Ammo for Browning Buckmark?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by charleslee, Apr 8, 2009.

1. charleslee

charleslee New Member

Just bought a Browning Buckmark Camper. Have to wait for Permit to Purchase a Handgun to come through before I can pick it up. But anyhow, could anyone tell me, w/ I be able to use any ammo w/ it? I have some Federal bulk stuff I got from Cabelas. I had a Ruger MK111, 22-45, that I traded in for the Camper. It gave me alot of trouble w/ stove-pipes, FTF. FTE, etc., & I used a couple types of ammo. I hope the Buckmark runs smoother, I want something that I can shoot just about anything in w/out any problems. Thanks for your help!

2. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

There is no yes or no answer to your question. All guns act different depending on how they were made. My Rugers eat Federal all day long, Winchester hollow points all day, Remmington Thunderbolts--no way. Bulk ammo in a hollow point will be more prone to problems than say CCI. I'd get a box of different ones, rather than buying a brick and see what the gun likes.

3. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

As pk32 said it all depends on your gun. Try what you have and see how it works. My anything except Remington my friends Ruger will eat Remington but not Winchester. In my opinion you should have Kept the Ruger. Just my opinion though. The Buckmark is alot easier to take apart that the Ruger. I now own 3 Rugers 2-MKII's and a MKIII I'm a pro at taking them apart now. Enjoy the Buckmark they are nice guns too. JUNK

4. Hunt SD

Hunt SD New Member

My Buckmark eats most anything. I did notice lately that it does not like the $13.50 Federal 550 count bulk HP. I got stove pipes every third bullet or so. This is unfortunate since I bought about 5 boxes of the stuff. Oddly my picky Sig Mosquito seems to like the stuff, who would have thunk? Maybe I can quit feeding it the $15 box of 325 count Federal match ammo.

5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

We have 4 buckmarks in different configurations in our group. All of them will eat any 22lr ammo put in them. I still believe that the big difference in these pistols is proper breaking in. We all used high power, hi velocity ammo to break them in after a very thourough cleaning. This could of course just be coincidence but not likely as I have several of the well known 22's that are supposed to give lots of trouble and they all work flawlessly, even all three of my charter arms ar7's.
    Personally I have the buckmark hunter and it is the one that goes after the squirrels and rabbits with me. Very accurate and extremely reliable.

6. plumbago

plumbago New Member

Answer: CCI MiniMags solid or HP. Best regards Plum

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

Mine were fussy with most anything for the first 500 rounds or so. Now they will gobble anything. Federal AM was the first to really start running smoothly. Haven't been able to find any Winchester bulk lately to see if it will act up. Rem Goldies do fine except for the "dud" rate of 2-4 %. One thing to check is the top of the magazine where the round slides off into the chamber. Sometimes these are a little rough and need to be polished, smoothed off. Sometimes this is done during the break in; sometimes you have to help the magazine along. There is a thread on rimfirecentral.com that talks about it. Search on the Browning forum. The BMs are great pistols. You have to be careful or you catch the fever very badly. I now have a Challenger II and a Medalist to keep my Camo Camper company since I gave my black camper to my son for his birthday. They love company and seem to misbehave when by themselves. DF :)

8. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I own two buckmark .22's. The only ammo they will not cycle is the Aguila subsonic loads. They cycle the Remington subsonic ammo very nicely. Needless to say, they cycle every manufacturers full load ammo. You should not have any problems with Federal ammo.
    If you need a permit to own a pistol, then it is time to move. IMO

9. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

I don't know why, but I was off from shooting for 4 weeks, both Rugers which fired Federal, no problem were having all kinds of issues. These guns are cleaned and oiled after every trip. Got some Windchesters, used those until I went through the brick. For the heck of it put the Federal back in--no problems?? Maybe your Buckmark just needs a temporary diet change, like my MKs.