another dumb question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gamehunter3
    (3/29/02 7:24:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All another dumb question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sometimes i just get crs syndrome. the wife and i are going out to the range tomorrow. we are going to do some sporting clays and i am also taking my sks and my m44 too. i know that i have heard this before but i can't remember what the best thing to use to clean my m44 after i shoot it with corosive ammo. thanks for the help.

jerry in florida sunny and 85

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 9:23:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: another dumb question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Boiling hot water, dry thoroughly, then regular solvent cleaning.

Some folks also use Windex right after shooting at the range - swab the bore with the windex and the ammonia in the windex neutralizes the acidity of the corrosive ammo. Then do the thorough clening back home.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/29/02 9:34:19 pm)
    I don't remember where I learned it, it has been a long time ogo, but I recommend you can get a quart of household ammonia, and cut a piece of 12 ga solid copper wire and drop it down into the jug. After about 2 weeks, the amonia will disolve some of the copper and put it in solution with the ammonia. The strength / smell of the ammonia will be reduced, and the solution, I think copper sulfate, or something will "like" the salts as well as copper residue in the bore. I dip a patch directly into the jug and swab the barrel imediately after shooting and do a thorough clean pryor to putting the firearm away.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/29/02 10:24:32 pm)
    I could never remember all the formulas, and I heard Windex can hurt the blueing if you are too liberal with it, don't know if it's true, so that's why I tracked down the WWII bore cleaner...

But the hot water treatment is supposed to be just the ticket too....

But the copper in the ammonia idea sound promising too...I wonder exactly what the compound would be.....Hmmmm..

I also heard of other household chemicals that work too, or else maybe Windex with something else in it, like maybe vinegar? I can't remember....
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

jonkx
    (3/30/02 1:15:21 am)
    I use WW2 surplus AND hot boiling water, then regular cleaner. Can't be too careful!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 9:15:44 am)
    The active ingredient in the Windex is the ammonia - and windex is at a lesser concentration than household ammonia. The copper in solution with the ammonia reduces the free ion electron particles (copper atoms bind the electrons) thus the reduction in smell - however, it also reduces the efficiency of the ammonia - voila! You reduce household ammonia to Windex strength! The plus factor for Windex is that it also contains a surfactant (soap) that helps to surround the neutralized particles and ease the removal. As to the Windex effect on blueing - it shouldn't be a problem if you wipe it off immediately, but if you leave any kind of acid or base material in contact with your blueing for any length of time, you will affect your blueing.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/30/02 10:04:42 am)
    Here's an old formula for corrosive bore cleaner:

1/2 cup sudsy ammonia

1 pint rubbing alcohol

1 teaspoon Ivory Liquid

Water to make one gallon

Also works well for soaking brass overnight, and makes a great window cleaner.