The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys think our ammo shortage is not recovering because the Guberment purchase of the 1.6 billion rounds? Has the ammo factories made the Guberment their first priority?

Deacon

·
Registered
453 Posts
This ammo shortage has almost nothing to do with the Government buying up all that ammunition. It has everything to do with all the panic buying resulting from all the talk and bills being pushed down our throats trying to restrict our rights. I bet the government buys ammo like that all the time, once a year or something.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yep it's the panic buying public. The corporations see a way to get your wallet out and make record profits.And just like fuel prices they jack it up now, keep it high and then never take it back down to where it was. everybody is happy but dont know how they are getting screwed. It's just lower than it was, and the manufacturer makes a mint .

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I think the primer shortage has everything to do with Government buying. They are buying hundreds of millions of pistol caliber rounds and most are 9mm and 40 smith. Both of those use small pistol primers so that impacts both loaded ammo and primers.

The major supplier of all this ammo is Winchester so all their primer production is going to the Gov't contracts. When was the last time you saw Winchester small pistol primers for sale on-line or in LGS? CCI primers are to be found every now and them, but Winchester's have completely disappeared. That's because they are being used in loaded ammo for the Gov't.

Winchester primers are a large supplier (maybe 30 - 40% market share) to the primer market and when their production is diverted exclusively to Gov't needs the public market is left short. The other primer producers like CCI, Federal, Remington, S&B, Tula, etc can't keep up with the demand.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
all the sheep that own guns.. but don't keep a box of ammo on the shelf and only buy a box onthe day they go to the range or go hunting suddenly had their eyes opened that they need to keep a stash. and now the entire flock is building their stash, way overloading the normal supply chain.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Do any of you guys think our ammo shortage is not recovering because the Guberment purchase of the 1.6 billion rounds? Has the ammo factories made the Guberment their first priority?

Deacon
Nope. Nothing to do with their purchases.
Panic and paranoia among ourselves....yep.

Personally, no shortage.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I don't think it is so much the Govt's contracts drying up the civilian market. They buy oodles and gobs of the stuff all of the time. It's panic buying.

A bunch of you guys nailed it, but I think Soundguy put a sharp point on it: The folks who buy ammo for the day at the range vs. people who have a reasonable supply on hand all the time. A minimum requirement is a 'basic load' for each and every caliber, and is about how much ammo you can reasonably pack along with the weapon and water and walk a few miles. But that is just the humble opinion of an old guy.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
yep.. I can't imagine not having a few boxes of ammo of each caliber , ie.. as you said.

enough to feed your selected gun reasonably well if you had to tote it and a backpack and make a bug out / etc...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think the primer shortage has everything to do with Government buying. They are buying hundreds of millions of pistol caliber rounds and most are 9mm and 40 smith. Both of those use small pistol primers so that impacts both loaded ammo and primers.

The major supplier of all this ammo is Winchester so all their primer production is going to the Gov't contracts. When was the last time you saw Winchester small pistol primers for sale on-line or in LGS? CCI primers are to be found every now and them, but Winchester's have completely disappeared. That's because they are being used in loaded ammo for the Gov't.

Winchester primers are a large supplier (maybe 30 - 40% market share) to the primer market and when their production is diverted exclusively to Gov't needs the public market is left short. The other primer producers like CCI, Federal, Remington, S&B, Tula, etc can't keep up with the demand.
I bought 2000 Winchester small pistol primers this afternoon. Could have bought 10 X that. Paid more that I thought I should have at $45.99.

kevinh

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

The other primer producers like CCI, Federal, Remington, S&B, Tula, etc can't keep up with the demand.
The government buys ammo all the time, paranoia has settled insofar that people are blaming the government for the ammo shortage...I am angry with the current administration but its not sucking up all the ammo.
Its this thought process in itself that is driving the minds of gun owners over a cliff with foolish buying habits. Much like finances you should have a contingency for dry spells. Just because people cannot get ammo or reloading components NOW they look for someone else to blame besides themselves due to lack of preplanning

Demand for ammo is through the roof....fact
The demand for primers to make the ammo is in equally high demand, guess who recieves primers long before the reloaders?

Rest easy, things will come back soon.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Last week...at the local re-loaders bench....
getting pretty pricey !!!
I may back off for a while to see if things stabilize.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
i won't pay 45$ for a box.

them S&B used to be 25$

wolf/tula used to be 20$

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
i won't pay 45$ for a box.

them S&B used to be 25$

wolf/tula used to be 20$
That's what I'm saying......getting pricey.
$31.99 for the friggin' Federal's.....
and I hate the way the Fed's are packaged......

·
Registered
358 Posts
THANK YOU OZO, The federal packing is just dumb. There is no way that i've found to place primers in the try without tweezers, or on your knees in the carpet. That being said... I bought 1000 of them last week. No choice for LPP

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I was in a Wal-Mart store this morning looking for (not ammo) other things and made a trip through sporting goods. There was no pistol ammo, no .22RF ammo, they had one box of 22-250, two boxes of .270s, a few boxes of shotgun shells, and nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
28,080 Posts
It's not guberment orders that create the shortages, it's panic buying. It's not only affecting components but tooling as well. There is a member here looking for 9mm dies and can't find any. If it was the gov. orders, the tooling wouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think its everything! Long drawn out war and troops using several million rounds a week, panic buying (myself included), Govt. spending our tax money on several, several million rounds. I would love to have stock in some of these companies,lol I think everyone should stop, take a breath and relax for a few weeks. I think everything is going to slow down soon just for the fact no one has ammo, whats the point of buying a gun if you cant get ammo for it. I cant believe there isnt any foreign manufactures making much of this stuff. Someone posted in here before, U.S. Military 1st, Govt. and L.E. 2nd then private.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts