An essay on revolvers

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sma11 Fry
    (9/9/02 6:06:55 pm)
    Reply An essay on revolvers...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello all, I am trying to dig up info for an essay on the history and origins of the revolver and I have not been able to find any resources. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Sma11_Fry

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/9/02 6:49:00 pm)
    Reply Re: An essay on revolvers...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi SmallFry.....Welcome to TFF.

Scroll to the bottom of this page, and in the Google box type "History of the revolver"....you'll get enough information to get your PHd.

Good luck.........

Edited by: Xracer at: 9/9/02 7:50:01 pm

Sma11 Fry
    (9/9/02 10:23:56 pm)
    Reply Thanks...
    Thanks xracer. I'll try that.

Sma11 Fry

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/10/02 11:15:08 pm)
    Reply Re: Thanks...
    ...one hint...

Do NOT believe the famous "On a trip home from England 'Dr.' Colt got the idea from watching a ships wheel" story for one second! But it DID make a good sales story....but not good enough, because he did go bankrupt after a few years.

Now he may WELL have carved that working model of his Patterson out of wood on that trip...

But while in Europe he most probably studied the various unsuccessful European revolver designs that had been around for years prior to his "revelation..."
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/11/02 5:03:15 pm)
    Polish....that wooden revolver that Sam supposedly carved on the ship is in the Colt Collection at the State Library in Hartford. Looks like sort of a 1/2 scale early Patterson.

www.cslib.org/coltarms.htm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/13/02 10:57:34 pm)
    Yeah I know X, and I kinda believe one version of the story I read somewhere where what he figured out from watching the wheel was the locking pawl used to secure it...where he got the idea for his indexing system...THAT makes sense...

But you can go to any library and look up dozens of old books titled "The History of Firearms" or whatever that say variations of the same story, something like "Returning penniless on a voyage from England, Dr. Samuel Colt got the idea for inventing the revolver from sitting on the deck watching the ships wheel and went on to become rich and famous..." or something like that.

Lots of them also even leave out the fact he went BROKE with his Pattersons...and actually was out of the handgun business altogether until Colonel Walker looked him up.

And that the Collier was the first "successful" "modern" revolver, a lot earlier, and a FLINTLOCK....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"