The Firearms Forum banner

Another ammo question

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  BobMcG 
#1 ·
What firearm would shoot 30-40 Krag ammo?

#2 · (Edited)
The Krag-jorgenson (M1892) mainly, built for the US military. there have been a few other rifles chambered for it though. My uncle has an old Krag, I still remember shooting for the first time off of his porch; I almost met the side of the house from the recoil. ( not that it has much recoil, I was 12 at the time :D )

#3 ·
Thanks Wooley, Good story, reminds me of the first time shooting a 12 ga. I weighed all of 60 lbs and was standing flat footed, good thing it was in the yard and not the driveway. It butt me on my butt real fast.

#4 ·
Yessir. The worm is correct. The 1892 Krag and its variances is the main one. Another I can think of is the winchester M1895 leveraction also was chambered for the krag round, as well as the 7.62X54R at one time.

#7 ·
About 20 years ago Browning went to Japan and Miroku for replicas of the Winchester lever guns. One they produced, among several different models, was the 1895. That Model got the 30-40 Krag. The gun was/is beautiful (I have one I bought from a collector that I shoot), deeply polished and blued. The inside surfaces are almost as nicely machined as the outer ones. It actually puts a real Winchester to shame for fit and finish.

LDBennett

#8 ·
Ill second that LD. I think Miroku makes better Winchesters than Winchester did. I had a Winchester 94 Classic in earlier this week. It was the nicest real winchester ive had in in a long while, The last winchester before it was a Miroku 94 Legacy, half round half octagon 26" barrel. It was a flawless winchester rifle.

#9 ·
JLA:

I have a Miroku Model 92 in 45LC, Model 53 in 32-20, several real winchester Model 94's (one is the NRA commemorative and the other is the 1994 commemorative)in 30-30, a real Winchester Model 71 in 348 (of course), a re-finished and re-chambered real winchester Model 92 in 357Mag (originally 32-20 as marked on the barrel), and a refinished re-barreled well used real Winchester 22 Pump (early version). So I have some guns with which to make comparisons. Miroku wins hands down. Now, the new 94's of the last couple years made by Miroku, have a toned down almost brushed blued finish that is closer to the original Winchester finish but I much prefer the way Browning had it done on the earlier Miroku clones. My Miroku's are GREAT guns!

LDBennett

#10 ·
I've owned a pair of rifles in.30-40 Krag for a long time now and really like the caliber. They used to see a lot more use than they do now but I'll likely never part with them anytime soon either. One, an 1899 Springfield carbine (1901), is in excellent condition and is a great shooter. The other, an 1895 Winchester (1914) is well broken in but is in excellent working order and is still a good shooter. The .30-40 Krag cartridge is between a .30-30 and a .308 in power, will handle a wide variety of bullet weights, and is good for most American game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.