The Firearms Forum banner

Do you have a favorite 22lr round?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am retired and have a lot of free time I can try things I never had time for. I have been testing different 22 ammo to find what my rifles really like. My 1st test was a few weeks ago. I used Remington Golden, Federal 40 grain bulk, and CCI mini mags. The main thing I found is I needed to adjust my scope with every different ammo I used. They all shot ok once I adjusted the scope. CCI shot high and left. Federal was right on. This was the ammo I started with. Remington was low to the right.

I never realized there was this much difference with ammo. I had no problems with any of this ammo. No FTF. I shot around 300 rounds in a little over 2 hours. All of the groups were tight. None of it stood out as a clear winner.

I dug into my 22 ammo stash and came up with my next test batch. Armscor standard velocity 40 grain. Aquila subsonic 40 grain. Remington Thunderbolts. I have one more group of 3 I can try after this.

·
Administrator
11,387 Posts
Which firearm are you using? Are you adjusting the scope for poa for each batch?

I have the most consistent accuracy in different firearms using CCI Standard Velocity.

·
GUNZILLA
6,208 Posts
What you are doing is exactly how I got hooked on shooting rimfire rifles. For me I found out that the bulk and less expensive ammo did not fair well in my rifles. Slowly over the years I used up most of my bulk ammo shooting my S&W 617 in double action only to help me be a better shot with my 686 when shooting double action. One thing for sure is that none of my firearms like any ammo made by Winchester. I now only concentrate on CCI and Aguila ammo as this is what shoots best in all my firearms aside from the top tier ammo. Since I buy the ammo by the cases I just shoot which ever ammo and only end up adjusting my sights until I shoot the case up.
It does not matter which ammo from cci or aguila all their variations do real good in my rifles.

·
Premium Member
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which firearm are you using? Are you adjusting the scope for poa for each batch? This was all shot with my Ruger American Rimfire bolt.

I have the most consistent accuracy in different firearms using CCI Standard Velocity.
What you are doing is exactly how I got hooked on shooting rimfire rifles. For me I found out that the bulk and less expensive ammo did not fair well in my rifles. Slowly over the years I used up most of my bulk ammo shooting my S&W 617 in double action only to help me be a better shot with my 686 when shooting double action. One thing for sure is that none of my firearms like any ammo made by Winchester. I now only concentrate on CCI and Aguila ammo as this is what shoots best in all my firearms aside from the top tier ammo. Since I buy the ammo by the cases I just shoot which ever ammo and only end up adjusting my sights until I shoot the case up.
It does not matter which ammo from cci or aguila all their variations do real good in my rifles.
That sounds like good advice. I too have had some bad problems with Winchester ammo as of late.

Reactions: ms6852

·
Super Moderator
39,095 Posts
Here lately, I mostly buy subsonic, mainly because of the suppressor I have. I recently learned (thanks Zant) that all standard velocity rounds provide the same sound level as the subsonic. I bought most of the .22 ammo that I have during our last shortage and I bought anything I could find, I have 4 or 5 "buckets" of the Remington golden bullets, I have CCI, Aguila, Norma, and who knows what other brands. Something that I will never buy again is the CCI Quiet, I found them to be the sorryist shooting ammo I ever used. Other than that,most of the other ammo seem to be about the same in regards to accuracy.

·
Premium Member
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This week I was shooting with one of the top rimfire shooters at the club. He only shoots one brand of ammo. I forget the name. Some imported stuff. He told me to only use standard velocity for target work. He said high-velocity ammo is not as accurate.

·
Registered
Pensacola Florida
3,638 Posts
This week I was shooting with one of the top rimfire shooters at the club. He only shoots one brand of ammo. I forget the name. Some imported stuff. He told me to only use standard velocity for target work. He said high-velocity ammo is not as accurate.
He is absolutely correct. Most all of the better .22 ammo is imported. I shoot a lot of Federal auto match ammo when plinking, but SK, Eley, Wolf, and RWS When I want to shoot tiny groups.

