another gun ban push, Rendell in Pa.

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by shuttle28, Apr 15, 2009.

1. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

Apr 14, 2009 6:55 pm US/Eastern
    Rendell: Police Across State Are Outgunned
    PITTSBURGH The federal ban on assault weapons lapsed four years ago. Speaking out for the first time since the shooting deaths of three Pittsburgh police officers, Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell told reporters, "Our police all over the state are simply outgunned.'
    The governor says Pennsylvania and the nation must heed the lessons learned from the tragic deaths of Officers Paul Sciullo II, Stephen Mayhle and Eric Kelly.
    "The criminals have too many weapons of high power of semi-automatic nature," Gov. Rendell added. "They have clips that can fire 30, 100 bullets at one time..."
    In Harrisburg tomorrow, Rendell is expected to call for the reinstatement of the federal ban on the sale of AK-47s and other automatic firearms.
    "Assault weapons were not made to hunt," Rendell added. "No one goes out and shoots a deer with an AK-47 or an M-16. No one does. No one."
    Rendell says cities like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia should be free to institute tougher controls on cop-killing firearms and semi-automatic bullet clips.
    "If the city of Pittsburgh wants to enact their own gun laws, we should let them enact their own gun laws. You know, what may be right for Pittsburgh isn't right for McKean County, and I understand that, so maybe we should let local governments enact their own gun laws."
    Rendell says that was the law until 1996 when the legislature repealed all local gun laws -- but the governor says the murder of Officers Sciullo, Mayhle and Kelly ought to spur the General Assembly to act.
    "How much more of this are we going to have to put with before we get action," Rendell asked.
    (© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

2. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Appears Mr,Rendel ought to take a long look at the game laws he adminsters !!

Ak's,being .30 caliber,meet PA law for legal deer rifles.......Not to mention there's lots of choices based on the AR platform meeting the same criteria......

Just another politician seeking to enhance his vote gathering profile......>MW

3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Actually, I use an AK variant for deer hunting, and the sole reason is to prove a point to idiots like this. The expiration of the 'assault weapons' ban didn't cause a dramatic spike in these guns' availability to criminals. Already, one could purchase Egyptian MAADI rifles or MAK90s which had thumbhole stocks and possessed the same features as the other AK variants. The AR15 was still able to be purchased without its flash hider or bayonet lug. Remember that the 'assault weapons' ban only limited guns to 3 of the features deemed evil. I think they were a folding stock, flash hider, carrying handle, bayonet lug and pistol grip.

The functional availability of these guns remained the same throughout the so-called 'assault weapons' ban, legally. 30 round magazines and drums were available the whole 10 years because of massive stockpiling distributors did before the ban went into effect (although you weren't supposed to use a post-ban gun with a pre-ban magazine). This guy's a dumbass (pardon the French). There's nothing about the expiration of the ban that has increased availability of these guns to criminals. :rolleyes:

He's exploiting the constituency and media's ignorance to further a purely political agenda. :mad::rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. Ed K

Ed K Member

Work hard to get the SOB unelected, what ever it takes get it going, not just there but across the USA I just returned from Tea Party 2000 plus stood strong Proud of it

5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

A few points here....

A buddy of mine used to deer hunt as a kid. He used an SKS. I know a few people who, like ponycar17, use AKs for hunting.

The cops up there are outgunned, huh? I guess PA should take a lesson from the PDs in NC. The local county police here have AT LEAST one officer on duty with each shift who carries a FULL-AUTO M-16 in the trunk of his patrol car and is trained and certified in its use. Some of them even carry a Remington 870 (I think) 12ga in the car. Plus every officer on duty with the county PD carries an HK USP in .45ACP with three 15 round mags loaded with HydraShoks, plus one in the chamber for a total of 46 rounds. A good portion of the officers carry a Glock 27 in .40 S&W as a backup. CMPD in Charlotte have even more guys riding around with M-16s and shotguns in the cars I don't know about you guys, but I"d feel pretty UNDERGUNNED against these guys if I went whackamole:p

"Assault weapons" have clips that can fire "30, 100 bullets at one time"? So now they make stripper/charger CLIPS that can actually fire rounds?! Also, I thought an "assault weapon" had a removable MAGAZINE, not a CLIP. I really wish these closet-commies would do a little bit of research before they open their mouths:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

whenever the crap hits the fan... i have a special hacksaw blade for a special shotgun :D

7. topper

topper New Member

what are all these whiney anti gun nuts gonna do when there are no more legal guns and they, like everyone else, need some type of personal protection? don't count on the police as they are simply for law and order of the general population and cannot guarantee personal protection for any single person. when someone breaks in and holds hostages or worse, starts raping or murdering, what are you anti gun nuts gonna do then? well what are you gonna do? answer me! the anti gun nuts cannot answer that question because they know that the gun owners are right about personal/family protection. i shudder to think of anyone having to face an intruder or mugger or carjacker without protection. even with gun protection it would be bad enough. wake up you anti gun idiots and realize that without any sort of deadly force, you are an easy target. good luck, ya'll are gonna need it.

Keep both barrels loaded!

8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Rendell is an idiot union thug.

But I must point out that semi auto rifles of any kind are NOT legal for hunting anything in PA. Only semi shotguns can be used if plugged to three shots.

9. alhefner

alhefner New Member

PA won't allow the use of semi-automatic rifles for hunting at all?? That is just plain strange! The only semi-auto I have ever used for hunting was a Marlin .22 but I can't really see a reason not to allow them.

As for the wide spread misinformation concerning rifles in general, it really is up to us to educate as many people as possible. Right now, every "AK" style variant is being called an AK-47 and every M-16 look alike is being called an M-16. People on the street get the message that military weapons with select fire options are readily available at your local gun shop or gun show. WQe know that isn't true and we know that the stock and "look" of a rifle does nothing to actually change the operation of that weapon.

When idiots say that the police are "out gunned" they are usually also the first to scream when when cops ask permission to upgrade their fire power.

10. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

No, and I guess it is strange, I grew up with it, nothing new.

We can't even small game hunt with a semi 22 or shoot a varmint with a AR or any semi rifle. Semi auto rifles are only allowed for self defence, target and plinking.

The problem with PA are the two cities, Pittsburgh and Philly. That's where all the problems are. The rest of the state is fine. If you look at election county maps it's easy to see who voted in Obama...and Rendell. But I must say there are far more idiots in Philly.

11. shuttle28

shuttle28 New Member

Honestly, I'm getting blisters on my finger tips from all the letters i've been typing and sending to all these idiots. took the day off yesterday to attend another tea party, cause i'm a "gun loving, god fearing, right wing, radical, extremist", don't cha-know. I sent emails to rendell and others again yesterday, told him that prohabition never worked and never will, the constitution doesn't say to keep and bear arms (FOR HUNTING ONLY). that semi-auto means one shot at a time, not 30 or 100 at once. and that while pa, is out of touch with their hunting regs, there are plenty of states allowing the use of semi-auto rifles for hunting.

In fact I have been on the band wagon for awhile about updating pa's outdated hunting laws, we should allow semi-auto rifles, we should get rid of the shotgun pluged to three shell capacity law, and we should open up sunday hunting, pa is one of only i believe 11 states still not allowing sunday hunting.

12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Shuttle, a good point to be sure to make is that the 'assault weapons ban' didn't regulate the guns out of existence. The ban regulated some key features. You could still buy MAADI rifles and MAK90s, which were indeed AK variants during the so-called assault weapons ban. Attached are some pictures for comparison. You could still buy AR15s lacking some accessories as well. These 'accessories' didn't contribute to a much more lethal firearm. Rather, the guns were functionally identical to the pre-ban guns.

Below is a picture of a folding stock AK variant compared to a MAADI with thumbhole stock. Functionally, they are identical. The thumbhole stock would not have impaired the functionality inherent from any AK variant.

[​IMG]

Also, the only notable difference between pre-ban and post-ban ARs was the absence of a bayonet lug and flash hider, and who the heck really needed a flash hider with modern powder anyway? These anti's are just IDIOTS! :mad:

This is the most notable thing to bring to their attention. The ban did NOTHING. If they claim things are worse now it's likely because of the economy that the liberals helped to collapse, and NOT the guns.

13. ripper198

ripper198 New Member

Just to add to this one...I'm a police officer in PA and while I feel that the death of the officers was very tragic and unwarrented; I do not feel that a ban of any type of weapons will change anything in the future. If the gov takes "assault weapons" away from the public the only thing that will result in is law abiding persons not having what they want. Someone who is going to shoot a cop is sure enough willing to break the law to purchase an illegal weapon. And another thing, we are not outgunned(for the most part) I was in the infantry and I know the importance of bringing the right gun to a firefight which is why my bushmaster AR rides in the passenger seat next to me along with all the doodads on it.
    I hope for all of us that this gets passed over quickly....just wanted to add my thoughts

14. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

well take this with a grane of salt. I believe the price of some semi's are too cheap. Yea before you start throwing things at me hear me out. I think criminals are using primarly ak47's because in past years you could pick these things up for 2 1/2. It has become the new saturday night special. if these rifles were in the 1K dollar range i think criminals would find cheaper guns. lets face it criminals dont care what they are buying when it comes to a rifle. they want the most bang for the buck. I think this is a problem. The Ak gives a lot for the money.

as far as LE goes. I fell terrible that LeO were killed in the line of duty. But being a cop means that no matter what, a criminal is always going to have a gun. I gess it would be better for the cop if the criminal was carring a .25 and not a 762x39. We dont need a ban, but we might could use higher prices on the cheap ones though. if that helps keep certain guns out of the hands of criminals so lawful citizens can own then, i think i would be ok with that.

15. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

cyclone, I hear what you're saying but with crime guns being primarily stolen guns that are then resold for fractions of their real retail value I fail to see where the retail market is influencing their use by criminals. :confused: