The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still pretty much a newcomer to the world of recreational shooting. I just boguht an ar 15 and im wondering for sighting in and just general messing around purposes is there a difference between the cheap Ammo and the more expensive stuff?

Im by no means a sniper and if the biggest difference is about a 1/2 inch grouping at 100 yards then my problem would be more of the shooter than the ammo. I just want a good sighting in of the sights and to spend a lot of time firing my new toy without spending a fortune doing it.

Second question. I was also just given an SKS. with it I was given a box w 1000 rnds in it. When I took the rifle apart I learned that it has never been fired before. the serial number of the rifel dates back to 63/64. Judgeing by that and the box the ammo came in I assume the ammo was made back then too. Much like the Ar 15 abouve I want to go out and sight this SKS in and spend some time just shooting it. would that ammo be good for that or does it "spoil" after a while?

G

·
I just boguht an ar 15 and im wondering for sighting in and just general messing around purposes is there a difference between the cheap Ammo and the more expensive stuff?
Welcome to the board and to the shooting world.

Will cheaper ammo be better or worse. Every gun is different and likes different ammo. I personally don't run any steel case ammo in my AR but it is not your run of the mill AR either. For practice and plinking and getting to know your AR I would very much point you towards the cheaper ammo.

Second question. I was also just given an SKS. with it I was given a box w 1000 rnds in it. When I took the rifle apart I learned that it has never been fired before. the serial number of the rifel dates back to 63/64. Judgeing by that and the box the ammo came in I assume the ammo was made back then too. Much like the Ar 15 abouve I want to go out and sight this SKS in and spend some time just shooting it. would that ammo be good for that or does it "spoil" after a while?
This is a tougher question. Is the ammo is corrosive then it might go bad. I am still wishy washy on the whole corrosive ammo thing. If stored properly MOST ammo will out last many people. I would unbox some of the ammo and look at it. If it looks bad don't shoot it. Shoot if you don't know take it to a gun store and talk to them and ask them if it is good or bad.

I would snap off a few pictures of the ammo and post them up on here and someone will tell you exactly (Well close to exactly) what it is and how good it is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts