Ammo Supply

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 45nut, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

You know all is well when after taking stock you start giggling uncontrollably, have an adult beverage and go outside and fire up a menthol with a strike anywhere match!

chaswea, Ron Morrow, jwdurf and 8 others like this.
  2. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

My formula for centerfire ammo is X + 100, where X is ammo I have on hand. For rimfire it is X + 500.

chaswea, Limbo Jimbo, Gudaki and 3 others like this.

3. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

I got plenty & I reload as much as I want.

Hovannes, chaswea, jwdurf and 8 others like this.
  4. 9026543

9026543 Well-Known Member

Is 3,000 rounds of 223 and 2,000 rounds of 9mm plus 2,000 rounds of 380 enough for this time? If not I still have enough components for another round of reloading>

5. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It is a good start, but where is the 45 ACP, 40, and 10MM?
    While you at it might stock an extra barrel for the AR.

Larry

6. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Good formula. Mine is not so exacting.
    It is more of, is there a spot on the shelf for more? (each caliber has it's own shelf).No, no worries. Yes, is there brass and components on the reloading shelf, for that caliber? Yes, start loading. No, why not? How did that happen?

I could probably get by never buying any ammo or components, ever again. Yet, when I find a deal, I buy.

I had never owned a .30-30. Got to thinking, how can any American call themselves a true American and never have owned a thutty-thutty? (whatever justification is needed)
    I started shopping. Took me a year and half to find the deal I wanted. By the time I had the rifle in possession, I had amassed 1000 rounds of ammo and components to load another 2000.

7. mikld

mikld Well-Known Member

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have an exact count of my ammo stash. I do know that I have a 5 gal. bucket stuffed with 22 lr bricks and about 20 single boxes. I have two large plastic Beer Nut jugs full of my "Just in Case" ammo, one 9mm and one 45 ACP, besides my "work ups" in 30 cal ammo cans (when looking for a load or just trying something different I'll load up a box of a specific load for trial). I have two sardine cans for my AK and only about 300 rounds for my Garand. Misc. handloads, mebbe 200-300. Factory fodder mebbe 100. I've never been one to count anything, components, guns or pennies...

8. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

A gun is just a decoration without ammo.
    I'd like to own one of every caliber. But, I won't own a caliber without laying in a substantial round count supply.
    I've got over $1000 in Cabela's points. I really want a SA M1A1. Would still take several hundred on top of my points, but I could swing it.
    I haven't done it as I do not currently own a .308 and a substantial supply of it isn't going to come cheap.
    Also, It would be my only .308, and another thumb rule I have is not to lay in a significant supply of a caliber without having more than 1 gun that can shoot it.

chaswea, Limbo Jimbo, mikld and 4 others like this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a good stash. Enought to handle my end of this revolution.

chaswea, Limbo Jimbo, mikld and 6 others like this.
  10. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

It was a comfort and joy to feel "safe" in these troubling times.

11. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

It's enough for air rifles and pistols. But in my neck of the woods its at most a trip maybe two to the range. Now this applies if X is only 2 but if its more like 250,000 or more you are goooood to go. I know my stash is enough to hurt a small 3rd world country.

12. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

My formula is as follows, when X = number of rounds in storage I think I need and X + 1 is how many I actually have, I need more rounds

13. Gudaki

Gudaki Well-Known Member

My formula for ammo is to have so much you could never count it. Is that too much or not enough?
    :machinegunner:

14. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Almost enough

15. Virginia Patriot

Virginia Patriot Well-Known Member

I believe that I have a good stash in each caliber that I have and I usually try to pick up some every trip into town. So, I guess my true formula is to always pick up some whenever I can, keeping in mind the amount of ammo I can safely stockpile.