The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have asked this on other forums as im just trying to get as much info as possible

not sure if this is the right place, but i have read around and not got a solid answer as to how deadly a .22 rifle really is

now i know enough that you wouldn't want to use it as home defense, but i go to the desert often and racing events and bring it with me (rifle i bought at K-mart in early 90's) currently i have AR tactical copper plated 40 grain round nose bullets.

i hope i never have to but being a semi-auto how close would this gun have to be to stop a human??

again sorry if this is not the right place.

Attachments

·
Garandaholic
9,513 Posts
I'm sure the opinions on this will be all over the place, but my answer is the answer that so many questions get...."It depends"

Depends on where you hit a human with a .22 (or any caliber)

A .22 isn't very heavy and it's not traveling particularly fast. Therefore it's stopped by mass fairly well. Shoot center mass and hit a rib? That hurts like hell, but unless that bullet fragmented and a piece tore into a lung and punctured it, that's not a takedown, or even a slow down. Now, shoot someone in say, the throat with a .22 and that person is likely down.

As far as distance goes, obviously the closer the more energy imparted, but we're talking low energy here. At any range you need to hit a tender spot. If you look at some impact energy charts, I think it's losing about half at 50 yards. It'll travel a mile, but 100 yards is where I think you'll find the effective limit. As I said others will disagree, this is my 2 cents worth of personal experience.

·
Super Moderator
41,383 Posts
My Grandfather committed suicide using a .22LR cartridge. I don't remember which rifle he used but he shot himself in the chest. He was by himself when he did it so no one knows whether it was a quick or a slow death. A .22 will definitely kill a human.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Unload that tube magazine into someone they will stop. 14 rounds burning all at once their mind wont be on you for long.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Ahead shot will be an instant kill. Anything else won't be. If you're close enough it's possible he will still be able to take it away from you and beat you to death with it before he dies.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
I have a 10-22. I have a 25 round mag for it. I bet it would stop anyone.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That's a 50 rd mag in the 10/22. I bet I could stop a threat, or two, before I could empty it!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,781 Posts
I have a 10-22. I have a 25 round mag for it. I bet it would stop anyone.
I have that too, but living here in NY even my 10 round clip is illegal, so I better not miss too many of my 7 shots that I am allowed to have.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
I agree with JUNKING. Like U, I like Marlin 60's,they are the best!:):) Cliff
i got a couple of them 60's at home.

as the others said.

range? obviously shorter is better.

most ammo warns you that it will travel 1.5m

i've not taken too many range shots past 100.

can't imagine, in a normal setting, not including invasion by some other country, or a zombie pandemic, why you would have to shoot someone who wasnt within 'self defense distances though... and in those distances. consider it for sure lethal.

as others have said. where you hit counts. eyeball is alot different than pinkey nail.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I saw more people get killed with a .22lr when I was in law enforcement more than any other caliber.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I have that too, but living here in NY even my 10 round clip is illegal, so I better not miss too many of my 7 shots that I am allowed to have.
At least we can still have all the magazines we want loaded. Or, one fifty rounder and seven empty ten, loaded with 7, rounders for when Cuomo shows up!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Getting shot with anything is an attention getter. I have heard that it hurts. If all you have is a .22, shoot until they stop coming at you. Center of mass will be best. They can't fight if they can't breathe.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The question is: How quickly do you need to stop the human threat. I have studied this at length over the years. And there is currently a great article in the NRA magazine on it concerning the .22 magnum for self defense.
The short answer is that neither the .22LR nor the .22Mag has sufficient "knock down" capability to stop a threat cold.
But will very possibly incapacitate or kill the perp (given you have made a center mass torso hit) within a minute or two. At the very least provide a deterrent.
The moral is that the .22LR is a very lethal round that lack knock down power. The .22 LR solid point has sufficient energy to penetrate a human body. Then having expended much of this energy in doing so, lacks the energy to exit. What often occurs is that bullet having entered the chest cavity and passing through whatever organ it hits. Then hits the rib cage and either ricochets or fragments. Causing secondary organ damage that in conjunction with the initial organ damage will likely incapacitate or kill the perp EVENTUALLY. Usually within minutes. But the shot perp can possibly remain a threat for those minutes.
Also it is advisable to use SOLID POINT ammunition. Which provides your best chance at achieving chest penetration. Especially on heavy muscled or heavily clothed perps. .22 Hollow points are designed to fragment on IMPACT. Devastating on small game they are designed to kill. But possibly will not provide the PENETRATION needed for humans.

·
Registered
751 Posts
just place your shot.. used to shoot deer on my uncles farm with .22 short,,one shot right behind the ear and they dropped like a rock (usually only about 25 yards) they would come in at night with the milk cows to the salt licks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts