The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first weapon I learned to NOT touch. It hung on a nail in the wall next to my grandfather's bed, but not in the holster. It's a .38 cal., 5-shot with 6" barrel. Markings are; on top of barrel "Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works, Fitchburg, Mass. U.S.A.", bottom of trigger guard "58342", under one-piece handle "H58342".

Any help with date of manufacture & value will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

You have a 3rd model made in 1923, for .38 S&W ammo.

It looks a bit rusty in your photos, but if the bore is decent the long barrel and 'Western Walnut' target grip might appeal to a shooter.

The military holster is of course not original to the gun, but may be worth a few bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you hrf. The gun could stand a good cleaning but it now looks exactly like it did 50+ years ago when I first saw it. The inside of the barrel looks okay but there is way too much play in the cylinder, especially in the cocked position, for me to want to shoot it. It's a keepsake now. Just knowing it was made 3 years after my father was born is something I'm happy to know. Again, thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.