Reactions: sparkyv and gvw3

·
Super Moderator
26,239 Posts
I picked up several boxes of Norma. I'm quite impressed with it.

Reactions: gvw3

·
GUNZILLA
6,208 Posts
He said high-velocity ammo is not as accurate.
I find this puzzling but could be true depending on the distances shot. For me I have found that the high velocity rounds from Aguila at 230 yards are the most accurate out of my 10-22's where I can break clay targets and than the fragments. You would think that the transonic stage the bullet enters at that distance would affect it, but it doesn't seem to. With the standard and subsonic rounds I find I need to shoot extra rounds to break a target, and the wind seems to affect it more than the higher velocity rounds. Now at shorter distance I agree with your friends because my subsonic and standard velocity rounds have tighter groups at 25, 50, and a hundred yards.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Have had best results with CCI standard velocity (subsonic; 1070 fps) long rifle. My favorite 22s are over 100 years old and I'm convinced that they shouldn't be shot with high velocity ammo. My two cents.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I do have a favorite, CCI SV, but I do shoot others as well. Blazer and Federal work great for me too. My CZ455 really likes the FED LRN which is cool because I got a bunch of it pretty cheap a few years ago. Anything WIN is one of the worsts for my 22s but regardless, I'll still plink with those for fun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have found different brands shoot better in one gun than another. The .22's I know I'm going to shoot a lot I try to buy a significant amount of ammunition for all and at the same time paying attention to lot numbers. I have a couple .22's I have bought cases of 5000 rounds for. (Those were the days) I tag each gun with the info of which ammo it likes best. I don't trust my memory anymore.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I shoot a lot of CCI high velocity and then have one that shoots the quiets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My Anschutz rifles shoot well with CCI SV and Blazer and surprising well with the CCI poly coated HV ammo. I havn't tried the SV poly coat yet. They also shoot 40 & 60 gr Aguila ammo well.
The Mexican CI was OK as far as accuracy but it was unreliable. Too many misfires with CI to overlook.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I have tested pretty much everything, through a bunch of rifles and several pistols. The main thing I look for is group size, period. And all three rifles and all three pistols (ok, 2 pistols, the NAA shoots them all badly, lol) actually “like” different rounds.

But for me all of them shoot Remington Golden Bullet 36 gr Hps “acceptably,” not always the best but close, so that is what I buy in bulk because it’s probably the cheapest I can buy that work well, in the 525 round bulk boxes. I USED to pay $8.95 a box for them, complained like anything when they hit $20, have seen them for as much as $49.99, but the last carton I bought for like $30.

The next one they all like is Aquila 40 gr. Then CCI mini mags. Some expensive target velocity stuff I did not see much improvement in group size except in my scoped Glenfield 25, but it also likes Stingers, and grouped them as well as the target ones, go figure. But nothing else I own likes stingers or vipers.

I have partial boxes of everything, from stingers to Truncated vipers, to Remington 40 grain solids and many others.

I shoot the Goldens through the NAA for practice, but I carry it as my backup CCW with solids, if I ever needed it I need all the penetration I can get😎

·
GUNZILLA
6,208 Posts
My sister gave me a couple of bricks of the M22 Winchester rounds because she sold her Ruger 22/45 to my brother. I've never have liked winchester ammo because non of my firearms shoot it well. But like you I use it on my NAA and my 617 for practice. Since I carry a wheel gun this is how I practice shooting double action only. So winchester does serve a purpose, but will never buy it. I have concentrated on buying wolf match, cci, and aguila.

·
Premium Member
19,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always passed up the foreign stuff and just bought whatever bulk was on sale. Now that I have more time I am going to shoot a lot more 22. As this ammo becomes available I will buy it.

Reactions: ms6852

·
GUNZILLA
6,208 Posts
I love shooting 22. Last week I spent 3 hours testing my skills at a 100 yards with iron sights and a 7 mph wind. Just can't beat it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts