The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this used AMT the other day at Cabelas. It appears to be in good condition. Has a few scratches on it. I’m having difficulty finding how much they’re worth. And how rare are they?They want $1499 for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't know much at all about them or how reliable they were in that AMT. What I do know is that it will be load - very load. Ask anyone who ever owned a Ruger single action in .30 Carbine.

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
They call those amt 30's "flame throwers". Go fire one at night or dusk... Impressive fireball. That's more than I paid for mine..but I bought mine back when Acadia machinery and tool were still making guns.

·
Super Moderator
43,357 Posts
I can quote what the 2020 edition of The Standard Catalog of Firearms says about the Automag III
NIB $535
Exc $450
V.G. $340
Good $270
Fair $200

That is a far cry from $1499.

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
Don't confuse the Automag with AMT Automag II and Automag III. Completely different pistols. AMT used the name only. Value in the II and III are much less than the original Automag.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Not worth $1499. Cabela's can keep it.

*Just fully paid off my Cabelas Card yesterday, (Capitol One.) Promptly cut it up. 👍😁

Well..........................................................Bye.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I was thinking AMT was one of the first to make stainless handguns in quantity
And
First to have issues with galling
But I do want one in 22 mag!

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The auto mag pistols are a cool addition to any colection. Not $1500 cool though. They were not know for their reliability. Thats a $500 dollar pistol in my book. Not that my book is any source that carries any weight or authority. ;)

·
Registered
18,474 Posts
I have a large amount of amt guns.. A mag 2,3 4,5 a backup and a ongslide hardballer. All work fine. The a mag 5 went back for a hammer repair after a fracture on first shot..been fine since...fortunately...

Have an original 44amp Automags as well... Neat gun..if not unwieldy

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I agree with shootbrownelk with Cabela’s Gun Library prices being unrealistically over priced. A new built Cabela’s opened about four years ago north of Detroit. I went there to purchase two different gun powders (H322, N133) of which they only had one pound of H322 in stock after being told on the phone that they had both in stock. Anyway. I decided to look at their used firearms in the Gun Library and saw a used Remington 40XBR chambered in 234 Win. It was apparent that the rifle was well used as the bluing on the receiver was worn and the walnut stock had quite a few dings, dents and one obnoxious gouge, and when I looked at the chamber end of the barrel the erosion was bad enough to see, plus the muzzle shown ware to the lands from improper use of a cleaning rod and the barrel wasn’t even the original Remington barrel. They wanted $2,600. This sales guy walks up to me seeing what I’m looking over and asked if I was interested in purchasing it. I told him not for $2,600 and described all what was worn and damaged and that it didn’t have the original barrel which was severely worn out. He starts to extolling how well made those rifles are. I just put it back on the rack without saying anything else, paid for the gunpowder and left. Haven’t been back there since. Gander Mountain was just as bad for over priced used firearms.

·
Administrator
13,290 Posts
Gander Mountain was just as bad for over priced used firearms.
When I purchased my first Savage Mark II, I looked at GM first. Then I went 1 mile down the street to an LGS and bought one new for $100 less than GM. Over 25% less.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know much at all about them or how reliable they were in that AMT. What I do know is that it will be load - very load. Ask anyone who ever owned a Ruger single action in .30 Carbine.
... " it will be load , very load ." ... perhaps the word you mean is ... LOUD ... yeah ! Wear Hearing Protection with this one ... but they are fun to shoot .
I got mine in a South Louisiana Grocery /Gas / Gun /Bait & Tackle shop for $299 on the way down to Grand Isle , La. to do some salt water fishing ... about 1995 ... sweet buy even then .
Gary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts