The Firearms Forum banner

Another Newbie - Need help with 9mm load data

5K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  georgerc 
#1 ·
Hello there ... Setting up my press for the first time ... Trying to determine correct depth/length and powder weight for a 9mm.

Using Xtreme Bullets 9mm 115 grain round nose and Bullseye powder.

Lyman guide shows info on a 115 gr HP as 3.5 to 4.8 gr and length at 1.090. This however is not a round nose bullet.

Alliant web site for bullseye powder shows 115 cprn at 5.1 grains max and minimum length at 1.135"

My confusion is that Lyman does not show info for the round nose 115 grain bullet and the hollow point data they show is a max 4.8 grains but the manufacturer site says max 5.1 grains but theirs is a round nose bullet.

Did discuss this with a friend and he suggests 4.3 grains at 1.137"

Also have questions on how to tell if my final crimp is good or too much.

Any ideas and suggestions for me? I appreciate any help and advice since I'm so new at this

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are using the Lyman manual then stay within their min and max.

I no longer use Bullseye so can't give you any ideas on that, I use titegtoup.

I keep my OAL at 1.100 for xtreme 115 grain bullets. The 4.3 grains that you friend suggests sounds like a good load (it is mid-range) as the Xtreme website suggest.

You don't need a "crimp" on 9mm, just close the "bell mouth" that you put in the brass. It is called a taper crimp but closing the bell mouth is about what it actually is! You do not want a heavy crimp because the 9mm cartridge head spaces on the mouth of the brass.

Get yourself a couple more manuals and do some reading!

BTW, almost forgot my manners, welcome to The Firearms Forum.

#6 ·
If you're bullets are plated bullets then start low for a jacketed bullet. Max jacketed loads are a bit too fast for plated bullets recommended velocity. If you want to use alliants data, reduce their max charge by 10% and start there. I wouldn't go any higher than 4.8gr. I would check hodgdons site for a round nose bullet OAL if alliant doesn't list one in that weight. You could also use a factory round to set up your OAL. Yes, the same powder charge can be used. Just start low and work up.

#8 ·
@DonV - I use Bullseye for all of my pistol loads, and I use Xtreme bullets in addition to several others. My go-to load for any 115 gr bullet is 4.1 to 4.3 gr. This produces a mid-range load with a MV of about 1000 fps, good for plated and clad bullets. I've settled on a COL of 1.080" for the HP types I load, as this length cycles through the actions of all the 9mm guns I shoot, including my friend's Norinco. I know that the books can vary widely on maximums, so I stick to safe, middle of the road charges.

#13 ·
Welcome to the forum!

#14 ·
Welcome to the forum. I am also fairly new here and to reloading. I load 9mm 115grn Berrys bullets and on their site it says 1.130" COL. I would assume it would be the same but whatever those guys are telling you is from vast knowledge and experience. Have fun!

#15 ·
Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing/frustrating world of reloading...

A couple thoughts. A lot of new reloaders are trying to load without data for the plated bullets they buy. I've only used about 1.500 plated bullets and I always use lead bullet load data (the "mid-jacketed loads are max. for plated bullets), but data/suggestions can be found on the bullet manufacturer's websites. I always suggest finding a load, in your manual (you do have some manuals, don't you?) before buying components. Many fewer headaches and mistakes that way.

For 9mm I suggest beginning with tried and true 124 gr. FMJ jacketed bullets and starting loads right out of the book. I also suggest data for the particular bullet come from the manufacturer (Hornady bullets, Hornady manual. Nosler bullets, Nosler manual, etc.), including powder charge and OAL for the particular bullet chosen. If you have bullets without data, match profile and weight for OAL, and learn the "Plunk Test". Use data from your manual and pay little attention to "helpful" forum members, range rats, gun counter clerks, or gun shop gurus. You need to get the basics down with tried and true, easy to load components then you can branch out to anything you deem safe.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...

#17 ·
If you go to Xtremebullets website, they have some load data:

Load Info

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell.

Unless you are using the exact same components as listed in your reloading manual, you'll need to compromise. That said, having different manuals will give you different information. So you'll have to pick a starting load and work up from there. I think that I have about six different manuals. Some manuals will give you a minimum and maximum load; which you could pick somewhere in the middle to start, depending on the velocity you want. Remember to be safe.

#18 ·
"Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp"

".
..can be run...", As I mentioned the "mid-range" formula is max. loading.

#19 ·
Nothing I can add here except what's already been discussed regarding crimp. "Kiss Crimp" is setting your bullet seating/taper crimp combination die to ever-so-light crimp the bullet so it does not move when you drop it from 24 " or push with about 15 lbs of pressure against the bench. (Measure, push, re-measure OAL-Overall Length)

The ONLY round that I give a firm, but not TOO firm crimp is .45-70 as I shall for my future rounds, . 45-75 and .38-55.

#20 ·
Hello there ... Setting up my press for the first time ... Trying to determine correct depth/length and powder weight for a 9mm.

Using Xtreme Bullets 9mm 115 grain round nose and Bullseye powder.

Lyman guide shows info on a 115 gr HP as 3.5 to 4.8 gr and length at 1.090. This however is not a round nose bullet.

Alliant web site for bullseye powder shows 115 cprn at 5.1 grains max and minimum length at 1.135"

My confusion is that Lyman does not show info for the round nose 115 grain bullet and the hollow point data they show is a max 4.8 grains but the manufacturer site says max 5.1 grains but theirs is a round nose bullet.

Did discuss this with a friend and he suggests 4.3 grains at 1.137"

Also have questions on how to tell if my final crimp is good or too much.

Any ideas and suggestions for me? I appreciate any help and advice since I'm so new at this
cant comment on the bullseye powder, I suppose the manufacturer data should be OK, as for the overall length, my reloading data showed, 1.100 inch, I do have some freedom munition new 9mm rounds ( pretty sure these are the rn extreme bullets ), they have them loaded at 1.150 inch, I believe 1.165 is max if memory serves, I also checked other factory 115gr rn same thing on the length, I had some reloaded with either dimension and settled on the 1.150 seems a bit more accurate to me.

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.