Another Question?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns Guest

Killa2344ejyahoocom
    (4/9/02 9:35:24 pm)
    Reply Another Question?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Folks
    Yeah it's me again. This time I'm wanting to know, do heavy barrels really increase accuracy. Tell me about your experiences with heavy barrels, in comparisons with regular barrels.
    Thanks Guy's

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (4/10/02 9:12:58 am)
    Reply Re: Another Question?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Heavy barrels do not heat up as quick, they have more area to dissapate heat.

I believe the accuracy differance can only be noticed when doing serious benchrest shooting. I shoot just as good offhand with my light rifles as I do with my 14lb rifles.

nevada paul
    (4/10/02 10:49:48 am)
    Reply Heavy barrels
    Warpig is right about the heat dissipation. Heavy barrels should also be stiffer, more resistant to erratic vibrations which can cause fliers.

In addition to these advantages, the extra weight should be of some benefit in holding steady, whether it's from a rest or from a sling. I find that I can hold more steadily from offhand with a heavier rifle.
    For out-right target work, such as NRA over-the-course or for any kind of benchrest game, probably the heavier the better up to a point.
    If you're planning a varmint gun you'll be lugging it in the field and you should consider the accuracy benefits of extra weight against the hassle of lugging a 10 or 12 pound gun.