Ammo .556

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Theorich, Mar 14, 2017.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

Now you have a great excuse to buy a new rifle to shoot all the surplus ammo. :)

SilasW and howlnmad like this.
  2. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You're welcome, it's a commonly misunderstood issue.

3. Theorich

Theorich Member Supporting Member

Too late, my wife saw your post and revoked by 2nd amendment rights:rolleyes:

jim brady likes this.
  4. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

I actually did that.

After I sold my Glock 19, I still had 6 boxes of cartridges, and I missed having a 9x19 pistol.

So naturally, I went out and bought a Glock 43.

My shooting buddy thought that was the strangest thing he had ever hear of.

5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Pssst.......heybuddy over here. Other companies make 9mms besides Gluck;)

6. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Sounds like SOMEBODY needs to build a 5.56 AR with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist barrel.........(Theorich;)). Now would be a great time to do it.:D

crystalphoto likes this.
  7. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Now I don't have an answer if it will work but, it would seem to me that if that is true then the 30 cal ammo for an Enfild would be dangerious to fire in a modern bolt action?

8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Don, your question is without context.o_O The only ".30 Enfield" I can think of would be the U.S. Model of 1917, caliber .30-06, and that is one of the two strongest military bolt actions ever made. The Arasaka proved the strongest.

I have fired 100 rounds of actual 1918 production .30-06 (unknowingly at the time), all were sure-fire and none showed any problems at all in a 1903A3. This was about 1972.

Thinking more about what you wrote, I think maybe I see where you come from. You have to understand that the .223 Remington and the 5.56mm are two different rounds. Might make more sense to look at it this way: There was an old cartridge, the .38 Automatic Colt Pistol (.38 ACP) that came out in 1900. In 1929, the cartridge was sooped-up to MUCH higher working pressure and velocity, re-named the ".38 Super", and although the bullets and the cases are exactly the same - they are no longer the SAME caliber.

There is another that pops up here on TFF with surprising frequency. This is the 7.62mm CTME Spanish cartridge for converted 7mm small ring bolt action rifles. This caliber used the same case and bullet as the 7.62 NATO round, but the two are NOT interchangeable, with the Spanish round being factory loaded to much lower pressures. The reason is that these rifles are sold as "7.62", and quite often the buyers and sellers do not understand the difference. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Pawpaw40 and SilasW like this.
  9. Don Fischer

Just saw this. Wasn't thinking of the Enfield was thing Graand. It's 308 I think and it's an auto loader. I don't follow military rifles much!

10. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry Don but the M1 Garand is a 30-06.

;)

11. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

There were a number of Garands that were produced or converted to 308 in the late 40's to early 50's.

12. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Gotcha, didn't know we were talking about conversions. My bad.

jim brady likes this.
  13. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

Some people call me a nitpicker. I don't know why.;)

14. Don Fischer

308 or 30-06, boh were in military weapons and I've never heard anything about not usong them in commerical bolts. Bur Hornady does list them separately fron the 30-06 and 308 comercial rounds.Looking at the 223 and 5.56 Nato,max load for BLC 2 in the 223 w/60gr bullet is 27.7 grs.The max in the 5.56 Nato is 27.9,same bullet. Using W748 in the 223 max is25.5 grs and in the 5.56 Nato 25.7 grs. Looking at the M1 Garand, it's about the same story. Between the 308 Win and 308 Service round, the 308 Win seem's to be loaded to higher pressure's with the same bullet.

I thi k to be sure the thing to do is only mix them with bolt action rifles. Wish I had a 223 now and some surplus military ammo, I'd give it a try. Just not that much difference between the 223 and the 5.56 Nato. I remember in the military all kinds of claims about the 5.56 were out there. At 500 yds it would break every bone in the arm if you were hit there. Then one of the best was that the 55gr bullet in the 5.56 Nato started tumbling as soon as it hit. To do that the bullet would hve to be out of balance and then it would be hard telling where it would go. If the M16 with it's auto action can handle the pressure of the 5.56 Nato I strongly suspect a bolt action 223 would also.

15. Don Fischer

Think I wonder about is why so many people want to use military surplus ammo, my son included. I wouldn't be for throwing FMJ's all over the place.