The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Ruger Mark IV Hunter. Want to be sure I use ammo that is correct for the pistol. PLEASE RECOMMEND ammo that is the "right" for the Mark IV. Should I stay sub-sonic? Do I go Hyper-sonic? Does it matter? Virtually all my shooting will be at paper targets and no more than 50 yards; mostly at 25. I am trying to be careful that I do not use ammo that produces an overly aggressive slamming of the bolt rearward and forward. Feel free to recommend Brand and Velocity and what ammo to NOT use. ANY AND ALL comments from the TFF community will be appreciated. THANK YOU.

·
Premium Member
19,199 Posts
I don't think you will be able to hurt this with most any ammo. I would not recommend subsonic as it will not cycle the slide on my Mark III.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Su
I don't think you will be able to hurt this with most any ammo. I would not recommend subsonic as it will not cycle the slide on my Mark III.
gvw3, thank you. Suspicions confirmed. Being that the frame and bolt are made of Stainless Steel I should not have to be concerned about the violent movement of the bolt rearward and forward. Even from ammo that is rated at 1225 fps as is my favorite CCI ammo. Do you agree?

·
Premium Member
19,199 Posts
Yes. I use a lot of CCI ammo in my Mark III. I have use some Stingers when I can find them.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I use a lot of CCI ammo in my Mark III. I have use some Stingers when I can find them.
gvw2, don't know why but as you observed Stingers are increasingly difficult to find. The scarce 22 ammo is pretty much over but Stingers still not easy to find. For the present I have a good supply of my favorite CCI's but it will not last forever.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
I've been shooting Federal Auto Match out of a Mark III..

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
Broot, thanks for the tip.
It is actually reasonably accurate in all my 22's. Not quite match worthy, but not bad. Can beat the price and availability either.

My local dealer has a MK IV Target on the way for me. I'll have to see if quiets cycle it. Doubt it, but worth a try.

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Super Moderator
38,475 Posts
I was over at my LGS last week and he had a few of the Mk IV's in stock. He was selling them for $449.99, which I thought was a tad bit high. I ask him if Ruger made any that were threaded and he told me that the Lite could be had with threads but they were $469.99. I would love to have one but just a little high for my taste.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Your Ruger will safely cycle any reputable brand long rifle ammo. If you are looking for accuracy, my suggestion is to buy 50 round boxes of several different brands, velocities and bullet types and shoot them off a rest to determine which shoots most accurately in your pistol. I have a Mark II that will cycle anything, but some ammo prints better than others. Mine prefers standard velocity ammo. Yours will probably like some things better than others. But heck, you get to shoot a lot to find out.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
I was over at my LGS last week and he had a few of the Mk IV's in stock. He was selling them for $449.99, which I thought was a tad bit high. I ask him if Ruger made any that were threaded and he told me that the Lite could be had with threads but they were $469.99. I would love to have one but just a little high for my taste.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/ruger/43909-mark-iv-22-45-lite-bronze-anodized-10rd/ $438. The cheaper version seems to be out of stock.

Do you have any other small dealers in the area? Tombstone had the MK IV Target for $390. My local guy is getting it to me for $400 (saves $20 transfer fee). Still tax on top though

·
Super Moderator
38,475 Posts
Do you have any other small dealers in the area? Tombstone had the MK IV Target for $390. My local guy is getting it to me for $400 (saves $20 transfer fee). Still tax on top though
My Local Gun Shop is a small dealer and as I said, he is asking $470 for the threaded Lite. I know that he will let me have it for less once I am serious about buying it. I will trade my Mark III 22/45 in as part of the payment when it comes down to it.

I have a little better than half that put back into my "emergency" stash. This is blasphemy, but another gun is not exactly what I consider an emergency.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,249 Posts
My Local Gun Shop is a small dealer and as I said, he is asking $470 for the threaded Lite. I know that he will let me have it for less once I am serious about buying it.
We have a few in our area and the others aren't as reasonable on pricing :D

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your Ruger will safely cycle any reputable brand long rifle ammo. If you are looking for accuracy, my suggestion is to buy 50 round boxes of several different brands, velocities and bullet types and shoot them off a rest to determine which shoots most accurately in your pistol. I have a Mark II that will cycle anything, but some ammo prints better than others. Mine prefers standard velocity ammo. Yours will probably like some things better than others. But heck, you get to shoot a lot to find out.
jwdurf, I will go out tomorrow and start buying several boxes as you suggested and give each on a try. Will keep a log and copy of targets shot with each ammo box to see which "prints" the best. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as any brand/type to avoid, I would contact Ruger in addition to reading the owners manuel to see if there is anything they state not to use.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
As has been stated use what works best in your example, your not going to hurt it. CCI stuff has always given good results for me. FYI CCI and Winchester have 45 grain subsonic rounds that function well in all my auto 22lrs if the lighter subsonic prove unreliable in your pistol.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As has been stated use what works best in your example, your not going to hurt it. CCI stuff has always given good results for me. FYI CCI and Winchester have 45 grain subsonic rounds that function well in all my auto 22lrs if the lighter subsonic prove unreliable in your pistol.
Thank you. I tend to go with CCI in anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts