Another Colorado school district allows staff to carry.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by One Shot, Dec 15, 2016.

1. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

3. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Better that a cop 15 minutes away

4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I'm wondering if the no gun ban has been lifted from these schools? Or they still gun free zones? I'm glad to see the folks waking up. The only way to stop a gunman is for someone else to have a gun also.

6. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

The federal (and unconstitutional) Gun Free School Zone act has an exception for CHL holders if the license is issued by the state which the school zone is in.

drymag, One Shot and Kweeksdraw like this.
  7. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

It makes me wonder though. When I'm travelling I'm carrying in states that recognize my MO permit. However due to the number of schools its nearly impossible to not be in a gun free zone several times a day when moving about a city. I guess this puts me in potential legal jeopardy?

carver, One Shot, Kweeksdraw and 2 others like this.
  8. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

Would breaking the gun down while in those areas suffice legally? I sometimes go to a military base and not even parts are allowed. So on days I go there, no gun. Same for work. I don't leave a gun in the vehicle as too many break ins and car thefts. I just love revolving doors of justice.

carver and One Shot like this.
  9. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Driving by on a street or highway doesn't count. You have to be on school property.

10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Good post! The local News Talking Heads have had their collective panties in a twist over this. Every station (even the local FOX affiliates) have been suggesting that Teachers are about to start blowing Little Johnny and Suzie away.

Funny how much words matter. They phrase the news talking points as if the School Districts are going to issue firearms from some sort of Armory - even to those Teachers who wish NOT to carry. Same thing like they did when Conceal Carry was on the ballot: "There will be shoot-outs on every street corner!" What a load of malarkey.

carver, drymag, One Shot and 2 others like this.
  11. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

It would in Denver. While Denver is (unfortunately) supposed to be a part of Colorado, and we have both Open Carry and Concealed Carry, it is my understanding that you're not even allowed to pass thru The People's Republic Of Denver with an AR locked in your trunk - even if you're just passing thru going to a shooting range or going hunting. I'm not a lawyer - this is just what a Gun Shop owner in Denver told me.

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Do they ask you if you have a gun? I carry mine on Fort Gordon every time I go there. I had to go get a new ID card last month and after I had been sitting there in the building for 15-20 minutes, for some reason I stuck my hand in my pocket and there it was. I did take a quick trip to my car to put it in the pocket, though, but being on an Army base sure doesn't stop me from carrying.

Conman, carver, drymag and 3 others like this.
  13. AaronW

AaronW Well-Known Member

Ok, that's good to know.

Hmm. Next time I'm out and about I'll have to do more research.

carver, One Shot and firefighter1635 like this.
  14. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

o_O
    That is IF, and I repeat IF the school allows carry concealed on their property. Not a single school in Ohio will allow a citizen to carry concealed on school property. (With the exception of dropping off or picking up your child, then your not allowed to exit your vehicle)

On a brighter side, there is a lot of school districts in Ohio that have armed themselves with staff members and our pos governor Kasich signed a bill the other day to allow concealed carry on college campuses. The kick in the teeth to it is the college can still ban them on their property.

Also, just driving by a school while armed isn't a crime. You just can't go on their property with it. A public street isn't school property.

carver, One Shot and Kweeksdraw like this.
  15. drymag

drymag Well-Known Member

There are irrational teachers like irrational others in any career field. If they pack, it should be on their person at all times. No desk or purse guns. Hope they think this out as you get some of these drug baby kids who are screwed up and they might just take away that gun.

firefighter1635, carver and One Shot like this.