The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at more ammo cans this morning and found a used military combo pack of 1-30 cal and 1-50 cal for $20. Does anyone know of a better deal anywhere?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I would suggest buying those two ammo cans. A lot of people are buying them up just as much as ammo, and that price is not really in the gouging range. At gunshows I have seen in good condition U.S. ammo cans go for $10-$15 for those two sizes. Just check the rubber gasket in the lid to make sure it is not dried up and still playable.

·
Super Moderator
40,122 Posts
The only one I know of is Harbor Freight that has the plastic .30 caliber cans for $2.99

·
GUNZILLA
6,478 Posts
For years I could walk into a army surplus store and buy them for ten bucks. Suddenly the cheapest I find are 15 and up now.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Another option is the MTM ammo storage containers, that is if they are not all snatched up. I have two small MTM containers for over twenty five years that I keep 22 LR ammo in with no deterioration of the seals, hinges, and latches.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Noticed and bought a few, the last couple years around black Friday. Local farm n home, and Academy Sports. If I remember correctly $10 each for 50 cal. Maybe this year.

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,406 Posts
The last ones I bought were $12 each... and that was several years ago.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
That price doesn't sound too bad. The last ones that I bought are plastic and came full of 9mm ammo. All my steel ones are compliments of the USMC.

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
I see Rural King has the 50 cal metal cans advertised for $11.99

·
Super Moderator
26,948 Posts
And they are embossed with "Rural King" on the side.
I wasn't aware of that. I just saw them on their website yesterday but didn't notice.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Buyer be aware that some of these nock off Chicom ammo cans that look like U.S.Military ammo cans are not as air and water tight as the real U.S.Military ammo cans. There is a YouTube video of a test some guy did were he took a real U.S.Military ammo can and a nock off ammo can, filled them with, if I remember correctly, uncoated steel nuts snd bolts, and tossed both into a pond, and some months later retrieved them. The real U.S.Military ammo was completely dry inside with no rust on the nuts and bolts, but the nock off ammo can was filled with water, and needles to say, the nuts and bolts were all servilely rusted.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got it PRR. I do have a few knock off cans, just careful what I put in them and where they are stored.

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
I have a lot of the .30cal Milsurp cans and a few of the .50 cal milsurp cans (All US Made. I even have 4 20mm Rocket Cans in my Garage. I store reloaded ammo in some of the 30cal cans and 50cal cans in my Walk in closet next to my Rifle Safe.30cal cans cost me $5 each 50cal cans $7 each. The 20mm rocket cans were given to me by my Uncle. All the Seals are pliable I also have some Plastic 50cal cans that I store Boxes of Factory ammo in.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Buyer be aware that some of these nock off Chicom ammo cans that look like U.S.Military ammo cans are not as air and water tight as the real U.S.Military ammo cans. There is a YouTube video of a test some guy did were he took a real U.S.Military ammo can and a nock off ammo can, filled them with if I remember correctly, uncoated steel nuts snd bolts, and tossed both both into a pond, and some months later retrieved them. The real U.S.Military ammo was completely dry inside with no rust on the nuts and bolts, but the nock off ammo can was filled with water, and needles to say, the nuts and bolts were all servilely rusted.
Got it PRR. I do have a few knock off cans, just careful what I put in them and where they are stored.
If possible, put desiccant in the ammo cans. I have U.S.Military 50 Cal ammo cans that I store primers in and the 40mm grenade ammo cans for gunpowder with desiccant in both types and some of the gunpowder and primers are fifteen years old and in perfectly preserved condition. I do check on the condition of the desiccant which the glass silica type. If they are transparent, their good, but if they are translucent or opaque, into an oven set on low laid out on a cookie sheet for twenty to thirty minutes or so until the little beads are transparent again. There is a silica desiccant that look like clay and grayish green in color, but I don’t like them because they do not indicate if the are activated or not. You can get desiccant from Grainger or McMaster-Carr.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Natchez SS, has 4 - 50 cal cans for $40 plus shipping., plus more. All military surplus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts