The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a discussion on another forum about proper handling of a 1911.

I've always held the trigger back while dropping the slide. Read this years and years ago and it said it takes a big load off the disconnector and/or sear.

Some say it's "unsafe." I could see ...unsafe... if a newbie is doing it as it does take a tiny bit of practice.

I always carried the thought that while the gun IS FIRING...the slide is moving back and forth and the
....... TRIGGER IS BEING PULLED ................................

Sooooo...... trigger back or don't touch it while dropping slide??

:)

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Read Bill Wilson explaining this....I was parked on side of road waiting,said "Huh",picked up my 1911 and tried......luckily the bullet missed the transmission on it's way to the ground-nice hole in floor......Thought to myself-Wilson may be a great builder,but I won't follow any other advice.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,372 Posts
I can't think of any reason to close the slide while pulling the trigger, other than to check the reset point on an unloaded gun. I would certainly never do it with a loaded firearm.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As long as you keep the trigger pulled properly it will not go off when you chamber a round, the disconnector will prevent that same as when firing.
If you only pull the trigger without much force I can see the trigger bouncing while the slide moves forward resulting in a ND.
I would not do it and looking at the schematics of a 1911 trigger I fail to see a reason to do so.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still can't shake the idea that the trigger is back while the gun is running.

:confused:

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
I still can't shake the idea that the trigger is back while the gun is running.

:confused:
Why would you want to do it? There is a disconnector safety - but it is a mechanical thing - and mechanical things are well known to malfunction. Unless I am firing the weapon, I make it a practice to point the weapon in a SAFE direction, hold the hammer and EASE it down CAREFULLY. Haven't shot myself or anyone else doing this yet, and I don't intend to.

I've been a Flight Engineer and a mechanic most of my life, and I have learned to never completely trust any mechanical safety 100%. They are not meant to fail - but they do.

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
Seriously. Y'all never heard of this?

This was taught by and to target shooters (I think it was originally dreamed up by the Army Marksmanship Unit). When you have an extremely light trigger pull, the sear and the hammer are just barely sitting there holding each other. And if you reach up and push down the slide stop, the big WHUMP of the slide slamming home CAN knock that very tenuous juxtaposition of hammer and sear apart, making the hammer fall. And if it does jerk apart, it can booger up that finally honed one-pound trigger pull. If you pull the trigger and hold it back before you push down the slide stop, the hammer and sear are completely separated and the disconnector prevents firing.

That's the theory.

I can see that happening, maybe, if you got a 1-pound trigger on a bullseye pistol.

But none of my guns have that light of a trigger pull. And I don't use the slide stop to let the slide go forward, either. It's a slide stop, not a slide release. I slingshot the slide.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I never heard of it either. I also don't use the slide stop to release the slide. I slingshot it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Disconnector is about $13. Much less than the paint and spackle you would have to buy for shooting a hole in the wall. Go ahead and break it. Worn down disconnectors feel better anyway.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As Alpo said, I picked this up from my bullseye days. It ...was... for target guns.
I just picked it up and it became habit. I never let the slide slam shut. Only function the slide stop has for me is to stop the slide when the mag is empty.
I slingshot all my autos.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
As Alpo said, I picked this up from my bullseye days. It ...was... for target guns.
I just picked it up and it became habit. I never let the slide slam shut. Only function the slide stop has for me is to stop the slide when the mag is empty.
I slingshot all my autos.
I don't ride the slide down. I pull it back and let it go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts