The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a few loaded rounds (maybe 2,000) in my garage and was kind of concerned about what would happen if the house caught on fire. I had assumed that a fire involving live ammo would be a dangerous situation. Turns out it is not too bad. In fact it's less dangerous than a five gallon can of lawnmower gas or aerosol cans. Found this very interesting video produced by SAMMI that shows just what happens when ammo is crushed, shot, or burned. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

·
Registered
280 Posts
The NFPA does not list small arms ammunition as a fire hazard. In fact they clearly state any projectile from burning ammunition will not pierce a fireman’s outer most garment. And they don’t consider ammunition any more dangerous than an aerosol can.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
This should bee seen by every reloader. I've read several posts about how "dangerous, explosive" stored ammo is, mostly by those that know very little about today's ammunition...

·
Registered
76 Posts
of bigger concern is stored quantities of powder. Thats why powder storage is supposed to have a weak point, so it will blow open and burn vs contain the pressure and explode.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
of bigger concern is stored quantities of powder. Thats why powder storage is supposed to have a weak point, so it will blow open and burn vs contain the pressure and explode.
Does that mean powder should not be stored in a pressure cooker?

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Loaded guns are the only real problem in a house fire. Powder, primers, and loose loaded ammo is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts