American sailors ROCK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armedandsafe, Apr 8, 2009.

1. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Whether military or civilian.

http://www.military.com/news/article/somali-pirates-seize-21-american-sailors.html?ESRC=eb.nl
    Don't screw with Americans! You might be invited to talk a long walk off a short plank. :D

Pops

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  2. artabr

artabr New Member

The MSM jumped the gun.

At this time the captain and possibly one other crew member are still held hostage. It ain't over yet. :(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_af/piracy_43

US crewman: Somali pirates hold crewman hostage

By KATHARINE HOURELD, Associated Press Writer Katharine Houreld, Associated Press Writer – 10 mins ago
    NAIROBI, Kenya – The American crew of a hijacked U.S.-flagged ship retook control of the vessel from Somali pirates Wednesday but a crew member was still being held hostage, according to the ship's operator and another member of the crew. U.S. officials said American warships were heading to the hijack scene. A crew member aboard the vessel told The Associated Press that his shipmates were trying to rescue a crew member who was still being held.

Colin Wright, who identified himself as a third mate aboard the ship, said, "Somalian pirates have one of our crew members in our lifeboat and we are trying to recover that crew member."

Asked whether that crew member was the ship's captain, Collin told the AP he couldn't say anything else. Earlier, a person aboard the ship told the AP by phone that it was the captain who was being held by the pirates.

At one point, the pirates had held the boat and the entire crew of Americans. Wright said: "We're really busy right now, but you can call back in an hour or two."

President Barack Obama was following the situation closely, foreign policy adviser Denis McDonough said.

"We are able to confirm that the crew of the Maersk Alabama has is now in control of the ship," said Kevin Speers, a spokesman for Maersk Lines Limited. "The armed hijackers who boarded this ship earlier today have departed, however they are currently holding one member of the ship's crew as a hostage. The other members of the crew are safe and no injuries have been reported."

The ship was carrying emergency food relief to Mombasa, Kenya, when it was hijacked, the Copenhagen-based container shipping group A.P. Moller-Maersk said.

It was the sixth vessel seized within a week, a rise that analysts attribute to a new strategy by Somali pirates who are operating far from the warships patrolling the Gulf of Aden.

___

Associated Press writers Jon Resnick in Washington, Barbara Surk in Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Pauline Jelinek in Washington; Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen; Samantha Bomkamp in New York; and Tom Maliti and Anita Powell in Nairobi, Kenya contributed to this report.

Art

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009

3. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    All hands on deck! Master-at-Arms, issue cutlasses, short-pikes and pistols! Prepair to repell boarders!

Hopefully the captain the other crewman will come out of this unharmed.

4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Why doesn't the Navy bring back the Q-ships? That would teach the pirates a lesson in manners:D:D

5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Q-ships! LOL I hadn't thought of them for years. That would be GREAT fun. Video tape it and sell it as Saturday night prime time series. :D

Pops

6. artabr

artabr New Member

I'm loving this idea! :D

Shoot on site works for me too.

Art

7. paulrw

paulrw New Member

What I don't understand is why we don't go after the pirates with force. One of the news shows (60 minutes maybe or 20/20) did a piece. They interviewed ppl from a pirate friendly Somali vilalge. Nothing a few cruise missles wouldn't fix. Let the Marines go in and finsih the operation.

8. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

I think that isn't nice or something? Not sure. I'm sure Obama has a good reason for everything he does (or doesn't do) though. ;)

9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

It certainly isn't Emily Post, but it sure reminds me of Grandma Combs. (My maternal Grandmother.)

Pops

10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Nice shmice...blow the pirates put of the water and there'll be less pirates;):D:p