The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

Registered
Why do people buy fire extinguishers.....................because I don't have a fire department next door.
I carry a firearm because it much easier than carrying a cop.
Remember when the seconds count & you have a gun to your head, the police are 15 to 20 minutes away.

Registered
"I carry a gun in my pocket so nobody has to carry me in a casket."
"Grenades are too expensive."
"Rifles too heavy to lug around."
"Couldn't fit the tank in the door."
"It ain't gonna carry itself"
"Kept hurting my shoulder throwing the bullets by hand"
"A gun! Now who could have put that in there?"
"Ran out of bananas for my chimp bodyguard"

So many options, I would probably just smile and continue minding my business though.

Registered
As I am fond of saying..."When seconds count, the cops are minutes away". This is not saying anything bad about the LEO's, it is just they are not always near you. I live in a rural area and it may be 15 to 20 minutes before a deputy could get here.

Premium Member
Because my family helped fight the British to give us what we have today, and I am willing to do the same.

Wow Virginia P, 15 to 20 that's all. That might be ( that's a big might) middle of a weekend day response. After 2am unless in a city we have NO coverage they ALL go to bed until 6am ish.

Registered
Why do people buy fire extinguishers.....................because I don't have a fire department next door.
When I was a kid we lived in a house across the street from the fire station. After we moved the new people had a fire, the firemen parked their cars in front of the house when they got fire calls. When they got the call on our old house they parked in front of the house as usual got suited up jumped in the truck, got the address from the dispatcher then had to jump out of the truck and move all of their cars so they could fight the fire. The house was a total loss.

Registered
When I was a kid we lived in a house across the street from the fire station. After we moved the new people had a fire, the firemen parked their cars in front of the house when they got fire calls. When they got the call on our old house they parked in front of the house as usual got suited up jumped in the truck, got the address from the dispatcher then had to jump out of the truck and move all of their cars so they could fight the fire. The house was a total loss.

You would think being firemen they would have smelled or seen the smoke before parking their cars. I take it was a volunteer fire dept. We have a few volunteer fire dept. that are better than the full time firefighters but there is one that's like that. We call them the foundation savers. LOL

Registered
The fire started in the wee hours of the night in the hallway, no smoke and flames coming out of the house yet when they parked. The place was built in the 1860s and it went up fast once the fire took hold. Could they have saved it if they hadn't parked their cars in front of it and then had to move them? Who knows. But the minutes lost sure didn't help any.

Reactions: tedwitt

Registered
At least your volunteer fire dept is not setting the fires. I was reading the Stars and Stripes small newspaper one morning while on duty driver in VN and saw my little community in Northern, NJ listed on a story. Two vol firefighters were setting the summer houses on fire during the winter months when things were slow. They finally were caught but I never did hear what the punishment was. Those two were in and out of trouble for all the years i knew them. Those were in the years before I ever heard of a Wal Mart. Back then the stores were known as F.W. Woolworth and were the early 5 & 10 cent stores.

Registered
I've been asked... I usually answer ' for any legal reason'.

That answer almost turned bad I think. Back decade or 2 ago.. My last speeding ticket.. Handed police my dl and ccw. Did the hands on the wheel, some lamp on.
Officer asked if there was a gun in the car. I answered yes. He asked where, I answered that it was in an iwb holster.
And then he asked me why I had a gun.
I said " any legal reason". He didn't like that. He was rude.. Maxed out the ticket and have fed me for a different answer. I finally fell back on " self defense". I never argued. Stayed calm, answered all questions posed. No attitude.
I hope he is no longer a Leo and got some anger management/control freak counseling....
Sadly... Many with badges are in a career that does not suit their personality.

Registered
I had a friend of the family ask that very same question a few years back while the family was on a hike in the woods. She is a very liberal type so I thought a minute and said, 鈥淚 carry a gun because I can. I use a gun only if there鈥檚 no other choice.鈥 She considered what I said and asked, 鈥淲hen would you ever need to use a gun?鈥 I looked around the woods and said, 鈥淚f a bear comes out and grabs you or one of the others.鈥 She looked at me a couple seconds and said, 鈥淲ell alright then.鈥 And it was never mentioned again.

Registered
I had a friend of the family ask that very same question a few years back while the family was on a hike in the woods. She is a very liberal type so I thought a minute and said, 鈥淚 carry a gun because I can. I use a gun only if there鈥檚 no other choice.鈥 She considered what I said and asked, 鈥淲hen would you ever need to use a gun?鈥 I looked around the woods and said, 鈥淚f a bear comes out and grabs you or one of the others.鈥 She looked at me a couple seconds and said, 鈥淲ell alright then.鈥 And it was never mentioned again.
Isn't it amazing how they cannot think that far ahead for themselves? Instead they have other images of "guns" dancing around in their heads, constantly being reinforced by the media and politicians bent on removing them from society. If they would just mature in their thinking, wait patiently, all the guns will all be turned into plows and shovels when our Lord returns since we won't need them any longer. But for now, we do. Maybe they could even find the way to improve their own lives and living rather than worrying about how everyone else lives in the meantime.

Registered
Woods..good point..reminds me of a camping trip a couple ys ago.

Me and 4 friends hiked out to a remote area near a lake. Hoped for some fishing. We picked a clear area..setup tents..made a fire ring..dug a latrine. It was winter but mild ( Florida... Though out of nowhere it dropped to 18 that weekend..go figure... ) . forestry service had issued bear notices in that area just that week. I carried a 44mag revolver. I felt it was a good compromise on power and ease of carry. One guy brought his dog. Good times.. Fishing.. Hiking.. Then got the fire going.. Got super cold.. So we sat around the fire bs'ing. By 10 it was too cold to stay outside.. ( we dressed for 50's as that was the weather forecast before the freak cold snap ). About 2am..dog goes crazy. We all had led lanterns and 2 way family radios. We all woke up at once and unzipped our tents to check the situation. We kinda expected a bear or hog... Was 2 drugged out people that walked right out of the stick and into the middle of our camp. I'm no drug expert..but due to body sores..teeth and gaunt frames..im guessing meth cookers.. And they probably had been out cooking.. Got stoned..woke up cold and started meandering thru the woods.. The went the opposite way.. And hit our camp instead of the road... Might a seen the fire.. Or just stoned and lost. Woman and a man. Not dressed for 18'.
Camping etiquette says you don't enter someone's site at night beyond emergency... So we immediately got suspicious. Guy was belligerent.. Wanted to fight.. We asked them to move on and leave our camp. The woman was quiet..and more coherent. The guy was juiced out of his mind. Kept babling about why we were there... We kept asking them to leave. Guy said something that made me know he was lost and perhaps dumb, liberal, and stoned.. He said.. You guys camped on the trail. We camped in a waist high thicket for miles around..and we found a hog Weller patch that was flat. There was no trail for about 4 miles the way we came. There were a few dirt forestry and fire roads..but by our GPS and map..closest was 2m away..opposite direction from where we came.
Guy got seriously weird.. Kept doing fake charges and stopping near tents then stepping back.. Reached into his pocket and palmed something small... None of us could see it..we all felt it was a small tool like a screwdriver or knife.. He was real shifty with it. This entire time I had my 44mag upholstered and hid by my side. We were all standing in our tent doorways... The guy was taking turns on who he would run at. Mentally I made the decision that I wasn't going g to be physically attacked at 2am in the freezing cold by some unknown dirty tool held by an addict.... When he started towards me I looked at the woman..who , again..looked way more competent than him... I told her quickly and calmly that they needed to leave before we had to defend ourselves.. My gun was about a second from being drawn as he covered closer... Maybe she saw me move or she saw the gun thru a gap in my flannel shirt..but she latched onto him stopping him and starting to drag him back..then she mentioned she didn't know where the trail was. In unison all of the campers mentioned a fire service road 2m the direction they came from..otherwise at least a few miles they way we came... They left after that..
Dang.... Thought I was going to have to shoot a tweaker on my vaca....
We stayed up about a half hour in near silence seeing if they would return.. Then went back into tents.. Almost 3am. For the next 2 hours I never slept..rested..but no sleep. I heard a noise at 5..poked my head out.. Another camper was up re stoking fire. 3 of the 5 of us were armed. This was another armed guy. I went out.. We sat by fire..he never slept again either. We stayed quiet.. Talking low by fire. By 7 the other 3 were up. We had coffee on and food warming.... Once up we all talked about the incident. I found out the other 2 armed campers also had reduced there guns and were seconds from deploying during the fake charges.
And here I thought I'd need protection from bear on our camp..... It's good to be armed.

Registered
I had a sister-in-law ask "do you always carry that thing? Half curious, half revulsion. After answering "yes," I got the follow up "why?" My answer is always a bit more pedestrian than the punchlines or 2a replies. My stock answer is "because it allows me to control my own environment." Generally, by the time that sinks in and is digested I've continued on my way which puts us about 200 yards apart.

-jb, ask a silly question ... get a philosophical answer

21 - 40 of 56 Posts