on assignment or such.

Pops

3. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

I had a FR-200 but the reception wasn't very good up here so I gave it to my daughter back in the city. Nice concept and very well made unit however.

4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Back in the 40s, 50s and early 60s, Grundig was THE brand to use. I either built my own trancievers or bought Hallicrafters, because I could not afford the Grundig rigs I wanted. I remember pricing an 11 meters tranceiver in the early 60s and it cost more than a week's gross pay. I was working 80 hours a week, then. :eek:

Pops

5. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

I have a Sangean ATS909 for many years and have been very pleased with it. It came with the roll-up antenna included, which works well. I also have a Select-A-Tenna, that has a jack in the front. It has a plug-in ferrite stick that you place next to your receiver, with about 3 feet of lead. Works very well, even pulls in very weak stations in the daytime. I buy my gear from Bob Grove at Grove Enterprises and like their service. www.grove-ent.com

6. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Active Member

I have been dealing with Universal Radio (originally Universal Service of Columbus, OH) and now of Reynoldsburg, OH for over 50 years. They are a full service amateur radio and short wave listener (SWL) shop handling virtually all brands. Their prices are quite competitive and their service has always been truly superb. You may check their web site out at http://www.universal-radio.com/location.html They are also great on the telephone. I might also point out that they also get in some extremely nice very high line SWL rigs which they check out, performance certify, and resell at reasonable prices. The smaller portable Grundig and Sangean units are both great, but you might be able to get a lot more performance bang for buck with a certified high quality used unit for a few bucks more. And generally speaking you do not need to use the inductive antenna booster on the higher performing receivers. I have bought their fully checked out and certified used better short wave listening equipment since forever and have always been quite pleased.

7. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Thank you all...

I will look into Grove and was already at Universal. I was wondering how good a used setup was...