The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
TFF Chaplain
23,143 Posts
The only factory ammo I have is .22's. I get SGS Magazine in cans of 500 that I decant into empty CCI boxes of 100 each. Everything else I reload and keep in plastic boxes of 50.

Police have told me how many rounds of each caliber I can have on hand. 3 k .22's, 600 each of .223, .243, and .357. I forget how many .45-70 I can have on hand. It's on my license.

Shotgun shells are in their original packaging.

·
Premium Member
22,396 Posts
The only factory ammo I have is .22's. I get SGS Magazine in cans of 500 that I decant into empty CCI boxes of 100 each. Everything else I reload and keep in plastic boxes of 50.

Police have told me how many rounds of each caliber I can have on hand. 3 k .22's, 600 each of .223, .243, and .357. I forget how many .45-70 I can have on hand. It's on my license.

Shotgun shells are in their original packaging.
So sad. How much more harm could you cause if you had 601 rounds of .223, .243 or .357:(.

·
Deer Stalker
6,643 Posts
Life was so simple before I started hand loads in 2014. Everything was in original packaging.
Today,,,how I store it now depends on what stage of load development I'm at with any given cartridge of the 19 different types I reload for now.

I really love the MTM Ammo storage system for smaller caliber rifle and pistol.

My development loads, primers, etc are in a cupboard with individual boxes (lots of notes in my reloading manual, so I can remember where I was a year ago, and what the rifle/pistols likes)

My other 3 locations carry "Everything else specialty loads" from 25ACP ammo to 38-55 BP/ Smokeless, to 45-70 BP /smokeless, and shotgun ammo. Kinda covered in these 3 cabinets but there is a lot more than shown. I'm close to 15,000 rounds of 19 calibers, from 22 High Power to 45-70. Not all ammo is shown. 25% is in the SHTF fall out shelter
My most rounds stored is .223 (3000 rds, rookie level) My least stored is 22 HP (50 rds., but hey, its a 1915 Cartridge!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use MTM clear or blue see-thru ammo boxes. I bought a bunch of Uline wide mouth clear plastic jars, for .223, 9mm, and .38spl. A piece of paper w/caliber, bullet, powder, Stoney Point OAL depth.
In the case of 9mm a taper crimp of .003" is added. 6.5crdmr, .25-06, are in MTM boxes(I found the Cabela's brand similar to the MTM to be flimsy and hinges broke when I dropped one on the linoleum tile floor.) Since, I have several rifle of the same caliber I seat to the most conservative depth and use that for all of the rifles.
For me, rimmed cartridges get a roll crimp, straight wall pistol and .45-70 a tapered crimp, and bottle neck cases - .223, 5.56, 6.5, and .25-06 are never crimped. The LC brass for the AR provides enough neck tension to hold the bullets in place. All others are bolt rifles, and again crimping is not an issue. My experiment w/crimp vs. no crimp on the 5.56, showed me that crimping was detriment to accuracy.
I do not have any factory boxes. Those boxes fell apart 25 years ago from over use. Actually, when I reload now, I usually load 50 for the MTM boxes, and 75 of .223 for the Uline plastic jars. Typically, about 300 5.56 are done at a time and I fill 4 of the Uline jars.
If I'm loading 12ga, they go into a 2 or 5 gallon bucket. The 5 gallon bucket only get filled half way.
Clays or 700x, 1-1/8oz shot, at 1150 to 1170fps is fine for trap or sporting clays.

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
With the exception of my ready ammo in my bedroom closet my reloaded ammo is mostly in several .50 cal ammo cans. my charged speed loaders and the 2 .38s are in my bed side drawer.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts