The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Thanks, I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Seems like good logic, the wearing out of parts.

Hmm, post got moved, it was really about the actual gun, not ammo!

I've had my Marlin Glenfield out a few times now, and at first I was using Remington Thunderbolt roundnose ammo because I had a brick of those lying around. I was disappointed in the bad manufacturing and lead filth, so today I switched to copper plated Federal hollowpoints. Both brands seem to have trouble actually putting primers in their shells, but the Federals were much worse than the Remingtons. The Federals are causing all kinds of problems with the rifle and I'm wondering if the rifle just doesn't like hollowpoints? They don't seem to feed properly and I have to manually feed them in. In a tube of 18 I'm getting 3 or more misfires, and I put 120 rounds through it. I even had one crimped brass, but I didn't actually see what happened with that one.

I switched back to Remingtons and out of 54 shots I had maybe two shells that were duds and that was all. Those seem to feed properly and everything went well. The rifle is very clean and operates well. What to do? Roundnose ammo is hard to find around here, but maybe I should just use that?

I had a marlin 60 a few years back, it would fire almost anything, but like most auto loaders it jams with a little fouling, I would pull the trigger group and spay it down with Tetra Action blaster, let it dry .then spray with a lite coat of WD-40 I have used WD-40 for years on my Autos, the heaver oils will speed up gumming.

I agree with Army on the WD-40.
One of my favorite rifles is my Glenfield/Marlin mod 60. I don't think you're seeing leading. I think you're seeing powder fouling. I know people who shoot 22's competitively with plain lead (not copper washed) bullets & they never ever clean out their barrels. They just clean the action & get great accuracy.

The mod 60 needs to have the stock removed (one bolt) & the 4 screws that hold the action onto the reciever taken out. Use a toothbrush & WD-40 to get all the powder fouling off all the areas of the action. Take the bolt out & wipe it down & clean out the area inside the receiver where the bolt rides. Also make sure the bolt spring is clean. Use WD-40 everywhere you can. Regular gun oils are way too thick & cause too much friction in this gun. Don't listen to those who say WD-40 is not a lubricant-it says "lubricates" right on the can. As has been said You want to avoid building up powder fouling crud & WD is the best I've found in this gun. You should be able to shoot any 40 grain ammo however cheap if your gun action is clean & your bolt is sliding freely. The only ammo mine hasn't loaded well is the old "truncated" shaped bullet. HPs shpould be no problem.

"duds" are usually caused by light primer hits in dirty guns.

I'm thinking of trading it off in favor of a lever gun, I am convinced this Marlin hates me. I would get any of the Marlin levers though, they are well-made.
I bought a Marlin Model 80, bolt action 22 when I was in High School via mail order (that should tell you how old it is). It has always functioned perfectly and is more accurate than I am. I dressed it up with a 2-7 Redfield scope designed for a centerfire rifle and after a couple pump 22 rifles which I have traded off it is the only 22 rifle I own. In short buy a 22 rifle that is reliable and you shoot well and don't worry about any others as I doubt if you can wear it out.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I think I will take it apart again and get some WD-40 to try. The last time I had it apart, I bent the recoil spring a little, which was annoying but it still works fine. Difficult to get that back in. I plan to refinish the stock because it's chipping, and I think those squirrels would look so much better with Tru-Oil on them anyway. We'll see what happens, if I don't get better behavior out of it, it's definitely getting traded off in the spring, it's the only gun I have that I am not really attached to.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.