The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
9,108 Posts
If store bought in the containers they were shipped or packaged, reloads I store loose in ammo cans or plastic Tupperware type containers that have a rubber seal. When I go to the range I just put them in plastic ammo boxes .

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Loaded centerfire ammo by me is stored in MTM ammo boxes and the ammo boxes are stored in U.S. military surplus ammo cans of various sizes with desiccant in the ammo cans. I also store my gunpowders, primers, bullets and virgin or shot and resized cartridge cases in U.S. ammo cans with desiccant in them. All the ammo cans are labeled as to their contents.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Largely MTM or that type plastic box in 20, 50 or 100 round count. Rifles are mostly 20 or 50, revolvers are 50 or 100. Semi-auto ammo is in the factory container as are shotshells.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If and when I buy factory ammunition, I leave it in it's original packaging. I keep it in my garage which stays between 70 and 85 degrees year round. I load the bulk of my ammunition and store them in zip lock bags with moisture Dessicant packs. Each bag of ammo has an ID tag.
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Pattern

·
Premium Member
22,396 Posts
I keep almost all of my reloaded ammo in the original boxes it came in from the factory. back in the early 80s i didn't reload for all the calibers i owned but i saved the boxes and the brass, so i still use those boxes. All other reloaded ammo is in green boxes, All the 22 ammo is in it's original boxes, except for the rounds my wife keeps finding in between the couch cushions.:oops:

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Most of mine are stored in 50 cal steel ammo cans in original boxes or plastic MTM boxes. I have over 250 MTM plastic boxes in 50 and 100 count, I buy them on sale usually from Natchez and scored about 60 of them used for .50 each. I also have a several 50 cal MTM plastic cans. I don't use any desiccant packs in any of them but they are in a temp controlled environment.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Desiccant can purchased from Grainger or ULINE. I get the clear silica glass beads as when they are totally clear they have no moisture absorbed. When or if they turn opaque they need to be recharged by spreading the beads on a lager cookie sheet and in the eletric oven at 125°F-150°F for about an hour or until they are clear again. My loading equipment I keep in a 25 gallon Rubbermaid tote with a rubber gasket with several glass spice jars with hole drill into the screw on cap filled with desiccant. The ammo cans have 2.5”x4” heavy mill ziplock bags with holes in the bags filled with desiccant as the bags take up less space.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I keep the ammo in the proper boxes to make it easy to identify.
The exception is a bottle of .22's (pill or vitamin) that sits in my handgun cabinet.
Slides into my pocket for some impromptu plinking.
I live on 5 acres so plinking is out my door to a rimfire target.
The new economy has me doing a lot more plinking lately.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I store my ammo in the boxes it came in. Or spam can it came in.
I have enough that I keep it out in the barn in case of a house fire. In my county, the fire dept will back off and let the house burn if more than a few rounds cook off. It happened to a man that lives not far from me.
Some is in USGI ammo cans, but frankly I also have a 5 drawer filing cabinet full. And an old kitchen wall cabinet saved from a remodel job.
I haven't had to worry about ammo availability in stores since Obama first took office.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Except for 223/556 which are in food saver bags mostly, my reloads go entirely into "primo" factory boxes stuffed tight in 50 caliber ammo cans, what I mean by primo is different manufacturers look at the storage or interstices differently. Sellier and Bellot and PMC are good (small) ones, Fiochhi is pretty good, Blazer, Federal and most others run in the huge category, factory boxes from Midway plumb stink. The guys at the shooting range laugh at me for dumpster diving!
I did a count/comparison once I think it was with 9mm packed into a 50 cal can (w/a descant always, I even wear nitriles to keep my skin oil off the nice clean brass to reduce the tarnish), bear in mind it's been a while, but the results went something like the "Bummer Boxes" two, to three of the "primo boxes", I think the numbers looked like 900 versus 1250.
Space is a commodity! :)

I just ain't got nothin better to do!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I keep mine in their original boxes, stored in a secured cabinet with desiccant canisters.

Reactions: Gudaki

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I keep my factory ammo & reloads in factory boxes sealed inside steel ammo cans with desiccant packs on top.
The reloads I repack in clean factory boxes I pick up from the range. I relabel them to the caliber, weight of round, type of round, weight & powder used, primer used, & date loaded.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts