The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up a Mossberg 590A1 from Bud's. However it say in the ad "All NFA rules apply." I live in Florida (if that matters) and am confused as to what this means to me. Any
help would be
appreciated.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
"All NFA rules apply" means this not treated like a regular gun - you know, you send them an FFL, they ship it to the store, you fill out the 4473, get the call-in, take it home.

First, you need to find a dealer licensed for NFA. All dealers aren't. You need to find one with a Type 2 or Type 3 SOT attachment to their FFL.

You pay him for the gun, PLUS all transfer fees. He sends a copy of his FFL to Buds, who TRANSFERS the gun to him (which takes a little time). Then when it arrives you start the pile of paper needed to TRANSFER the gun to you. Some time later (my shortest wait was five weeks, my longest was eleven months) the transfer is approved, the paperwork is sent to your dealer, who calls you to come get your gun.

·
Super Moderator
26,843 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,843 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a Mossberg 590A1 from Bud's. However it say in the ad "All NFA rules apply." I live in Florida (if that matters) and am confused as to what this means to me. Any
help would be
appreciated.
Like Alpo said. That will cost you a $200 tax stamp plus all the other fees.
I'm not sure if that would fall under an AOW or SBS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO that shotgun in the photo is great for trying to hide under a trench coat, blasting in the general direction of the threat while screaming like Joe Biden and hurting your hand beyond that ???????
View attachment 115028
lol!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

Without a full description of what you intend to buy this info may be useless.
Does the shotgun have a barrel shorter than 18" ?
Is the overall length of the weapon less than 26" ?
yes and yes but I didn't think Bud's dealt w/"Class III" weapons (I know I know Class III is bs but you now what I mean). Plus the new Mossberg 590 Shockwave is "fully approved by the BATFE" whatever that actually means and it's got a 14" barrel but it scrapes by with an overall length of 26.37."
The 590A1 Tactical Cruiser w/ATI Pistol Grip Only pictured above has a 10.25" bbl and an overall length of 19." See my confusion?

·
Super Moderator
26,843 Posts
yes and yes but I didn't think Bud's dealt w/"Class III" weapons (I know I know Class III is bs but you now what I mean). Plus the new Mossberg 590 Shockwave is "fully approved by the BATFE" whatever that actually means and it's got a 14" barrel but it scrapes by with an overall length of 26.37."
The 590A1 Tactical Cruiser w/ATI Pistol Grip Only pictured above has a 10.25" bbl and an overall length of 19." See my confusion?
Buds does deal Class III. Last time I was in there, they were trying to sell me a 1919 on a tri-pod. Didn't have that much cabbage in my pocket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"All NFA rules apply" means this not treated like a regular gun - you know, you send them an FFL, they ship it to the store, you fill out the 4473, get the call-in, take it home.

First, you need to find a dealer licensed for NFA. All dealers aren't. You need to find one with a Type 2 or Type 3 SOT attachment to their FFL.

You pay him for the gun, PLUS all transfer fees. He sends a copy of his FFL to Buds, who TRANSFERS the gun to him (which takes a little time). Then when it arrives you start the pile of paper needed to TRANSFER the gun to you. Some time later (my shortest wait was five weeks, my longest was eleven months) the transfer is approved, the paperwork is sent to your dealer, who calls you to come get your gun.
Christ! Not worth it. As ral357 pointed out I'd probably just injure myself with the thing anyway. These rules are really arbitrary though aren't they? I can see why people complain about the red tape on some firearms when you're talking about a difference of a few inches. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
help would be
appreciated.
Gonna go with the 590 Shockwave instead. No additional hoops...

Reactions: whitesub93

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you want a short legal shotgun.........kel Tec msg, just over 26" in overall length, barrel length 18.5".

View attachment 115099
Have you noticed that that gun bears a striking resemblance to a Super Soaker? lol. Anyway priced out of my range but it is badass and would cover the intimidation factor quite well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I certainly don't need that. Suggestions for avoiding that?

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
No, you're slightly confused. I have never lost hold of mine.

Mississippi pistol.jpg

You can shoot it for accuracy - hold it up like it has a buttstock, pull back on the grip while pulling forward on the forearm with the other hand. Locks it in place, like isometric exercise. Accurate, but slow.

You can shoot it one-handed, like a dueling pistol. Accurate, but the back of the triggerguard puts a bruise on my bird finger.

Or you can shoot it from the hip. Inaccurate as hell - leastways for me. Hip shooting with a regular rifle or shotgun, the butt is against your side and you use you body to aim. Accuracy is fairly easy. But with a pistol grip gun it is not touching your body. You are "aiming" by guess. I pull too hard with my left hand, and shoot to 10:00 instead of 12.

I enjoy it, but know it for what it is - a toy.

Now the flying shotgun involved my friend Bob, his new Remington Witness Protection gun, and a couple of beers.

He had picked up a box of miscellaneous 12 gauge shells from under the counter (do all gun shops/ranges have bunches of open boxes of all kinds of ammo below the register, or was it just us?) and we went out to the range. He taught me with his gun (my paper wasn't back so I couldn't cut mine yet) those two shooting positions.

The he pulled a 3 inch duck load - 2 ounces of #2s - out of the box and said, "Hey, watch this".

Being a good southern boy, I knew that meant to get the hell away.

He fired that one-handed, and it recoiled so hard it came up and smacked him between the eyes, cutting a nice VERY bloody gash. Slipped out of his grasp and came flying across the room at me, spinning like a boomerang.

I decided that, even though my gun is also a 3", I would stick to 2 3/4.

:D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts