The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leave us suppose that you are not a law enforcement professional. Leave us further suppose that you routinely carry a gun. Someone that knows you just slightly discovers that you are wearing a gun.

They ask (I know they will ask this, because it has been asked of me), "Are you a cop?"

You tell them no. So then they ask the follow-up question. "Why do you carry a gun?"

What would you tell them?

I just repeat it back - "Because I carry a gun".

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I can't remember ever being asked. Outside of a few family members who already knew I'd grown up with guns and was heavily involved with them, the only folks I ever told were those from the home church I attended. But, they too knew of my history and never asked dumb questions like that. At work, only two knew that I know of. Both hunted and one had a permit but rarely if ever carried. I'd just as soon keep it to myself.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have only been asked that question once by a friend of a friend. I answered that it was my God given right to protect myself and my family and that I choose to carry a firearm for that purpose. The fact that I carry is nobodies business but mine and I keep that to myself and my wife. In my opinion, in todays world, you are crazy if you don't carry. JM2C

·
12,779 Posts
I have only been asked that question once by a friend of a friend. I answered that it was my God given right to protect myself and my family and that I choose to carry a firearm for that purpose. The fact that I carry is nobodies business but mine and I keep that to myself and my wife. In my opinion, in todays world, you are crazy if you don't carry. JM2C
If my Wife doesn't see me grab mine, she asks where it is.

·
Super Moderator
29,940 Posts
I can't say that I have ever been asked that by anyone that knows me.

I was asked, sarcastically, by another truck driver if I were a cowboy or something. My reply, "No, I work in collections and repossessions, how's your payment book looking"

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
If my Wife doesn't see me grab mine, she asks where it is.
My wife likewise is comforted by my guns in the house and in the car. I always have 2-3 either on me or quite close.

Why do I carry?

Well, when I asked my brother that question, he said, I can't fight anymore, or run anymore, so I carry a gun. He started carrying about 10 years before me and I thought I was the first. And no, we didn't talk about carry guns until a couple of years ago. I have only been carrying now for about 11 years and he started about 20 years ago.

My answer had been just about identical to my brother's answer.

When I was younger, even though I have never been in a real fight my entire life, I envisioned that I was a lot tougher than I now know I ever was. I suspect I would have started carrying much earlier except it wasn't until 11 years ago that I was able to get an Idaho permit as an out of state Californian. I lived in a county in CA that was not shall issue, and that meant only the rich, famous or connected folks got a permit.

So, my answer to why do I carry? Same as my brother's.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If they know it’s either someone I trust and they will not ask or my efforts to stay under the radar failed. I have only had one instance where a stranger saw my pistol print. A man in his mid thirties, he about wet himself, made a huge deal of it. I have since made greater effort to not scare the faint of heart. I do not make a habit of justifying my actions to others. If I had to it would be to ask if they wear a seatbelt, own a fire extinguisher or have any insurance.

·
Registered
480 Posts
let first state (best be sitting ) my neighbor that moved in about 2 years ago is from Newtown Connecticut and is a Newtown/ every town supporter and has called the sheriff on my multiple times because I was walking across the street to my friends house with a rifle...ect ect ect, now heres were it gets good I have on the north west side of my house extremely dark tint windows and on the reloading room I have mirrored reflective coating the only way you can see in the bed room is to cup your hands around you face right against the glass and even then the room is still dark.
well this woman called the sheriff and said I was making explosives (reloading ammo ) in my house said I had racist flags (Gadsden flag both yellow and American and confederate blend ) lucky the sherif new better from her multiple
complaints about me. the the cop showed up I let him showed him around and I said you go looked in my window and be honest... I ended up filing a peep-n-tom complaint against her and have not had an issue since.

be very careful what you say or do around people with all these red flag laws, Y'all need to remember its
QUILTY until you buy your innocence

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I had to it would be to ask if they wear a seatbelt, own a fire extinguisher or have any insurance.
Pretty much the same answer I would give. I have the right to protect myself while I'm driving, the right to protect my home from fire damage and the ability to insure the things I own. Are they not willing to protect what is important to them? I would try to steer the question back onto them in that manner.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
i live on "meth mountain" down the road is the pharmaceutical capital of the county. most everyone carries or has a gun or two in their vehicle. yet two neighbors have had gun related crimes against them in their homes. wife and i are 75 and walk like old people. i could hold a sign up when in town that says "VICTIM" but do not need to. get the picture? i do not tell anyone anything about carry. i shoot almost daily so neighbors know i own guns. wife calls me a grumpy old man that owns guns. if you try to explain why you have a gun you are talking to a half brick! just the way i feel about the whole thing.

rick

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was asked that by the cutest little 5 year old you have seen. Friend of granddaughter- I had agreed to take them out for ice cream, As I was putting my jacket on. little one noticed my Mdl 36 on my belt. "Why do you have a gun? Grand munchkin- also age 5, looked at her and said "Silly! because he's the grownup!" Oh- OK. Can we get sprinkles on our ice cream? Sure you can sweetheart.

·
Registered
584 Posts
"To defend you from evil doers such as....(insert litany of bad guys here)"
"That is the police's job." They'll reply.
"The police's job is to the catch bad guys, however bad guys have to first do something bad before the police can catch them. I refuse to allow bad guys to do something bad to you, or me and that's why I carry a gun."

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Duh! Because I can. Aside from being it one of my inalienable rights (said right of self preservation), I do not intend to be a willing victim of crime.

Reactions: mrhonda and flboots
1 - 20 of 57 Posts