The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the above mentioned revolver . The name is listed on top of the barrel of the gun. We found some information that told us if it was on the top of the barrel, it was made between 1887-1889. We also found a serial number? under the hand grip #7002. Is this really the serial number and do we have the manufacture date correct--Iver Johnson Arms Co.--supposedly was the manufacture for that date. Also, it is in average condition for a gun of that age-what would it be worth?

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
In perfect condition, those guns can bring around $400, In average condition, and functional, they go for around $150. If the nickel plating is peeling, the gun is rusted or not functional, the value would be less.

Jim

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The Iver Johnson American Bull Dog, Second Model, was marked in a straight line across the top of the barrel " AMERICAN BULL DOG ", made from 1887-1899. Serial number 7002 would have been the seven thousand and two made, probably the first year, made both in 38 rim fire and 38 S&W. With out pictures it would be difficult to give any type of accurate assessment on value, but even as collect interest is gaining on these old Iver Johnson's they are still a low dollar item ( which is why collectors interest is growing, they are still affordable.) Average condition for a gun that age usually means well worn, as a WAG perhaps 100 to 150, however as stated that is a wild a$$ guess, with out pictures only Lamont Cranston knows for sure.Hope that helps. If you can post pictures identification may be more positive and a more accurate value could be given.:)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
We have the above mentioned revolver . The name is listed on top of the barrel of the gun. We found some information that told us if it was on the top of the barrel, it was made between 1887-1889. We also found a serial number? under the hand grip #7002. Is this really the serial number and do we have the manufacture date correct--Iver Johnson Arms Co.--supposedly was the manufacture for that date. Also, it is in average condition for a gun of that age-what would it be worth?
Welcome to TFF.

Clear pics are needed to verify what you have, as there was a Belgian maker who also used the American Bulldog marking, and value depends on original condition and caliber.

If you have Iver Johnson'e 2nd model, the correct dates are 1887-1899, and the original hard rubber grips had a dog's head surrounding the grip screw. The number under the grip is a batch number, and can't be used to date the gun.

The large frame .44 with loading gate will sell significantly higher than the small and medium frame .22/.32/.38 calibers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information--I will try to get a picture soon but it is slightly rusted. It is an Iver Johnson and not made by the Belgian company because the dog's head on the grip has the screw right in the middle of the head. So it was made between 1887and1899? Second model? batch number makes it 7,002 guns made?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thanks for all the information--I will try to get a picture soon but it is slightly rusted. It is an Iver Johnson and not made by the Belgian company because the dog's head on the grip has the screw right in the middle of the head. So it was made between 1887and1899? Second model? batch number makes it 7,002 guns made?
According to Goforth's book, each production year the early solid frame models were numbered 1 through 99,999 in each frame size, so it could be the 7,002nd made any year 1887-1899.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
And that is much more than average wear and tear, it has been rode hard and put away wet. Maybe a 100 dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew it had been treated badly--it belonged to a neighbor's father who used it to shoot his hogs when he slaughtered. This neighbor passed away several years ago at age 78 so you can imagine how old it is and how it was probably treated. The neighbor gave it to me before he passed away. I have shot it a few times but as you know the .38SW are really expensive so it's not a gun I plan to use much just wanted info for sentimental reasons--this neighbor was a dear friend!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Understand, also just for information , it is a black powder frame, modern smokeless ammo probably won't blow it up { maybe }, but, it will sure shoot it loose in a very short time span. good luck and shoot safe.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mr. James (and others) who responded to my request for information! I have a better understanding of my revolver's history and am grateful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts