The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone share a bad experience with me so I thought I'd pass it on.

Prior to the last election a lot of people bought huge amounts of ammo. Yes, I also bought more than normal... Other than taking up space and having to keep it dry, it isn't much of an issue. I also reload and have thousands of primers of varying sized and the powder for reloading. Certainly not a problem either - unless you have a house fire!

When the above referenced person had a house fire he told the firemen that a certain corner of the house had his ammo and loading supplies. They asked how much ammo and he told them several thousand rounds. HUGE mistake. They backed off from the building and let it burn. All they would do is keep it from spreading and the house was consumed. The uninformed firemen thought the ammo supply would go off all at once, like a bomb.

Never, ever, under any circumstances tell a responding fireman or police officer about your ammo and supplies. If you do there is a good chance that they will back off and let your house burn to the ground. We shooters know that ammo in a fire sort of pops like popcorn. Yes the casings can go flying but great injury isn't likely. They may wonder about the popping sound if my house burns, but I'm keeping my mouth shut. I want as much stuff saved as possible and their water may keep the ammo cans cool enough not to do any harm. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
17,480 Posts
By the time the fire department gets there usually lots of fire and smoke damage has already occured and after they pour gallons of water in there, there usually isn't much left that is worth saving. May as well just let it burn down i guess.

·
Premium Member
17,480 Posts
Mine is a ranch, so hopefully them might save one end of it.... The station is only a couple of miles away.
Sounds like we have the same setup. We have a ranch and the fire department is pretty close. I guess it depends on how fast someone reports it. All my ammo and reloading stuff is in the basement.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That is about the same that happened to me. I only had about 5000 rounds between 9mm, 45ACP, 7.62x39 and 12 gauge along with 8 pounds of 800x and 1000 primers. Several of them actually dropped a hose and walked away saying let it burn. I picked up a hose and pretty much saved the detached workshop with 2 car garage with an apartment above it.

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
By the time the fire department gets there usually lots of fire and smoke damage has already occured and after they pour gallons of water in there, there usually isn't much left that is worth saving. May as well just let it burn down i guess.
Yep, like totaling a car. Sometimes if it's broke bad, you don't want it fixed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually buy ammo a 1,000 rounds at a time. It is cheaper and it makes the shipping less than several smaller orders. Being older means I don't necessarily spend much time counting so whether due to feeble thought or sub-conscious desire I ended up with a lot of Lake City and Israeli rifle ammo. Now there are too many rounds to count but at least I'll never run out in this lifetime. Willing to wager I'm not alone in that. At least I'm not the guy with over a million rounds of ammo stored on pallets in his garage (he is a friend who lives in Virginia). lol

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
There's a good video floating around firemen need to see. The only "bombs" I have in my shop are GI ammo cans with handloads inside (If a fire was hot enough and long enough, a round or two many "cook off" and the sealed can burst), but my components will just burn...

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is another video out there in YouTube land. An semi trailer was used, loaded with about 1/4 million rounds of ammo of all calibers available to us civilians. It was then set ablaze (O the horror of watching 250,000+ rounds burn) and after a bit a guy wearing firemans gear stepped in front of the open doors and stood there while rounds cooked off.
He said he felt several things hit him but nothing penetrated his gear.

That video should be required viewing in every fire department in the country.

·
Super Moderator
39,084 Posts
There is another video out there in YouTube land. An semi trailer was used, loaded with about 1/4 million rounds of ammo of all calibers available to us civilians. It was then set ablaze (O the horror of watching 250,000+ rounds burn) and after a bit a guy wearing firemans gear stepped in front of the open doors and stood there while rounds cooked off.
He said he felt several things hit him but nothing penetrated his gear.

That video should be required viewing in every fire department in the country.
That is the exact video that mikld posted right above yours!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yea for some reason I was seeing the clip of the guy standing behind the burning trailer and hooked on the title of the video that was reposted by someone else so when I found it I did not double check what was already posted.

Feel free to "poof" that and this post to save server space. My apologies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts