1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice if they'd explain a little better--"increasing cost to manufacture", leaves us wondering what's driving it. Also, the % varies for different categories. Sorry, but I am becoming more and more skeptical about all things these days. (Biden?)

·
Premium Member
19,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice if they'd explain a little better--"increasing cost to manufacture", leaves us wondering what's driving it. Also, the % varies for different categories. Sorry, but I am becoming more and more skeptical about all things these days. (Biden?)
I think this is the increase to the wholesalers. Naturally, they will pass this increase on to the retailers who will increase it also. Then the Democrats will want to tax it even more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is precisely why preppers stockpiling ammo is way too stigmatized, it's not about insane militia crap for 99% of preppers nor is it something that should scare people. I have the stockpile to sell some, shoot for fun/training, use for hunting/slaughter, continue reloading operations, protect my home/property, and still be well off enough to avoid having to purchase (ie during a temporary price hike like this) even it lasts in excess of a few years.

When people talk about preppers bartering or trading ammunition, that shouldn't be something that's reserved until after some sort of doomsday. Average prices of ammunition fluctuate just like stocks, it just makes sense it's just smart to buy low then sell high. It just happens that buying in bulk tends to be cheaper — and when the price goes up, you make more return.

Aside from that, just simple supplies for when supplies are generally unavailable. This is why I have N95s, hand sanitizer, antiseptics — this is stuff I've had for years, and it's not like I went out splerged when I realized crap was going to get expensive.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Erik8181 Nails it. (Welcome to TFF by the way.)

It is about being prepared.

My friends and Buddies learned a valuable lesson on the last ammo shortage, when I declined to sell any of mine. (which they wanted to pay what I had paid for it, not what it would take to replace.) 🤔

When we would go to a Gun show, they would buy the latest greatest new Firearm. I was quietly purchasing Ammunition for what I had or Magazines for the same. I kept offering advice which was ignored. Well, they learned that I pretty much knew what I was talking about last time around.

These are the same Guy's who will stand there and blow through an enourmous amount of rounds at a time, in an afternoon. I just shake my head. I shoot enough to maintain proficiency, not just blow through ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Supply and demand has been around forever , not sure how anyone in the shooting world did not see this coming . They also announce it when supplies are very limited , that tactic has been around forever also .

·
Registered
34 Posts
The manufacturers are trying to "make hay while the sun shines". Assuming that the next 4 years will not be friendly to gun owners, I would anticipate that, over time, as anti-gun laws and policies proliferate, there will be a trend towards less gun ownership and gun-usage. If that is true, and given the ammo hoarding that has already occurred, people will be buying less and less ammo in the future. Ammo manufacturers are hedging their bets by increasing their profits now, while they can, before the bottom drops out of their market.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Since December 1st (+/-) fuel prices have increased significantly in my area. Grocery prices are on the rise. Haven't been able to afford to purchase anything else. I think that maybe political environment may have manufacturers/suppliers worried.

·
Premium Member
12,240 Posts
Old news, as the concept of being prepared is old....thinking of the 5 who brought extra oil for their lamps. 5 didn't....and whined.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Joe45c - "Tax increase on Ammo and Firearms." (?)

You are going to be lucky if you are "Allowed" to purchase either.

(Plus) If they Ban all Online sales for both (as they have stated they plan on doing,) and nothing is available locally, what are you going to do? I'll tell you what you are going to do - Go without.

·
Premium Member
17,853 Posts
(Plus) If they Ban all Online sales for both (as they have stated they plan on doing,) and nothing is available locally, what are you going to do? I'll tell you what you are going to do - Go without.
Not for about 5 or 6 years. That's about when my supplies will start to run out.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Was that from the manufacturers or from gougers?
Both, manufactures are not immune from taking advantage of the current situation as well as the usual gougers.

The good news for me and the rest of the prepared shooter community is that I dont need anything, guns or ammo. I am still adding a little here and there if I find a good price, getting tougher everyday.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well Joe, your need of both - may increase exponentially over the next few years. Just Saying.

I am with you though. I do not need to purchase much of anything. (Do to prior Pre-planning.)

Simply provoking discussion here, and elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Guns are no good without ammo. Since the liberal anti-gunners have had little or no success in outright banning of guns, they are doing the next best thing, causing the price of components to increase so as to make ammo more expensive. Then, an anti-gun POTUS & his minions with the support of a Congressional majority will push through punitive taxes to hopefully make the cost of ammo so prohibitive that people will stop purchasing it. The typical knee-jerk reaction of the libs completely omits the logic that bad guys mostly don't load there own & stealing guns & ammo isn't affected by taxes or selling prices. As usual, these Draconian feel-good practices simply punish the law abiding citizens. What else is new?

·
Premium Member
19,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shooting will be slowing down at my club soon. A few months ago they raised the price of shotgun ammo to $8 a box. It's going fast. My son is a director at our club so he gets all the inside information. Some of the members were trying to buy the club stock in bulk. They had to put an end to that. Now you can only buy 2 boxes at a time. If you want to shoot 4 rounds you can only buy 2 at a time.

At any point, we will be out of ammo if they can't find more in a few weeks. We only sell shotgun shells no rifle or pistol ammo. We never had this problem with any of the other shortages. You could always find shotgun shells.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts