The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed instruction video from mixup98 on disassembly of early release AMT back up. Not familiar with this model but am mechanically inclined. Attempting to troubleshoot jamming issue, which I have found with research is likely use of hollow point ammo. Anyway bolt is very tight fit in frame, looked much easier in mixup98 video. When bolt did release, ejector, firing pin and springs all came out. Wondering if some light filing should be attempted to ease fit of bolt in frame and if loose retaining pin of ejector should be overlooked, will stay together once reassembled I assume. BTW, magazine is aftermarket, original lost by previous owner who bought.380 back up new around 1979. Guessing on jamming issue that full jacket shells will correct problem ( suggested by mixup98 that AMT discouraged use of hollow point in back up). Any input appreciated. smithrlaw.

· Registered
191 Posts
Right, AMT (and OMC before them) recommended FMJ. Having said that, magazines are right at the top of the "usual suspects" list.
My technical skills are quite limited, but I found an article from 1987 you might find f interest. I'll try to attach it.
Hairstyle Photograph Newspaper Publication Black

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Font
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Font

· Registered
262 Posts
Years ago I acquired the AMT 380 Backup. First time I used that TulaAmmo, the firing pin broke. I won't use that steel cased Russian ammo ever again. Whenever I am at the range and hear overly loud reports, see excessive muzzle flash and smell burning hair, I find someone nearby is using this brand of ammo. I did send away for a new firing pin and the AMT .380 works great.

· Registered
19,160 Posts
My amt feeds round nose fine.. that used to be fmj.. but is now lrn. I do have the original mag.. many guns are finicky with odd mags.. and you always have to look at the feed ramp. Some guns just don't like anything but ball ammo.... for those.. you need to find a rnhp

· Registered
13 Posts
I can only relate my personal experience with an AMT 380. I carried one as a secondary weapon, occasionally in an ankle holster and otherwise nestled in my briefcase. The 380 Auto cartridge was one of the five cartridges approved by my agency for such purpose. These secondary weapons required prior approval by our range master subject to his examination and testing. I also had to do an additional "limited qualification" with it during our quarterly mandated regular quals. I don't recall exactly, but I was probably putting forty to fifty rounds through it each quarter. It never failed to feed or fire. However, we range fired such weapons only at close range for demonstration of familiarity and reasonable accessibility from holster chosen. SO accuracy was not a primary consideration, Yet, it literally was a backup for me and if I had any suggestion that it might fail me, I would never have carried it. I liked the gun, particularly because of its compact dimensions. I don't recall anything similar available in those years and it certainly worked for me. As to cleaning, I only did normal 'field' cleanings and never had any performance suggestion that more was required. Ah memories...
My take.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts