The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a Swedish Mauser type 96/38 that appears to be in fairly decent condition. All I have is internet pics of the actual gun and some info about it but I would like a little help in determining a value for it. I'm saying a max of about $400 in today's market. Here's the info and a couple pics, anyone have a different opinion? Looks like the bolt will be newer but I have been unable to determine the age of the rifle by the serial number. Not sure, but going by what I've read, it is not possible to determine age by SN.

Good condition - 18.5" - 90% blue remaining - crisp markings - SN 229065

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm not really sure what you've got there...a parts gun? Not a M96/38 pattern.
Maybe a Home Guard or other non-military modification that I've never seen before.
Going by the serial number, it should be a Gustaf M96 action from roughly 1906-1908 (I don't have my Swede books here at my town home). You can roughly date the types by serial number and guesstimate the year of production by comparing to other rifles of similar maker/pattern. To date the action positively, you need the year on the receiver ring. And that will only tell you the original pattern and not a later pattern mod during an arsenal rework such as an M96/38, M41A, etc.

I would email the seller and ask if it's a Husky or a Gustaf (or maybe an Oberndorf) and what year is on the receiver ring. And is it numbers matching.

The 18.5" barrel is an odd length..if he's measuring it correctly. The M94 carbines are roughly 17.5". the M96/38 & the M38 are just a hair shy of 24", and full length M96 and M41s have the 29.1" barrel.

It looks like an M94 handguard on a bobbed M38 pattern stock since the barrel band looks like it's covering the front of the forearm groove. An M94 or other carbine variant would have short grooves...except for the M94/96 Fortress carbine which is normally sans grooves altogether.
The bolt handle looks like a typical Husky handle...but some of the arsenal reworks sometimes look similar to the M38 bolt handle. A true M96/38 should have a straight handle.
The front sight looks like a typical M96, M96/38, etc sight, not a M94 carbine sight.

If it is a parts gun, then I wouldn't go more than $200 on it...and that's just purely as a shooter.
If it is supposedly some rare variant, then the seller should have some documentation to back it up and I can't help you with the value.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Binder, a parts gun isn't what I'm interested in. I'm busy enough messing with restoring the occasional M1 Carbine, I don't need another gun that requires a lot of work. I still haven't heard back from the owner but I'm looking elsewhere for more of a true 96-38. It's out there somewhere. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts