Ammo for 7mm Chilean Mauser? Help?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Texxut, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Texxut

Texxut Member

I recently picked up a model 1895 Chilean Mauser. All my loading books say not to shoot modern ammo or any of the loads in the books in these old rifles. So, what are you guys shooting in these Chilean mausers? Or, is no one shooting these? There must be some ammo out there that is ok to use. Or at least a load that is mild enough to shoot in these old girls.???

2. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I would think that factory ammo for that gun (I'm guessing that it's 7mm mauser) should be okay being that the companies typically load it to older standards with the assumption that it will be also used in older guns. The same goes for alot of other calibers, notably the 45-70. But you should email an ammuntion maker as they will know the answer for sure.

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is quoting out of the Speer #12.

"The industry working pressure for the 7mm Mauser is 46,000 cup in deference to the weaker Model 93 and 95 Mausers still in use. THE NEW COMMERCIAL SPORTERS AND ORIGINAL MODEL 98 MAUSERS HAVE STRONGER ACTIONS AND CAN HANDLE SOMEWHAT HEAVIER LOADS. THE FOLLOWING DATA WERE DEVELOPED TO A MAXIMUM PRESSURE OF 50,000 CUP AND SHOULD ONLY BE FIRED IN MODERN COMMERCIAL RIFLES AND MODEL 98 MAUSERS KNOWN TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION. OWNERS OF MODEL 93 AND 95 MAUSERS SHOULD NOT EXCEED THE STARTING LOADS. DO NOT USE THESE LOADS IN ANY REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCK RIFLE."

Yes, I know most of that was in caps, and caps is considered shouting, but Speer wrote it in caps, so I quoted it in caps.

But the way I read that, factory ammo is safe in the 95 and Speer starting loads are safe in the 95.

4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Yup, factory 7x57 loads should be loaded to the old Mauser standard of 45,000cup.

The only ones that I've had that seemed hot were some PMC that I had bought for a 95 many years ago...those did a good job of flattening primers and stretching the brass more than the W-W stuff I've also used. Not sure if it was due to ill-spec'd brass or hot loads though. I had the same trouble with PMC 6.5x55 in one of my M38s and those were pretty hot compared to W-W factory loads. Good thing that PMC is no longer around...I've heard of others having problems with PMC too.

If you're handloading, I believe that the Hornady manual still has loads listed for the old Mausers. (I don't have my manuals handy to confirm this at the moment though).

5. Texxut

Texxut Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

6. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

You might want to stay away from Hornady 7x57 light magnums.

7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

My father has a 7x57 Mauser that he bought in a barrel of surplus rifles and turned into a sporting rifle in a gunsmithing class in the early 60s. We've fired reloads and factory ammo with no trouble.