Am I being paranoid here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ilovenxstage, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

With the increasing political tension, plus the fact that I live in an urban neighbourhood that's being taken over by the ghetto, I've become more "armed" 24/7. Sometimes I wonder if I go TOO far. Every night, I have two pistols, a high powered rifle, a Samurai sword and a knife all within reach. When I'm on my dialysis machine in the evenings (like I am right now), I have my loaded 9mm in a shoulder rig. Is there ever a point where one can be over-cautious? Just wondering others thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Re: Am I being parenoid here?

you need an early warning system. a dog.

3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i personally have a few theories when it comes to something like this. 1) "P" for "Plenty" 2)there is no such thing as "overkill", you should never find yourself out gunned and 3) one can never be "over prepaired" :D

thats just my opinion... if it takes what you have mentioned to make you feel that you and your family is safe then so be it. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6;)

4. artabr

artabr New Member

A dogs not a bad idea.
    Only you know the situation that you are in. I'd do what you have to to reach a level of security that you are comfortable with.

Art

5. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I actually do have a dog (part German shepherd and part coyote), and she barks loud enough and looks mean enough to scare most people off, however if someone actually got in, she would run and hide. She's all bark and no bite. I should add that one of the pistols I have is only a .22 revolver, and I'm not very good with the sword or the knife, but I figure they're not hurting anything just sitting there with my "real" defensive weapons. There have been multiple murders in this area in the last several months, and I just feel that if anyone tries to get in to my house to hurt my family, they will not do it without a fight.

6. durk

durk Active Member

Just a thought but.... you might not want to have so many weapons lying around that a BG could use them against you. you only have so many hands.;):)

7. ARB

ARB New Member

I agree, you don't want to have to fumble between five or six weapons. They have those alarms that you put on door and window frames. When the beam is tripped they scream like bloody hell. And they are cheap. That may give you enough time to decide how to arm yourself. An assault rifle in an urban setting may cause more harm than good. How close are your neighbors? Sell the sword and get a scattergun. In a hallway you really can't miss.

8. islenos

islenos Active Member

Just because your paranoid, it doesn't mean their not out to get you:cool:

Attached Files:

9. topper

topper New Member

Paranoid? I don't think so. you can never be careful enough, city or in rural country. always be prepared. remember: a gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone. my choice, however is a ruger .357 magnum and a sawed off double barrel 20 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot. even if i do miss, it will probably scare the he!! outta someone. at least the perps will know you mean business.

Keep both barrels loaded!

10. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

My 2¢ . . .
    The sword is a bit over the top. The dogote is doing the job: Alerting you and getting outta the way (after all, YOU'VE got the weapons, right?).

I'm comfortable with a cowardly German Shepard barker-dog, a 12 ga. and a pistol. You might want to 'simplify', as ARB suggests. After all, the B/G isn't gonna stand there while you ponder the 'best' defensive tool to utilize.

Big question: Has anything actually 'happened' to ratchet up your defensive posture?

11. combatvampire

combatvampire New Member

You should allways have your gun on you, The only time I don't have it on me is when I'm in bed, and then I have a 870 next to me. It's not good enough to have it close. What if someone kicks in your door and it's across the room.

12. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I personaly sleep with a loaded handgun behind the headboard and semi-auto shotgun under the bed and a knife under the pillow, but I'm really paranoid, it was to the point that the slightest noise woke me up.

13. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Get rid of the sword and get a 12 ga. They will rapidly adjust somebody's attitude.

14. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I do agree that the sword is a little excessive, especially since I have virtually no sword combat skill, and if the bad guy has a gun, my cheap katana won't stop a bullet. A shotgun would be good to have, if I can find one that I can afford. (EXTREMELY limited budget). Thanks for all the advice.

15. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

The sound of a pump shotgun will scare off most normal crooks. A drugged up crook may need a load of #4 buck shot to convince. I have a 12 gauge and the wife has her 20 gauge both next to the bed. I carry even when on the john dropping the kids off at the pool.